Test Optional Admission Data

Test optional has the potential to increase enrollment of all of the discussed groups – Pell, URM, women; but it is not guaranteed to do so. Specific results will vary by college.

Low income, URM, and women all are consistently overrepresented among test optional applicants and admits at test optional colleges because all 3 of these groups tend to average worse test scores than typical for the rest of the application. Women are typically not considered a less resourced group, like lower SES and URM, but the same type of logic applies. Compared to men, women average higher GPAs, graduation rate, and better general school success at all academic levels from elementary school to college. However, in spite of their academic success, women average similar or lower combined test scores than men depending on the test, so test scores are more likely to be a be a weak point for women, and women are more likely to benefit from test optional than men.

This does not mean that all colleges are going to see a huge increase in applications or enrollment of these groups upon going test optional. In the recent admission cycle, we saw many highly selective HYPSM… type colleges had huge increases in applications – a few >50% increase in applications. However, the study used colleges with an average acceptance rate of ~70% – not HYPSM… type colleges. It was also pre-COVID, which often led to a smaller portion of applicants choosing to apply test optional at a newly test optional college. I do not find it especially surprising that the study did not find a statistically significant increase in applications upon going test optional, like it did for enrollment of the discussed groups.

Most colleges in the study admitted the vast majority of applicants, resulting in the admitted pool largely following the applicant pool. So colleges that had more/less changes in the portion of low income/URM/women in their applicant pool upon going test optional would see more/less corresponding changes in their admit pool. The degree of change in applicant pool is impacted by things like how large a portion of students are aware of the test optional change and are especially interested in the college. This may not be a large portion of applicants. For example, the study implies that the following colleges were in the sample for 2018-19. What portion of applicants to these colleges do you think changed their application behavior near 2018-19 due to the college changing to test optional? I suspect it is not high.

Bloomfield College NJ Test-optional 2018-19
College of St. Elizabeth NJ Test-optional 2018-19
Dominican College NY Test-optional 2018-19
Emerson College MA Test-optional 2018-19
Hanover College IN Test-optional 2018-19
High Point University NC Test-optional 2018-19
Niagara University NY Test-optional 2018-19
University of Evansville IN Test-optional 2018-19
University of Hartford CT Test-optional 2018-19
Wofford College SC Test-optional 2018-19

There is also selection at the level of the college. Even if the applicant pool changes to favor Pell, URMs, and women due to learning about the test optional policy; the college does not have to dramatically change their admit pool to match the applicant pool. For example, a selective college might try to maintain a 50/50 male/female ratio; regardless of applicant pool. Or a need-aware college might try to keep Pell % at a specific target level to make the financials work, regardless of applicant pool.

So I expect the end result is going to be a lot of variation. The general trend will be towards increased enrollment of Pell, URM, women, and similar groups for whom test scores tend to be a relative weak point of their application upon going test optional; but there will not be a consistent degree of change from college to college. Some colleges may have large changes in Pell and URM % like we saw at many Ivy-type colleges in the recent admission cycle. Others may have little or no change.

What should be more consistent at nearly every test optional college is that when you compare the kids who apply and are admitted with scores to those who apply and are admitted without scores, there will be significant differences among groups for which scores tend to be a weak point of application. A college may choose to maintain a 50/50 male/female ratio, but when you compare the kids at that college who are admitted/enrolled without scores, women are overrerpresented. And when you the kids at that college who are admitted/enrolled with scores, men are overrepresented. I expect there are few, if any, exceptions to this generalization for all of the discussed score is more likely to be weak point of application groups.

I am confident that I am right on grade inflation at the high school level. The incentives for prep and wealthy suburban high schools to continue to inflate grades is overwhelming. It is irrefutable that ECs and access to AP and honors classes overwhelmingly favor the privileged. For all the problems with standardized tests, they are the least problematic admissions criteria there is.

1 Like

I find this reasoning to be quite intriguing. Given that women now make up 59.5% of all college students (per WSJ), might we see a GPA optional policy (I intentionally chose GPA rather than transcript to exclude because I’d imagine course rigor is a material factor) at some point to attract more male applicants? Or give applicants the option to substitute AP scores for GPA to demonstrate mastery?

This thread has become a big debate. I’m closing temporarily while I work on cleaning it up.

I’m reopening the thread. Please refrain from engaging in debate and protracted back and forth with individuals, which is against Forum Rules. FAQ - College Confidential Forums

1 Like

Colleges already give consideration to male applicants’ GPA, especially the schools that are actively trying to balance gender in each class. Some AOs openly admit the average male GPA is lower than the average female GPA of admitted students. Jeff Selingo also addressed this in his recent book as well as on the AMA thread he had here.

Information is now available from new Common Data Sets. Smith, for example, reports standardized scores for 54% of the class of 2025 (a figure that could be lower depending on how Smith reports scores for students who submitted results for both exams).

