Texas A&M Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yes, I know… it seems too early to even think about the juniors applying to TAMU… but don’t blink, cause it will be here in a heart beat.

Someone mentioned starting this thread, so here we are. Use this forum to ask all things Aggie: applications/advice on test optional/degrees/the process/ the wait time/ etc. etc. etc. Nothing off limits unless it’s about UT… or tu. Just kidding.

These forums can be super informative and is a dialogue… give and receive.

Happy preparing!

11 Likes

My junior in Allen had school SAT this morning and she had the score sent automatically to A&M. She doesn’t want to take another SAT but she says today she did her best.

School ranks once a year last year by end of sophomore she was 14%, this year may move up by 100 to border line 10%. (High school is huge with about 1700 students in 12th grade)

Her first choice is Biomed Engineering, second is Biology or BIMS. All other older siblings went to TAMU two went to graduate school in UT, but this is the first one applying engineering. Her goal is medical school but she doesn’t want to lose the chance of being engineer if med school doesn’t pan out.

Seeing all the chaotic process and mishaps (my high school senior got accpeted very late in January) many did this past year, it may be best to get advice early.

1 Like

Sounds like your Jr. is going to be set up quite nicely. If she can get 1400 plus and super close to 10% if not 10%, then she’ll be okay. Keep us posted on her scores from today. Glad she feels good about them. That’s very promising.

And as you know, she’ll need to get her application in early August!

1 Like

Thanks. I hope she nails the SAT or she can get another test. My girls and boys are sitting at two extreme spectrum of stubbornness…

I can only cheer on the sidelines and give her some outlined ideas. Like writing essays in June and finishing application end of August. She doesn’t want to even try UT as chances of top 6% is kind of reaching.

2 Likes

Agree with @ChristiR93 assessment.

Is your daughter comfortable with Calculus? Reason asking because most students want engineering are confident of Calculus. Engineering male to female ratio is 4:1 so TAMU works hard to inspire more women in engineering.

Very impressive to have a mindset for BMEN as first choice. One can transfer from engineering to science but not vice versa. TAMU has ETAM process which you may already be familiar with. So BMEN first choice and BIMS second choice is the right plan.

As for plan B, Engineering Academies application usually opens in Spring and ends on June 1st. If your student apply TAMU early (way before the Engineering priority deadline), she can tell if there is full admit decision by end of December. From there, she can decide to execute plan B in Spring at the same time waiting for the TEAB decision.

Now is the time to ensure your junior’s “stubbornness” is not about fixating on a major or school. With proper encouragement, that can be translate to energy and determination to finish her goals. Just PM you other pre-med options and paths.

2 Likes

Undergraduate GPA is huge when being considered for medical school. Majoring in engineering is arguably the most difficult path to take.

3 Likes

I think that’s a great idea to start it now! This year’s thread was extremely helpful to me and I have no doubts that others are going to be grateful to have it too, thanks for the work and help you all give!!

1 Like

Yes, it may be a little off topic for class of 2027, but getting good grades have direct relationship of getting good MCAT scores.

Top Texas medical school (Baylor) average 3.93, but some with average range from 3.6 to 3.83 (Medical Schools In Texas: Rankings & Hot to Get In (2022-2023) | MedEdits)
But MCAT scores range are tighter. Basically a 512+ is the norm.

At times it is not about how hard a degree is, TAMU E2M last few years yielded more Med/Dental/Vet students than S2M. The idea of “tougher” may be different confidence level on Calculus. Students enjoying Calculus may find BMEN easier.

1 Like

Scores requirement may be restored for class of 2027, it will eliminate the confusion and heart ache for the test optional. But if the “test optional” extends to 2023, whoever reading this should submit the test scores. (Update: test optional indeed extends to 2023)

Submit your test scores. Many public high schools have school SAT day, submit that scores regardless. Try to make at least 1250 and higher (1360+) for competitive majors. Maths and Reading scores need to be balance 660+ each. ACT 29+ with Maths 30+.

Anything claimed to be “optional” should be read as “preferred”. If an essay is optional, go ahead submit it. If scholarship application is “optional”, go ahead fill it out.

Putting the extra effort is a good safety net regardless of what your local counselors suggested. Some regional or high school conselors may just literally read the TAMU requirement.

