TAMU review admit?

I am graduating in the class of 2020 and am looking to go to the Mays Business school for a finance major. I however do not meet the requirements for automatic admission. I am ranked top 30% at my school which is very competitive. My uw gpa is 3.4 and my weighted is 3.7. My sat score is a 1470. What are my chances of getting in to the Mays Business school?

@blacknebula3344 Until they go to a holistic review for the major, you have very little to no chance of getting in as a freshman. HOWEVER, that doesn’t mean you won’t get into TAMU and possibly change major after you complete the requirements and apply. It’s highly competitive, but if you have your mind set on Finance… then make it happen.

My son wanted finance… got economics and loves it. He’s applying for the MS Finance program (as a sophomore). If he gets accepted, he’ll start on masters program while in undergrad and finish one year post BS graduation. It’s a great option for students like you.

If you aren’t auto admit or academic admit don’t you automatically become a review admit? I feel like my sat score is definitely more than high enough to enter this school. My rank is low but the average unweighted gpa at TAMU is a 3.5. I have taken the Math 2 and Us history subject tests and gotten 770+ on both of them. I also have taken 6 AP classes before the start of senior year. in addition my high school is one of the most competitive in the Houston area. In fact, more than half of my school graduates with honors! I would understand if i was applying to engineering but isn’t finance a little easier? I feel that I should at least have a chance for regular admission? Also no disrespect I am just curious as to whether i have a chance of getting into this school through normal means (no transfer).

Sorry I didn’t explain it well enough. You will definitely be a holistic review applicant. Yes your sat score is good. My point is mainly auto and academic admits get into Mays because it’s first in gets the major. We saw some review admits get into mays this last cycle but it’s a very low probability.

Engineering is completely holistic review regardless of auto or academic admit status. That’s what I meant by “if” Mays ever gets to that level, then yes your sat score will help you. Your ranking will hurt you regardless of how competitive your school is.

And I said change of major not transfer. Changing your major into Mays requires minimum 3.8 GPA to be considered. They currently only take 100 per year.

Hope this helps

OK thank you for clarifying. I have one more question though. Is gateway a viable option for me? Someone told me about it but I don’t really understand it. All I know about it is that it is a summer class that allows you admission. Is this a thing for Mays? And how difficult is it to get in and successfully complete Gateway?

Gateway is an alternative pathway that is given by tamu. It is not something you apply for. It’s original purpose was for students who need extra support like first gen college students or other circumstances. Most students who go through gateway have no problem completing the summer courses and going straight into tamu with their class. I love this program. I wish it was something you could apply for.

How about for the engineering school? Does being a review applicant ruin a student’s chances of acceptance into to the engineering school the same way it does for the business school applicants? I understand that all engineer applicants undergo a holistic review anyway, but does being a review applicant delay the process of acceptance into TAMU so long that the engineering program fills up in the meantime (or are there any other issues that I’m not thinking of)?

My OOS DD has an ACT score of 31 (Math 30, English 31), has completed AP Physics (A-) and AP Calc BC (A) in her junior year, and has a weighted GPA of 4.15. She also comes from a competitive school and missed the top 25%. Her rank is 27%. She plans to submit her application on July 1, but she is worried that being a review admit will delay the review of her application and that she will not get accepted into the engineering program because of being a review admit.

If applying in early July, when can review applicants be accepted into TAMU? Are their applications reviewed later than auto and academic admits? Or are applications reviewed as they come in? And is there an order for review for the engineering school? Are review applicants at a disadvantage for choice of major or for housing (if they still submit early)? I’m confused how this process works.

@nukerules Im not an expert on this school but I know that fro engineering all applicants are holistic. This is good for you as your application will be looked at but my application has a very low chance of being looked at due to all the auto acceptances for Mays.

@nukerules your daughter has a good chance for engineering or engineering academy which is almost the same in that they go through the same classes and apply to a major the same way after freshman year.

Yes the rank hurts her for being accepted into tamu but we do like strong oos students so if she stacks up well with her class, she has a good chance at some form of acceptance. Keep in mind… any pathway into tamu for engineering is coveted.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

@blacknebula3344 That is really unfortunate…I’m sure it must be very frustrating to not be considered when you have such a high SAT score. Congrats on such a great score!

@AggieMomhelp Idk if you know about UTD but what do you think my chances are for UTD?

@blacknebula3344 I don’t know much about how competitive they are but I know it’s a great school and becoming more of a campus feel than before.

