Terrible GPA, Amazing ECs and Test Score (extenuating circumstances) [HS graduate in gap year, 3.1 GPA after repeating D/F grades, 1590 SAT, limited money]

I took quite a few classes with dual-enrollment right before these medical issues arose, so I dropped it a couple of weeks before the semester ended. I was informed that they stayed on my record, so I am sure that this complicates things?

More data budget-wise: >65k (however most money is being spent toward bills), 17296 EFC score, but as an independent I am pulling 30k pretax annually through my internship.

1 Like

This was an extremely helpful response, thank you.

The faculty member I work with now has already stated that it is close to impossible to convince the office of my case, just because of the sheer absurdity of my transcript. However, I will look into some of his colleagues that might be interested in taking me under. The same applied to music, but less so. I had an old cello teacher at UMich who I stated had an interest in attending there both academically and artistically, but he said he did not have enough political pull in the admissions office to do anything.

I am very skeptical about my ability to get into the colleges that are test blind, but I have heard of a lot of miracle stories at Northeastern in terms of acceptance. Thank you for putting it out for me. I will consider the CC route more.

2 Likes

Stayed on your college record as W (withdrawn courses) or F (failed courses)? F would be a lot worse than W.

1 Like

Withdrawn.

1 Like

Did you ask for a medical leave of absence or an incomplete?

You’re not an independent for college purpose till you’re 24, unless emancipated by a judge before your 18th birthday. Your income is added to your parents’. However if you have proof of medical bills some meet-need colleges take that into account.

You can’t re-apply to the colleges where you applied before. Adcoms simply don’t go “oops we made a mistake last year”. You could throw a hail mary pass with re-applying to Brandeis and/or Northeastern but those are basically out of reach due to your 3.1 GPA and the fact you’re applying for a 2nd time.

CLEP US History, Biology, and Chemistry.

Major = apply for Neuroscience or Cognitive science + CS and Linguistics minors. Or apply for Linguistics with CS and Cognitive Science minors. Linguistics is not very common as a major at the undergrad level though.

Apply to UMass Lowell (honors, even) and UMass Amherst.
After that, check out the following colleges:
Wheaton (MA, NOT IL)
College of Wooster (for the required research)
UCincinnati (for the co-ops)
Marist (for the CS college and partnership with IBM)
UMaine

Cello + Math/research may help at St Olaf (nationally known for math and for music, solid CS, excellent neuroscience/partnership with Mayo clinic, Midwestern, reach, show interest early).

4 Likes

You seem hell bent on getting into a highly selective college, but with that high school record, it is not going to happen. Be happy you got into the local state college. You need to move on from the idea of getting into a highly selective college
 Nothing you can do now to fix what happened in high school and with the dual enrollment classes.

If you need to take the year off to work on your health, then do so. If you can hold an internship, great. But you need to let go of the notion that youre going to reapply, or apply to new schools, and get in. Yes, youre clearly very smart, but something is very wrong when a person with a 1590 sat has D and F grades the last 3 yrs of high school, and every college you apply to will realize this.

You have to move forward, with state collegw and internships, and getting the health issue under control.

7 Likes

My nephew had a B gpa (not exactly sure of how high or low), 35 act/1540 sat, loved his CS week long program summer before senior year at NEU, full pay, ED’d and was rejected outright this go around.

2 Likes

If you were not accepted once, I would suggest you find different colleges to apply to.

You failed or got D grades in these classes. Did you consider taking them again at your local high school to get A grades?

With your current HS GPA the schools you have listed will continue to be reaches. Please find a more realistic list of colleges.

You need to prove you are capable of passing college courses and put some distance between your HS grades and college. In my opinion the best way to do this is to take some community college courses and get A grades.

Do you live within commuting distance from a community college? Or a four year public where you could take a couple of courses at a time?

1 Like

agree with thumper. If you want to have a shot at a selective college, go to a community college for 2 years and earn A’s, lotsa of 'em. And then focus on colleges that are transfer-friendly.

2 Likes

What do you mean that you are an independent?

1 Like

If you are under age 24, you are not considered an independent student for financial aid purposes in most cases. And the amount you earn annually has nothing to do with this!

1 Like

Is MA your home state?
(Bc some selective 4-year colleges have or are trying to set up partnerships with CCs but you’re better off picking one instate.)

A high score on CLEP History, Biology, and Chemistry exams would help a lot wrt obvious gaps in your HS record and is faster than taking an AP test.

1 Like

Agree. Have you taken any of these test?

I’m going to guess that one issue you had was that you had not successfully completed four years in all the core courses recommended by the colleges to which you applied
English, math, social studies, science and foreign language. Failed courses or (at some colleges) D grades would not be deemed successful completion.

But again I say
I think you need a whole new list of colleges. Applying to the same ones where you were previously rejected is not a good choice, in my opinion.

1 Like

Indeed
 applying again to colleges that rejected the applicant leads to more rejections. Selective colleges don’t go “we made a mistake last year” unless something utterly different has happened (status change changing the student’s applicant comparison pool
) or an actual mistake is uncovered (transcript was not submitted in its entirety or HS made another administrative mistake
) None of this happened here so the colleges from this year’s list are now off.
@testing1230123 : we’ll help you figure out another list, including CCs with a strong 4-year partnership or colleges that are accesible.
Urgently look into CLEP and register, prepping seriously in order to get the highest possible score.

1 Like

It has been mentioned above, but I wanted to stress that college classes taken after graduation during a gap year can change your applicant status: Considering a gap year? Read about this student’s experience [took college courses after high school, considered a transfer applicant at many colleges]

I am also of the view that the best route for you is to excel at community college, then transfer in two years. Do not begin until all health issues have been addressed, so that you are able to produce a CC transcript that reflects your abilities. Best wishes.

6 Likes

If a school doesn’t look at CLEP for credit, will the scores have any value to admissions?

A high CLEP score still shows that despite failing when you were in HS, you now master the subject, proving that the HS grade wasn’t due to work habits or intelligence but something circumstancial.
Getting college credit doesn’t really matter in your case. Right now, based on your HS record, colleges are worried you are going to flunk out. So you have to prove it’s all in the past, that you CAN and WILL do the work and do it WELL (A).

4 Likes

Within this pathway, would they still require my HS transcript after the 2 years at CC?

Probably. See this Khan Academy article about applying as a transfer student:

https://www.khanacademy.org/college-careers-more/college-admissions/applying-to-college/applying-as-a-transfer-student/a/whats-different-about-applying-as-a-transfer-student#:~:text=Depending%20on%20your%20target%20college,that%20colleges%20care%20about%20growth.