TCU nursing

I’m looking for feedback on TCU’s nursing program. I understand it’s competitive in terms of acceptance but I’m interested in the overall culture and quality of education, e.g. is the nursing staff supportive, are the clinicals well rounded, do graduates feel well prepared for a nursing career, is the grad school acceptance rate high, etc. The limited info I can find on rankings seems to be all over the place. Other schools we’re considering include Belmont, Samford and Baylor. Thanks!

You might want to post in the nursing thread on this site which has some participants, also there are other websites with nursing forums that may be more active and where you’re more likely to get responses.

I will point out that TCU is a direct admit school for nursing but not all of your schools appear to be. Baylor is not on the list at Direct Admit Nursing Programs so you’ll want to make sure how Baylor selects for their program. Direct admit is pretty important because it guarantees you’ll get a BSN if you finish the program (still worth looking into the details, some direct-admit schools may have a gpa cutoff to continue). At schools that are not direct admit you have to apply for the nursing major after two years. Often they rank applicants and take the first 100 or however many they have seats for. If you’re not chosen then you’re not in a good place; to become a nurse you’re going to have to find somewhere to transfer.

1 Like

I don’t have knowledge about the TCU nursing program specifically, but I notice that this thread is tagged “Christian colleges,” and the other three choices you mention (Belmont/Samford/Baylor) are known for having evangelical Christian cultures with significant numbers of religiously-active students. My daughter has friends or acquaintances at all 4 of these schools right now; I would say that TCU, despite the word “Christian” in the name, is much different than the others in that respect. You could certainly find devout Christians there if you searched, but the school does not promote or favor Christianity vs. any other religion, and students I’ve known there find the school to be essentially secular. Not criticizing that, just noting because it seems you are looking for a specifically Christian campus environment. If I’m off-base, feel free to disregard.

2 Likes

Reach out to the nursing program directly with your questions. Admissions offices or academic advisors can often provide insights into program culture, clinical experiences, and post-graduation outcomes.