Texas A&M or Colorado School of Mines

<p>Having difficult time trying to decide on which is the wisest decision. Son has been offered $12K scholarship at CSM and full tuition plus at Texas A&M for chemical engineering. We are out of state for both. With the $12K scholarship at CSM, the cost will still be awfully high and a real challenge, but probably do-able if we really tighten our belts. I calculate the costs would be somewhere around $35K/year at CSM and around $12K/year at A&M. Both very different schools as far as size and campus vibe. He likes the idea of a smaller school like CSM and, of course, loves Colorado, but he really liked A&M as well, and A&M seems to have a great reputation for its engineering program and is offering a great deal. Anyone have any helpful info about whether CSM education and job prospects are that much better than A&M or vice versa? Would appreciate any insights. Am guessing curriculum at CSM is a bigger challenge (almost completely STEM classes all the way through) and, therefore, might offer greater rewards after graduation, but I understand the Aggie network offers great rewards, too. ??</p>

<p>Both schools are great with very good job potential. I do love Golden and the CSM campus is great but the price differential is not worth it. Unless he is really wanting the smaller campus, gorgeous setting and close by snowboarding (all things we loved about the campus) I would take A&M. </p>

<p>Thanks for weighing in, kldat1. He’s really in love with all the things you mention – small campus, beautiful surroundings, and, yes, definitely snowboarding – but I’m not sure it justifies the difference in cost as you say if both schools carry equal educational and job prospects. Decisions, decisions. Your thoughts have been helpful. Thank you again.</p>

<p>Yakker, Texas A&M is one of out finalists for my son too. We are also OOS. Very similar financial aid package at A&M as your son’s. About $12,000 net at A&M vs. $35,000 per year net at Purdue, his other finalist. In addition to saving $23,000 per year at A&M (a big deal with two more sons right behind him), another big factor for us is the Aggie Network. Long ago, I dated an Aggie graduate in Washington, DC. We attended several alum events, including watching the Texas football game in November and Muster in April. My conclusion back then was “these people are crazy, but in a good way.” Even women graduates wear their class rings after graduation. (I am not disparaging women’s loyalty to their schools, but observing that women are typically far more fashion conscious than men.) Knowing how Aggies look out for each other, was one of the reasons I started looking at A&M. Then I learned how strong the engineering department is (and getting even bigger and better) and about financial aid for OOS students. That clinched a visit. </p>

<p>We loved our visit, even my middle son who doesn’t like big schools. The boys loved the friendliness, the facilities, the campus, and the traditions. My wife and I also felt very comfortable that the boys would be looked after and be around kids with good values, particularly important with us living 1100 miles away.</p>

<p>Colorado School of Mines is a great school. My son has a classmate that will be attending there. But we did not visit. Negative factors for us were that the school is 70% male and 98% STEM. But the big factors were cost and a much smaller, less supportive alumni network.</p>

<p>Thanks for taking the time to share these details, Beaudreau. This is very helpful and really addresses the issues we’re having with justifying the cost of CSM – especially with one other child still in college. Son’s biggest concern at CSM was the male-to-female ratio you mention! Ours was justifying the cost. And, while CSM boasts 90 to 95% job placement upon graduation, I had not considered that the strength of the Aggie network probably makes up for that easily at A&M. Even though son prefers a smaller school and doesn’t mind the focus on STEM classes at CSM at all, he was pleasantly surprised when we visited A&M in the fall. He could see himself there. He was unsure of what to make of all the strong tradition, but maybe your comments will give him (and us) a different way of considering all of that. Thanks again for weighing in on it, and best of luck to your son on this grand adventure. </p>

<p>Yakker, Thanks for the kind words. I will need a new hobby once all three boys are in college, besides writing checks that is. If my oldest son does end up at A&M, which is likely, we will be sure to send him to Fish Camp for indoctrination in the way of the Aggie.</p>