TCU

<p>This place is A SCAM!!!! Do NOT go there. It's built around luring students in with a falsifying website and promotionals which make it better than it is. You go there, your GPA could possibly drop PURPOSEFULLY, which they are doing to falsely in-flate their rankings (why have they climbed up so quickly?), with bad teachers, textbooks which don't match with schoolwork, pop quizes w/o adequate lecturing.. </p>

<p>and did I mention, their financial department uses MANUAL machines to count your finances? They will ONLY refund you in $20 bills, instead of $100s, so I think they ripped off $100 from the $1000 I was supposed to get by counting it wrong. Then they say they have no $100s, then they make it EXTREMELY difficult to get back your refunds, from say, a scholarship, by only giving you $100 PER DAY. </p>

<p>THEN their bookSTORE seems larger than their library, which is only 3 stories.
THEN their Spanish "book" is $157 for like some skinny thing which doesn't even follow the class, and they don't use it really or give out homework (there's no homework in ANY of their classes, btw, just POP quizes and Q&As where you learn WRONG answers from other stuents)... </p>

<p>One prof actually SCARED one student and like every day asked if the students thought they were scared. </p>

<p>They DON"T want to give you your money, but TAKE everything you have for lousy curriculum, horrible professors who don't even teach, horrible textbooks (or lack of them in some classes - then the prof will tell you to write terms down and learn them, but doesn't even explain them or give textbooks which define them)..
students there have LOW GPAS there, ON PURPOSE, to falsely in-flate their rankings..</p>

<p>Then let me tell you a secret, if you go to their counseling office, WATCH OUT. Only an insider could tell you this, believe or not... you could get sent to a mental hospital. Odd? It is, I was told honor students, perfectionists ect had been sent to a place for a min of 7 days, and not allowed on campus/go to class unless they do it, then they go back to class, can't keep up, then eventually go home. Their GPAs are TANKED, PURPOSEFULLY. Scary nightmare? You bet it is. Especially if you go there on their GPA scholarships, which are the only scholarships they offer (no fin need ones), so you cannot afford it anymore. Then that sinks into a financial hole anymore. I've been to other universities/colleges before, the textbooks, materials are the same or even better, the place is a scam, and really, be careful, especially about your GPA and that counseling center, and also the financial services department. It's a lie.. also, there's almost no club activities on campus, although their website claims there are 140 clubs, their GK almost disbanded for 4 years, e.g., and there is no Associate Students or any class elections. Also, there's really no system to help students' GPAs with tutoring, resource centers, ect. They claim at orientation there is some, but there really isn't, and they want you to pay for it. It's all a business and a little scary considering how people get scammed. Watch out for that place.</p>

<p>Wow… i thought that TCU was a great college and Texas State University state was the worst.</p>

<p>I have seen this post posted on many sites… Don’t take it as fact, just another copy paste</p>

<p>Actually, this is totally and completely true. I wrote this review, but forgot the password for that account. I should have gone to UC Davis or a legitimate school, instead. You call that “teaching”? With the GPA I have, I got full ride, including room and board, with the scholarships I had. I hadn’t heard of the school before, and somebody over there had suggested it to me… was going to move to get to know them, then attend a nursing school over there (which are easier to get into vs California for a plethora of reasons).</p>

<p>Thankfully, with this GPA still, I can go anywhere for graduate school or professional school. And to a legitimate place, too! If you want “depth” of understanding, don’t go there.</p>

<p>But, in comparison to DFW community colleges, I guess that’s a step up. Instead of going there, I was thinking of just taking a winter intersession course. The “teacher” put up 4 tests, and said “learn it” in an online class… no powerpoints, no videos, no reading schedule, no essays, no assignments. Just a “welcome to the class” discussion post and 4 tests. Fantastic (sarcasm). So I refused to spend my time there. Though, that one “teacher” over at TCU was sort of like that… The one that “scared” students… he puts up a powerpoint on the board for these terms… then he doesn’t even lecture on them! Then the website said there were 2 textbooks for the class, but then he says there aren’t any. So I bought two textbooks for no reason. It was supposed to be about Texas government, but then it was about U.S. government (and more like U.S. History). Then he says “look it up on google” the terms, write the terms down, or check out a U.S. government book at the library, which is under construction. The question on the quiz was super easy, but he said google it, if he had lectured on it, it would be pointless to even do the quiz. The entire class is spent asking questions on current events, and not even on the terms which will likely be on the test or even the subject.</p>

