Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Did anyone get AIS id yet?

We had a super exciting day at our house this afternoon. A surprise box came in the mail from TAMU Admissions: tshirt, rally towel, pennent, sticker and post card. Totally not expected, but free stuff is super fun! This is our oldest, so first college experience. Is this kind of thing normal from colleges or was this just a random highlight from TAMU? It definitely won my kid over, not that she wasnt already sold, but now shes extra excited. Fingers crossed for a quick admissions decision.

3 Likes

@kcoug26 wait, are you kidding?? Acceptances haven’t even gone out, application just opened yesterday.
Is she from an under-represented:identified Century Scholar school? Absolutely not the norm.

1 Like

Ok, wow! No, she is not in any special groups and we are OOS. The post card was super cute and said something about surprises bringing a smile to your face. Shes already wearing the tshirt! Haha! I i will let her know that this is a one time deal and not to be thinking checking the mailbox is like christmas!

1 Like

@kcoug26 that is crazy. Is she possibly National Merit?
I don’t know anyone who was mailed stuff-certainly not in early August-except for high achievers (NM qualifier type) at identified Century Scholar schools.
Has she met with an A&M recruiter in your state?

Well, i dont know then. Maybe they had extra promo boxes or something because no national merit.

Not yet for my son

1 Like

That’s really cool and I have heard of seniors getting swag boxes but haven’t found a correlation yet. She must check a box somewhere that Tamu likes. Yay

Make sure she applies soon. OOS is even more competitive.

1 Like

My daughter accessed the applytexas today. I think her essay and SRAR are still in progress. You guys are getting closer to freedom. Haha:slightly_smiling_face:
Pleas help me to estimat her chance for General engineering.

Rank 18%
unweighted 3.98
weighted 5.02 (8 AP course)
SAT 1360(R/W 560, Math 780)
Volunteet(Free tutor) 357hr
Club President 2year

Thanks

@FriscoDad is better at engineering, but my thoughts are that she stands a good chance at getting a pathway assuming her course rigor is strong. Her SAT score is good, but Tamu likes to see more of a balance in the eng/math section.

Sounds like y’all are getting app in soon, so that is in your favor. She may want to take sat again just to better her chances at full admit.

Please keep us posted!

2 Likes

I have two questions

1. if you don’t plan on applying for any of the scholarships do you still fill out all the questions and essay answers under the financial aid tab?

2. I found it interesting that when my daughter selected her major she had to select a specific engineering major like chemical engineering and civil engineering versus selecting general engineering - does the selection committee take into account which of those engineering majors she picks?

We are close to completing the application just need answers to supplemental essays. My daughter is so stressed because her older sister will be a sophomore at A&M and my applying daughter wants to go there more than anything in the world.

1. Yes, if no plan to apply scholarship there is no need to answer scholarship short questions. Note that application is the only chance of answering scholarship short questions. Once you are given AIS access, they won’t take scholarship application anymore. (Theoretically can if you can find someone in Admission Office (AO) to help but that’s not recommended…)

2. AO won’t look at specific courses in terms of student’s strength as it is determined in SRAR so AO will just record the the intended major. All accepted engineering students will be in General Engineering in Freshmen year. The major selection is intended for ETAM application. If the major student applied accepted the student after ETAM year, the student cannot opt to another major during ETAM application in March/April of the freshmen year even though the student change his/her mind.

Agree with what @ChristiR93 said. Another SAT with more balanced score will help. Your daughter definitely shows strength in Math so it is important to emphasize that in essays. ACT may also be a better or easier option.

Accepting Blinn option is also important. Blinn for engineering (TEAB) is the same program going through the same ETAM process as the TAMU freshmen engineering students, with the advantage of less competitive, smaller size 6 hours of Blinn classes, and much lower tuition.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between the common app application and the ApplyTexas one? Are the essays the same on both sites? Does ApplyTexas have a personal optional essay like the common app and should I do the common app essay since it’s optional?

Thank you. She will take the last sat exam in August. We hope to balance each section according to your advice. I’ll keep updated here. I hope everyone gets the result they want.

1 Like

Would a 80 point difference between Math and Reading be too much?

I agree with ChristiR93 and you. She is strength in Math(AP Cal ab is 5, and will take AP Cal bc and physic C at this school year). I’ll tell her to highlight that in your essay as you advise. Thank you FriscoDad.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s too different.

If you take the SAT several times and Math is higher on one and English higher on the other - how do you record your score? Also do you send both tests to the school?

Unfortunately, A&M doesn’t superscore SAT results, so each test score you send is that Math/English score.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/resources/future-students/college-readiness#:~:text=No.,A%26M%20does%20not%20super%20score.

3 Likes