@BlueBayouAZ … any insight for UTD and business competitiveness or just about the campus in general for this student?

@blacknebula3344

You have great scores, and will thrive at TAMU. It is just unfortunate that you want a major in the Mays Business School. They only take 1000 Freshman and all seats are usually filled completely with Top 10% Automatic and Top 25% Academic Admits. Your rank of 30 % is outside of the Academic Admits.

A great alternative for your Finance target is the pathway that AggieMomHelp son went through, majoring in Economics and planning on the masters in Finance. Ag Business is also an alternative.

Send in your application on the day that it opens if at all possible. The earlier the better, but you will still have to wait out the holistic review process and it just takes a long time.

Have you taken an official tour of TAMU? Schedule one on a day when classes are in session, plus schedule an appointment with advisors in Mays/Finance and also with Economics and or Ag Business and also ask to sit in on a class or two. Eat lunch on campus, take a dorm tour, drive around off campus (look at off campus housing/shopping/groceries/entertainment, etc). Take note of the drive time to and from your home as you could be making that trip at least a couple of times each semester.

If you have other schools that you are really interested in, also make visits to those campuses and evaluate them on all of the criteria above and any other criteria that are important to you. You need to find a place where you fit in best.

I don’t have any children in Mays, just 2 Aggies of other majors. The Aggie life is great and the Aggie network is very valuable, but the Aggie life doesn’t fit everyone. There are other good schools in the huge state of TX.

UTD is up and coming and will probably offer scholarships to someone with your stats. It is a much smaller school, but you might get more personalized interaction. When my younger daughter visited UTD, a Dean showed up to her advisor interview! They really wanted her, but she felt like the school was too small. If she had wanted something beyond majoring in English, that might have been an better fit for her. It was on her list because it was in Dallas.I know it is good for some of the computer majors, not sure about it’s fit for Finance.

UH especially their Business School and Honors Colleges are extremely good. I know a few CEOs who are UH grads. UH is a very urban campus and that didn’t appeal to my daughter. UH may also offer scholarships since you have great stats.

TTU is also a good school, the location is a drawback for us as we are not in the panhandle. Your great stats will probably also earn scholarships at Tech.

If scholarships are necessary for you, please understand that TAMU offers very little scholarship money.

Good luck, keep us posted.

@AggieMomhelp Thank you for the insight! And yea UTD is my second option. One thing I’m worried about is not being able to participate in events like Aggies on Wall Street or Horizons. Can i still be a part of these with an econ major?

@blacknebula3344

All of the Business related stuff is really outside my experience, but I googled Aggies on Wall Street and it looks like it is also available to students in the Masters of Finance program. Not sure if that is also the program that Economics Majors have taken in order to break into Finance or not. The Horizons site said it was not affiliated with TAMU and I couldn’t see what the requirements were. You should contact the programs and ask.

My suggestion is that you should apply to TAMU asap, put Finance as your first choice and Economics as your second choice. If you don’t get offered Mays/Finance, I would really expect that you would get offered Economics. So then you could sign up for the Masters of Finance program.

Just be aware that there is little to no merit scholarship money out there for TAMU. If you have financial needs, your scores will really help. Just don’t take out a lot of loans if at all possible. Don’t bet on having a high paying job right out of college. If you have a lot of college debt, you may have to put off buying a house and other things. Just my 2 cents.

@AggieMomAgain Thanks for the input! Paying isn’t a problem as my parents are willing to pay as long as I stay in Texas.

@blacknebula3344

That is great that your parents will fund your college degree. Just make sure that they know that if you go the Masters of Finance route at TAMU that there will be tuition costs for longer than 4 years. Make sure that everyone knows the costs/time etc so that there are no surprises.

I don’t know anything about Finance at UTD, but since it is close to you, please go there and check out all of the possibilities. It may be just what you want in the long run.

Good luck, keep us posted!

@blacknebula3344 the MS finance program does allow you to apply to Aggies on Wall Street if you are accepted into the MSF program your sophomore year. The MS finance is competitive as well, but with a strong freshman GPA and dual credit, you’ll be good

@AggieMomAgain Sorry but what exactly is the Masters of Finance degree? I was planning on getting an mba at a more selective college in the future. How does the Masters of Finance degree help you?

That’s the only way, aside from being in Mays, that you can apply for Aggies on Wall Street.

If you want mba then you wouldn’t do this. Just get Econ degree which is an amazing program and has a lot of areas it will help you in. This is assuming you don’t get into Mays as a freshman.