Whether we’re for, against, or ambivalent about test optional policies, we can probably all agree that test optional policies cause the number of college applications to rise dramatically. Common App just confirmed this in its most recent report:

It’s interesting (and not surprising to many people) to note that the majority of the increase comes from the the most affluent quintile of zip codes, and no increase from the bottom quintile. Applicants from wealthier families are applying to far more colleges than before.
Any actions will trigger counteractions. Any changes will cause people, especially the wealthy, to reassess, readjust and optimize for their own situations. Nothing is static. If test scores become less important or irrelevant, the same resources that were consumed by test prep will be redirected toward whatever else that become more important, whether they’re GPAs, essays, or something else.

6 Likes

We should wait until all the data is in this cycle before drawing conclusions. The common app data only reflects schools that have been on common app for the last three years so it’s not comprehensive.

I am not disagreeing that TO is one factor that may explain an increase in apps. Yet, the number of students applying with test scores so far this year is up 4 percentage points over last year at this time (53% vs 49%, both well below 2019’s 80%). Those in more affluent communities are applying with test scores more often than low income applicants.

Other factors that can lead to more applications include students/families needing to merit hunt, ease of applying (common/coalition app platform, application fee waivers, no supplemental essays), and uncertainty as to how admissions will go this year at the many schools that are overenrolled.

It’s also interesting that growth in public college apps, including the less selectives, is greater than the growth rate of the selectives…that is different than the last couple years IIRC. Maybe students are applying to more likelies/safeties?

1 Like

Yes, the data from the Common App are preliminary, but I have no reason to expect the trend not to hold, though.

There’re certainly other factors contributing to the increase in applications and those factors were present before the pandemic that drove most colleges to go test optional. For test optional colleges, it’s always expected that less affluent families are more likely to forgo testing altogether. Why should a family on a tight budget spend money on something that isn’t necessary?

1 Like

Number of applicants from the bottom quintile increased by about 11%, from pre-pandemic.
Number of URM applicants increased 16%.
Number of First Gen applicants increased by 22%.

ETA: Also note that these are year-over-year numbers through Nov. 15, so they are made up of mostly Early Decision and Early Action applicants.

I agree with you that the large increases in applications at highly selective colleges during the past cycle was largely driven by test optional. However, the author of the previous referenced study actually found the opposite. The abstract of the study states, “, I do not detect clear evidence of changes in application volume” (upon going test optional). He analyzed a set of 100 test optional colleges pre-COVID with an average of ~70% admit rate. I suspect this type of colleges with ~70% admit rate also didn’t have a large increase in applications in this past admission cycle. Instead the large increases in applications seem highly concentrated among the most selective colleges. In general, the more selective the college, the larger the increase in applications upon going test optional post-C.OVID. Some specific numbers are below from another thread. Note that this list emphasizes highly selective colleges, not ones with ~70% admit rate.

Class of 2025 Applications (ordered highest to lowest increase)
MIT: 33,250 – 66% increase
Columbia: >60,500 – 51% increase
Harvard: ~57,000 – 42% increase
Penn: ~56,000 – 34% increase
Cornell: ~68,500 – 33% increases
Dartmouth: 28,338 --33% increase
Tufts: 31,190 – 31% increase
Amherst: 14,767 – 31% increase
UCLA: 139,500 – 28% increase
UCB: 112,820 – 28% increase
Brown: 46,479 – 26% increase
Duke: ~49,500 – 25% increase
NYU: 100,131 – 20% increase
UCSD: 118,360 – 18% increase
Northeatern: 75,233 – 17% increase
Virginia: >48k – 17% increase
Colby: ~15,700 – 12% increase (previously test optional)
Chicago: 37,986 – 10% increase (previously test optional)
Florida: 52,530 – 6% increase (not test optional)
Bowdoin: 9,309 – 1% decrease (previously test optional)

The specific numbers from the document are below. It appears that the highest income zip code group had the smallest percentage increase in applications during the recent test optional cycle. If anything high income kids had a smaller increase n applications during the recent early round cycle than other income groups – not a larger increase. The absolute numbers of applicants are larger for high income kids because there are far more total high income applicants than other groups. Analyzing only early applicants contributes to this effect since lower/middle income kids are less likely to utilize the early application round. The lowest income zip code group had the largest percentage increase last year, although part of that relates to having a decrease in 2020, perhaps related to being more likely to choose work over college due to financial effects of COVID. Middle income kids also had solid increase, that were larger than highest income kids.

Early (ED/EA) Applicants: Change in Num Apps from 2019 ->2020 to 2021 by Income
Highest Income Zip Code: +2% in 2020, +9% in 2021
2nd Highest Income: -0% in 2020, +13% in 2021
Middle Income Zip Code: -0% in 2020, +13% in 2021
2nd Lowest Income: -2% in 2020, +12% in 2021
Lowest Income Zip Code: -4% in 2020, +16% in 2021

Comparing 2021 to 2019, first gen and URMs all were notably more likely to have increased applications during the early cycle. However, there was not as stark differences by zip code median income as there was for first gen and URM. There are many possible contributing factors to this difference including effects of COVID and not high income kids who depend on FA being substantially more likely to apply during RD rather than ED/EA. It would be good to compare applications for the full admission cycle including RD, before drawing conclusions.

