Teaxas at Austin vs Wisconsin -Madison

<p>I don't know what to do. I want to major in Computer Science. I've been admitted to UT and UW. Both CS departments tied at #9 in the country. Want to go to UW but I haven't been accepted in the major unlike UT where I'm already considered a CS Major.... What should I do?</p>

<p>Epic Corporation is in Verona Wi -right next to Madison. About 35-40% is oos students so I'm not sure about the being around Wisconsinites vs Texanites idea. I've worked in the campus area for a long time and students are a mix from all areas. I have to agree with the beauty of the campus. The change of seasons just adds to that. There is never a lack of things to do on campus and a lot readily within walking distance for students. I certainly have nothing negative to say about the UT-I really know nothing about it. I do have a lot of experience with UW-Madison. Graduated from there and work connected to campus for many years. Madison is well known for research is areas of stem cell research, physics, virology and much more. I know the CEO of Yahoo is a former UW Madison CS alumni and Google has established a location in Madison. Microsoft has also established a research location in Madison.</p>

<p>To major in CS at UW you just need to make a 2.6 GPA in some required classes. If you can't do that you probably are not suited to CS as a major.</p>

<p>How</a> to Become a Computer Science Major</p>

<p>Remember- you get admitted to the university as a whole, it doesn't matter what your intended major is. I prefer the different looks of various buildings to any campus with boring uniformity and/or a parklike setting.</p>

<p>I would say most people find a similar building style and parklike setting more attractive.</p>

<p>There are numerous georgeous spots on campus (Bascom Hill, Observatory Drive, the Union Terrace), but in my opinion only a few interesting buildings - the art museum (is Conrad Elvehjem turning in his grave now that it's called the... whatever?), and... I'm really opening myself open here: Mosse Humanities. Historical Society, Union, Bascom, Science are all good quality historical styles and near to one another. Head away from central campus and you may as well be in Office Park #5 at Exit 34B someplace. Even the new Union South building looks like a bore. </p>

<p>Where is the intellectually challenging architecture? Where is the public sculpture? If it weren't for the hills and the lake it'd be fugly. Maybe it has to do with State requirements that only in state firms get the main contracts for this design work? Or is it the lack of a school of Architecture to facilitate a quality discussion? I had many classes with Prof. Menocal (the only Architectural Historian at the time) and I can tell you campus architecture was RARELY discussed in class.</p>

<p>Again, I think the campus is the most beautiful in the midwest and a contender nationwide, but the architecture and art could be so much more.</p>

<p>Omar1502, CS at Wisconsin is fine. I think only EE needs 3.3 GPA to get in. I only minored in CS many years ago and most of people I knew went to California. The CS building however is not very close to the lakes, so you have to walk to enjoy them. One thing I remembered was at beginning of my operating system class, the professor said don't take operating system and compilers at the same time because only two brothers survived the previous year.... You will enjoy Madison, summer or winter.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice ewho!</p>

<p>Remember that you spend more time looking at what is around buildings than at buildings. Students don't generally view the lake from a classroom building- you enjoy it from outdoors, the Union, White Library or dorms. You also don't live in a classroom building, although there are apts next to Comp Sci- (already gone for next year) 5 minutes from bed to class... </p>

<p>It also doesn't matter what most people like/want- always remember that it is what YOU personally like that counts.</p>

<p>Incoherent architectural styles are common to any major land grant college, since they had a building boom in the 60s and 70s to admit the vast number of Baby Boomers and GI-Bill-ers that wanted to go to school. Overall, I'd say the University has a somewhat coherent style, but only in different "bunches." The tan colored stone, red roof seems to be what defines UW-Madison (and UT usually, too). Luckily, quite a few buildings are getting torn down and I think the new Union South will look quite nice.</p>

<p>The Engineering Campus could use a much better "face" though. It's unfortunate that it needs to be located in front of such a major exchange of two of the cities busiest streets.</p>