8 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread! I have a very motivated D23 who will be applying to A&M in August and a D24 who will be learning a lot as we go through the process with D23. We’re in one of those non-ranking-below-10% competitive Texas districts and my D’s would be fourth generation Aggies so… no pressure, right? lol

Actually, my husband and I will be fine if they decide to go elsewhere, we just want A&M to be an option that’s on the table for them (and DH and Grandpa don’t really understand me when I tell them that A&M admittance is a lot different than back in the day. )

3 Likes

My son (2023) took the SAT in December 2021. Will TAMU accept Dec scores? He’s taking it again next week but is worried he won’t score as high. Thanks.

Of course they will.

What is considered a high SAT score for non-auto admit 1st qtr kiddos? For the review admits - what type of stats do the kids have that seem to get admitted in the first wave?

Based on the past few years for review admits. SAT score 1400+ with balanced Math and Reading scores, or ACT with 29+ across all sub-scores, along with ranking assigned 1st quarter in AIS (may need to be close to top 10%) for first wave.

It can be unpredictable for class of 2027.

If the reorganization “the Path Forward” really happens or even partially happens this coming Fall, the “waves” can change. It is very important for students and parents pay close attention to potential changes. The Path Forward | Home | Texas A&M University

4 Likes

I saw a lot of good stat students in 2026 got PSA, what needs to watch out for 2027?

My son got in for 2026 but very late (last week of January). So my junior girl with about the same stat is very concerned about the process. Seeing quite a few borderline auto admit got PSA…do you know the reasons behind that?

@LuviasTexas , does she have her SAT or ACT in order? I believe a good score will give students more solid legs to stand on.

2 Likes

She took only once during school SAT day earlier this month and had the score sent to TAMU. I think the score will be available next month. But seeing some with 1350+ got PSA I think there is more to the scores.

1 Like

Agree with @NDTA96, I’d definitely focus on getting high ACT & SAT scores, as well as finishing the spring semester as strong as possible.

1 Like

I believe majority of good stat. applicants not getting in due to two main reasons. (1) Not submitting scores (2) SRAR inconsistency.

(1) Class of 2027 is still test optional, many school counselors misread and literally misinform students that scores are not required. Test optional only favors auto-admit students. For review admit students, they have to submit scores even if it is low. So if it is below 1300, now there is plenty of time to take again.

(2) Many applicants rushed in the SRAR. In my opinion, students should spend a good week and have parents help reviewing the SRAR data. Here are the general rules

• If high school provides transcipt with unweighted GPA, go ahead send to TAMU even though it is optional for review admit. This help validate the trustworthiness of candidate, and in case some courses reported in SRAR not recognized by TAMU system but count as a credit (e.g. Pathophysiology).

• If high school does not provide unweighted GPA, spend good time to check each course and calculate your GPA. A score of 90+ is A and counts as 4.0 (even though teachers give bonus grades). If student self-reports 3.89 but SRAR and TAMU calculate a 3.75 that student is considered violated code of honor even though it can be just a careless mistake. This is by far the most common cause of SRAR issue as many claimed “better stat than friends but not getting in”

• Check rank in AIS. A student in 2nd quarter may be assigned 1st quarter in AIS. It is not necessary a mistake. TAMU configured SRAR index to ignore or decrease the weight of some unrelated classes such as (“video game design”, “culinary arts”, “digital photography”, “orchestra”…). If student finds the rank not accurate (e.g. 3.90 but assigned 2nd quarter) in AIS, the student should immediately contact admission via AIS to get it resolved ASAP (before end of September). Student can upload a letter from school counselor or grade distribution report from HS.

• Double-check your total credits on science, math, social studies, language, speech, PE. The credits have to be in-line with the type of diploma receiving.
    A distinguished level diploma shorting a math or science is very common. Students should not count on TAMU admission contacting them for discrepencies. In the past, some still got green check in AIS for SRAR but got PSA as part of honor code violation. (Admission considered students receive high school diploma but lied about the type of diploma)

• Fix any SRAR error by end of September. (Before the first review)

In short for SRAR, submit your high school transcript even though optional for review admit, spend time to check the unweighted GPA (reported vs calculated), make sure AIS ranks you accordingly.

18 Likes

EXCELLENT suggestions! Agree with everything!

1 Like