<p>So, I guess, in comparison to the CC’s there in DFW, I guess a step up. But in comparison to Calfornia CC’s, CSU’s, and UC’s, it’s no match at all in depth. So, I guess it’s relative. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>While they may be using other methods to inflate their rankings, this would not help them one bit. Undergraduate GPAs are not included in the USNWR methodology. Meanwhile, USNWR does give substantial weight to retention (do the students admitted stay at the school?) and graduation rate (do the students admitted complete a degree?). Both of these stats would be harmed, not helped, by grade deflation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sadly, quality of instruction is not considered in the USNWR rankings. If you expected to automatically get top-100 teaching from a top-100 ranked university, you were expecting something the rankings do not indicate at all.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Common occurrences on almost all college campuses. In some of the best classes I have had, the lecturer deliberately covered material differently than the text, to ensure that the students were exposed to the concepts of the subject in multiple ways. Students are often expected to be using the text as a reference to expand and enhance the learning gained in lecture, and are quizzed accordingly to see that they are learning from all available sources.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Again, a common practice. $100 bills are uncommon in the US and are neither accepted nor issued by many domestic businesses. The majority of the $100s in circulation are held outside the US. </p>

<p>Incidentally, did you know that if you accept a large amount of cash like that, you are accepting the risk that one of the bills might prove to be counterfeit? I lost $100 once because I took a cash withdrawal from one bank and took it to the bank next door to make a deposit. Even though the teller at the first bank confirmed to the second teller that I had just withdrawn cash, I lost $100 on that transaction anyway and the bill went off to the Secret Service in an envelope.</p>

<p>Life lesson: when taking large withdrawals get a check whenever possible. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If they did so, the mistake could have been made in either denomination just as easily. Moreover, any time you are receiving a large amount of cash it is wise to repeat the count yourself and immediately notify the cashier if there is a discrepancy. Normally, if you notify the cashier immediately of the miscount, they can easily verify their drawer count in comparison to their transaction history and confirm whether you are correct. I have twice corrected a large count in my life and been correct. It only required 5-10 minutes to wait for them to verify my count and realize that I was in the right. Many hundreds of dollars saved on those two transactions because I took the time to count it myself.</p>

<p>Life lesson: when taking cash, verify the count. But see the previous life lesson to avoid this problem entirely.</p>

<p>Ultimately, you may have some legitimate complaints here, but they are so buried under a bunch of inflammatory, scaremongering polemical nonsense that it’s impossible to find the wine of truth amidst all your sour grapes.</p>

<p>TCU is a good, solid school. It isn’t a top 25 school. The things you are complaining about are really odd. And, your inability to write and express yourself coherently may be a window into your struggles in any school. Rather than rant about odd problems, you might focus on channeling all that angst towards learning and growth. I seriously can’t take this post seriously or give you any degree of credibility. Just stop.</p>

<p>I currently am a freshman at TCU and could not disagree more with that post. I am loving TCU and find the people and professors so friendly. I would highly recommend to TCU to anyone looking at colleges.</p>

<p>The title of the thread was changed, I see. Hmmmm interesting…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Most students at the school are admitted as freshman, so they haven’t transferred in from other colleges. It’s not set up for transfers, so don’t go in as a transfer student.</p>

<p>Also, if you go into the school as a freshman, you can get into their nursing program with C’s, because freshman get priority, so, of course, with things like that, it would improve retention, but not GPAs.</p>

<pre><code>

</p>

<p>Enough said, then it does not consider quality of teaching, of which is dismal there.</p>

<pre><code>

</p>

<p>Not there. Maybe at your college, but what is lectured on is not “extra” to get more depth. Actually, what is in the textbook is on the test, if the textbook coincides with the class or if there is one. They are not exposing students to different ways like at your college to enhance learning.</p>

