Test Optional Admission Data

For all the data “nerds” (and I use that term endearingly) when do you suspect colleges may begin reporting on the 2021 admitted student data? I’m specifically interested to see the % of test optional applications vs. acceptances.

4 Likes

Some have already done so. Others never will. Like many other things, the answer is “it depends.”

I don’t know that you’ll see # acceptance rate - but schools like Wesleyan (42%), Connecticut and Trinity CT (58%) show you the % of the class enrolled that was TO.

BU says a 34 ACT - of those who submitted - but doesn’t say what % of enrolled submitted.

You have to read each school’s profile - but they’re likely accepting a higher % than you’d think…they certainly are enrolling a decent % - probably moreso at perceived lesser schools.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll keep investigating. So on the fence about a few schools whether to go TO or not.

Has anyone been told by an AO something like this : “If you don’t have at least a (enter score here - eg ACT 34), then don’t submit scores.”

:face_with_monocle:

I imagine it depends on your desires and the school’s scores.

If you ask the schools, should you submit -they won’t say. They all say the same. We asked.

It’s just one component of the overall we look at.

If you feel it’s representative of you, send it. And if you don’t think it is, then don’t.

That doesn’t really help.

My daughter had a 32 superscore. She sent it everywhere but Rice. She was “proud” of it and that was enough. Got rejected at Rice - but we expected that.

She got WL at W&M OOS, Emory, and got in (surprisingly) at W&L.

Also got into Florida and UGA - but we expected that. Florida schools - at least last year - were not TO.

Go with your gut - and you’ll be fine.

To me, having a score shows something - but i’m not an AO.

2 Likes

I have found the same with AO’s. It’s a canned response and I understand they really won’t give any direction. If D’s score were higher we’d submit, but it is what it is. We’re likely to err on the side of not submitting.

If you have a strong academic record, that gives you more flexibllity.

If the record (grades, rank if avail, rigor) are not strong, or not strong for the school you are applying, a test will clearly help.

It would help you get more responses if you post your daughter’s stats and what schools you are looking at. People will give you, their best opinion, as to which to apply TO or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for anyone who’d like to offer their thoughts. I will share mine later so as to not add a bias up front.

D22 has a 3.97 UW/ 4.12 W GPA
PA public HS top 40 in the state
Top Decile (probably 7-9th%)
AP Gov, AP Psych, AP Bio, AP Calc AB, Advanced Anatomy, all other classes Honors, except for a few that are not leveled, did not take tests.
ACT 27 (Science 28, Reading 28, Math 26, English 26)

Delaware- Direct Admit BSN, back up Health Science (double legacy)
Duquesne- Physician Assistant 5 year program- back up Nursing
Temple- Direct Admit BSN
Pitt- Direct Admit BSN, back up Behavioral Science
Clemson- Direct Admit BSN, back up Pre Professional Health
James Madison- Pre Nursing
U of South Carolina- Pre Nursing

1 Like

She didn’t take the AP tests?

I would probably send scores to Duquesne and James Madison - but others will have more info. I know nursing is tougher.

I’d also take again - and if you can get her a book, tutor, or Khan Academy - you still have time.

Is your list complete or are you looking for more? Here are the direct admit programs.

Direct Admit Nursing Programs (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■)

I’m not a nursing person but i’ve read enough to know that many recommend you finding a program where their clinical experience is in range of campus whereas some apparently are far off.

@Data10 provided some statistics in a few earlier threads, he may have more.

3 Likes

Often health majors have higher GPA/test scores than general pool of admitted students. Your student could contact nursing programs directly for latest stats of admitted nursing class.

3 Likes

Thanks. Yes we have been able to get that data from most schools and they seem to be between 28-30.

I would not send ACT score to Pitt or Temple. I would check with guidance counselor if not taking AP tests would be noted by those 2 schools in particular. GPA is good for nursing and health sciences admissions as well as class rank and the higher level of rigor courses taken. Did she receive A’s/B’s in her science and math courses? How are her EC’s, are they well rounded with longevity and do any have exposure to nursing or health care? Another question for you to check with the individual schools is, “do you allow applicant to be admitted to another major if not admitted to nursing?” I know of one direct admit school that did not allow a change of majors if denied for nursing, I don’t know if this is still their practice. Universities also become acutely sensitive to an application where student is clearly not dedicated to the particular health major, ex. a student who applies for nursing but in essay or additional info states PA or pre-med. Nursing slots, as I’m sure PA slots are very precious and very selective.
Best of luck to your daughter, she’s worked hard!

Thanks for your feedback. Many schools require a second choice major but frankly she’s decidedly set on Nursing with the possibility of PA but that’s so competitive and I don’t think she’ll prefer the clinical nature if that position as much as the bedside manner required for nursing. She was advised not to bother with the 2 AP tests she could take this year-Psych and Bio as they’ll have to be taken as a freshman nursing major.

She has only 1 A- on her transcript for Honors English in 9th grade. Her ECs are long term year round swimming at the state level and volunteering for special Olympics since grade 9, special needs program at school since grade 9, girls on the run coach, NHS and job shadowing a PT. We’re hoping she can shadow in the hospital this fall but no guarantee due to covid.

1 Like

There’s a school out there for everyone. It may not be direct admit - but she can still get in nursing. You may have to be flexible. Look at a Belmont or Niagra.

Or schools that aren’t direct admit - there’s lots - like a Bama, etc. Good luck.

What do you consider a safety?
Have you considered Desales?

Duquesne and JMU

There were a lot of test optional kids in the class of 21 because the world was in a global pandemic for the second half of their junior and most of their senior year. It was hard to even sit for a test for the class of 2021. SAT and ACT test schedules are pretty close to normal now, so any 2022 applicant that wants to sit for a test should be able to get one.

I also think that a lot of the kids that get accepted TO have hooks.

I have another theory about 2021 test scores. I think that the class of 2021 test score ranges will be artificially high because so many kids went TO by necessity and there was a 300% increase in gap year kids according to one source I saw, making the 2021 class one of the most competitive at the top 50-75 colleges in history. I would be surprised if 2022 is as competitive.

6 Likes

Might be accurate for some schools, but doubt that is accurate at the single digit acceptance rate schools where even perfect standardized test scores will not make up for less than stellar grades and rigor.