Early (ED/EA) Applicants: Change in Num Applications by Subgroup from 2019 to 2021
First Gen: +22%
URM: +16%
Non-URM: +13%
Not First Gen: +11%

In addition to total number of applications, the portion submitting scores is also relevant – whether the increased applications are from kids who are submitting scores or coming from kids who are not submitting scores. As expected, Women, URMs, First Gen, and Low Income all appear to be less likely to submit scores.

Early (ED/EA) Applicants: Portion Submitting Scores in 2021:
Men – 59%
Not first-gen – 58%
Not Fee Waver – 57%
Not URM – 56%
Women – 49%
URM – 44%
Fee Waver – 41%
First Gen – 40%

1 Like

that was the school’s advice for our daughter too. she had tests canceled on her and eventually assigned a test site hours from home, giant school and had a disaster day with the covid restrictions etc. ended up doing fine for some schools on her list, but not her more stretch schools. very high GPA, very tough schedule, very good ECs and LORs so we were advised to simply focus on the rest of the application, and only send scores if it helps certain schools. also, some schools totally test blind so non-issue

2 Likes

There are several big trends in the last 10 years that seem to coincide with an increase in the use of TO and test blind policies. Test opponents claim that correlation equals causation when it comes to the relationship of TO policies to positive developments in college admissions. If that is the case, what about some of the negative developments? Here are some trends I have thought of that are impacting university admissions over the last 10 years:

1. Huge increase in applications at the T100 schools, end especially the T20 and T40 schools.
  2. Decrease in applications and attendance at open admissions and local colleges, with some of these local colleges going under.
  3. Decrease in attendance of men as a percentage of the college age population.
  4. Significant grade inflation, particularly at wealthy suburban and prep schools.
  5. Other resume inflation at suburban and prep schools, such as more ECs and advanced placement classes being offered that are not available at middle class and working class area high schools.
  6. Increased cost and time to schools for processing applications.
  7. Tuitions spiraling out of control.
  8. Increase of URM and first gen attendance.

Test Opponents believe that TO policies are responsible for 8 but not the other 7. I believe that TO policies are a factor in the first 6 on that list, and could be talked into believing it was a factor in #7. Thoughts? Have I left any trends out?

One unscientific study regarding grade inflation is to just bounce around the EA threads this month and see the stats of those that are accepted, even to schools in the 50-100 range or below. There are a lot of 3.5’s and better going to schools that have 50% +/- acceptance rates, and I see very few posters with 3.2’s getting in anywhere but schools that are essentially open admissions. It is also striking how many applicants have 5 or more AP classes. 20 years ago, those classes were only for the top students in a subject.

I get that my observation is not scientific, but then high schools are not exactly advertising the fact that they are inflating grades so it is hard to find good data.

One thing that test optional admissions has increased is the handwringing regarding whether to submit great or even excellent (in my opinion) test scores. You see it here in CC and just yesterday one of my neighbors was telling me that her son is thinking about not submitting a 1510 (!!!) to a number of schools he is applying to, or maybe has already applied to, based on a college counselor’s advice. So it does seem rather disingenuous for everyone to say “if it strengthens your application, submit, if it doesn’t, withhold” when it seems that all this achieves is strengthen the apparent stats of the incoming class of freshmen (in pandemic times test optional was and probably is still necessary). If standardized test scores help the college make an admission decision they should ask for them, if it doesn’t, they shouldn’t. Test optional seems too opaque. And yes, I’ve seen all the studies. As far as the UCs and CSUs going test blind, I remain optimistic than they know what they are doing. They at least are clear in their directions towards applicants. Time will tell as it always does.

This sort of thing is really hard to wrap one’s head around, at least it was for me, but, believe it or not, I think it is fairly common at schools with an abundance of high achieving students. At some of these schools, a 1510 may be the weakest part of their application relative to classmates applying to the same schools.

I had a 2.8 in HS, a 1030 SAT and went to Syracuse. This was 1986. And it was still a top journalism school then as it is today. Today if you have a 2.8 and 1030 a directional may be a reach. I had a 1070 superscore but that was not a thing. I would have been TO all the way :slight_smile:

I did not know about test prep. I did not know about tips and tricks. I was offered no APs and I think the most anyone took was one. I took the SAT 4 times. All cold. Just walked in.

I was in the 40% percentile. Today that GPA would be much higher at 40%. Probably a 3.5 or more. . And back then there was no weighting .

The way grading has changed is astounding. One only has to look at how many on this board panic at the sight of one B or only a 1500 ACT.

I’ve been employed my whole life and at a very decent income.

I worry about all the stress these kids today are going through. And for what ??

A great school doesn’t guarantee success and a lesser school doesn’t mean doom.

10 Likes