<pre><code>

</p>

<p>They suggested I take cash since it was a $1000 temporary loan, which was taken out of the $5,700 I was supposed to get in total for apartment, gas, groceries, ect.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I did notify the cashier. I recounted it and said it was $100 off. They recounted and claimed it was a $1000, there obviously was no arguing with them, so I just took it and went because since they were only giving $100 per day before, I was behind on rent, groceries, gas, ect. Their policy is to give $100 per day when you do not “click refund” correctly on their website. So, when I should have had it earlier, since they made it difficult to get refunded and not clear, I would only get $100 per day then have to wait another week or so to get the total amount.</p>

<p>They make it difficult to get your money back. In fact, if you don’t specify to get refunded correctly, they could actually just KEEP the funds you give them in the student account. Notice: tuition is about $38,000 per year or more… I also had full living costs taken care of, which is around $50,000.</p>

<p>You pay all this money, to get absolutely no goods. You can get better education at other colleges, better teachers, better curriculum, and for less false cost. Then to get ripped off? Websites and ads which don’t match the reality… That’s a scam. Just warning you. Most people though, won’t notice illusions.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The school is also racist and sexist too. It’s a silent, one, though. At Frog Camp they had derogatory “jokes” which are really racist and sexist. There’s another review which says it is racist, which is true. Minorities are silently ostracized. It seemed segregated by minorities sticking to themselves mostly, and the others in the other groups. And if you hug one, not a good idea. Also, on the bus going back, people were very close-minded and suspicious of outsiders. They had, what could be considered, racist and sexist conversations going on. The professor of the U.S. Government/Texas class was specifically choosing the female students to scare. One was scared and flinched. Then they grimaced the entire class. This seemed to happen every class period.</p>

<p>In fact, I talked to a person working there who had gone to UCLA for their education. They went there because jobs are easier to get and find (because no one wants to work in that place). They said if you go to smaller towns in Texas and are a minority, you’ll get harassed. It’s also in DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth Area, I was specifically in Fort Worth), but more silent and relational-power-like. As in, not to your face or said outright, but by their actions and behind your back.</p>

<p>They hire them to positions, but really are merely fulfilling a quota. Most people will not see past illusions, however.</p>

<p>Also, as stereotypes in other reviews state, they are correct. They are snobby, they do put each other down frequently, there’s little cooperation, they think they are the best, yet as seen they are not. They are also materialistic, which is an aspect of putting each other down, along with the other information. These stereotypes in other reviews ring true. They also don’t care if you are on a scholarship to that place - they prefer it if your parents paid for it all. However, it’s a complete scam to take all your money and give horrible quality, along with the discrimination, ect. It’s a false idea. Also, don’t try to speak out against any of that, because they don’t like that either. They all look alike, supposed to be similar, and are to be docile clones who like the school. If you do not like the school or find flaws which should be improved, they wish for you to leave, because they are always the best in their minds.</p>

<p>Also, about the GPA’s tanking from horrible teaching and curriculum (maybe you should see how many get into grad schools with such GPA’s, causing Golden Key to disband for 4 years), one transfer from the area said they were afraid their GPA would drop. They came in with almost a 4.0. Obviously on Merritt Scholarships ($18,000 per year for above 3.75), and I guess they had heard it happens to people. Also, many students need loans. If you lose Merritt Scholarships from poor quality, which clearly happens to many people, prepare to take out many, many loans or have to pay more from your parents’. They also do not offer any financial need scholarships… only Merritt. If you do not have health insurance from a private provider and go from out-of-state, prepare to also pay ~$956 for health insurance PER SEMESTER, because it’s required you then buy /their/ AETNA health insurance or use your parents’.</p>

<p>Prepare to lose, lose, lose money for not much in return for what you pay for, or worse. Just a warning for all you consumers out there, because really, you are a consumer at that school, not a student. There are also many ways for you to spend money on food on campus. A regular T-Shirt is $35 at their student store which really should be $15 because of poor quality. Buy, buy, buy, lose, lose, lose! A waste when you get nothing or terrible non-quality in return. Maybe file for bankruptcy… they wouldn’t mind it!</p>

<p>You need to change that title back to “This school is a Scary SCAM! Do NOT waste your money or time!”</p>

<p>Whether or not I wrote it… some people wish to stay anonymous to protect their privacy. The title was clearly changed from “This school is a Scary SCAM! Do NOT waste your money or time!” To the general “TCU” by texaspg so less people would look at it than the prev title which gets people’s attention and what the thread really is about</p>

<p>Not all is positive and sometimes it’s good to hear some negative</p>