Texas A&M University Class of 2026

Yes!! You are the one I was remembering. Yay for not being crazy lol

So it is it possible that it’s not a glitch since it happened to someone else…also a 33 act is equivalent to a 1460 sat, so maybe that means something…and I also have dual enrollment credits.

@Texas231343 - It happened to HSmomof4’s student 2 years ago, but it wasn’t like that last year so it may be a glitch or TAMU may have changed things in the last few days.

Unless the programming/procedure changed within the last couple weeks, a homeschooler will not show top 10%. I know HSmomof4’s student was identified 2 years ago as top 10%, but last school year I was told by TAMU admissions that it had changed and homeschoolers would not be shown as top 10%. My daughter applied last year and she showed top quarter and not top 10% (and she would have been slated top 10% when compared to public school top 10%).

For my son’s application, his SAT score is 1520, unweighted GPA with DCs is 4.0. He was ranked 1st quarter, not top 10%. His SAT score may have been what got him accepted quickly… I’m not sure… but to our knowledge, his ranking never changed from 1st quarter to top 10%.

I guess I’ll see what they say once they answer my question on the AIS.

Home schoolers can get top 10% based on SAT scores. TAMU admissions mention every year and you can also get confirmation from your regional counselors. If you still have doubt, the official admission information page also mentioned that.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/srar
(scroll all the way down last 4 questions on how home schoolers are ranked without reliable SRAR)

Of course you can also ask question in AIS portal. Normally 1500+ scores for sure will be assigned as top 10% but every year is different.

1 Like

@FriscoDad - The SRAR info you linked says “Will the assignment of class rank for home schooled students be impacted by the SRAR? The rank for home-schooled students will be assigned based on the official SAT/ACT scores per Texas Legislation.”

So yes, they do get ranked, but AIS will show first quartile, second quartile, etc., not top 10% for auto admittance. I have spoken at length with admission officers both this year and last year. I was told they cannot give top 10% to homeschoolers because they have to go through holistic review.

That being said, I was also told that they do compare homeschoolers to public schools students and will slide them into wherever they would be based on test scores. So, TAMU may consider them top 10% “behind the scenes” while they do their review, but first quartile is what shows up in AIS.

That information is from discussions during this past spring and the spring of 2020. I have learned though that things constantly change at TAMU, and also that everybody working in admissions does not always provide the same answer. So it may have changed. : )

Texas legislation added a requirement in 2015 that home-schooled applicants be assigned a faux class rank by comparing their SAT or ACT scores to the average class rank of students in the state who received a similar score.

It is legislation requirement.

The range of top 10% is not the same every year, so it is possible at the beginning all home schoolers get a default top 25% assigned rank, once the applicants pool cut off is reached, the school will correct and assign the proper rank. So you were likely told only the initial process.

In this forum there was just one, I personally knew seven home schoolers (very common in Frisco and Prosper) got assigned top 10% by TAMU since 2016. Some however didn’t get their choice of major but that’s another issue.

2 Likes

Sure!

Top 25% (Homeschooled so TAMU gave him a rank)
SAT/ACT: 1400/31
GPA: 4.0 UW (honors math/science, DE)
My ds has great ECs as well. Eagle Scout with tons of leadership & awards, Captain of lacrosse team, 2 varsity letters, Boys State, Part-time job teaching kids how to code, West Point Summer Leadership, plus other leadership and LOTS of volunteer hours. He also plans on joining the Corps. I have no idea how TAMU weights any of that.

2 Likes

Same here for my son! Great stats and in state engineering and still nothing. Also a really strong LOR and Nada no tabs nothing….I too need a new hobby, this is a nail biter! Hang in there and keep me updated please

As an update, I learned that FAFSA has a mobile app. DS and I were able to access the FAFSA form and get it completed all on the app.

3 Likes

I called TAMU office of admissions and they said me being assigned top ten percent was not a glitch…they looked at my file and apparently they are assigning a few homeschoolers top ten percent. So all I have to do is send my transcripts!!!

15 Likes

@Texas231343 - so awesome for you! Congratulations on your accomplishments!

That’s fantastic. Congrats and welcome to Aggieland!

Congratulations! As mentioned before, it is a legislation requirement and your SAT score is within top 10% range. Note that also means the day your rank got changed to top 10%, TAMU likely rounded up the pool for Mays admission (full). Note also that it doesn’t mean those waiting in review have no chance, it takes TAMU days and weeks to update the different portals.

Now go apply for Business Honors!
Note that Business Honors request although is automatic (a check box in ApplyTexas), it does require some extra steps. Many claim it is too early but you need to give time for people to process your LORs. The Holidays processing delay and if mail in via USPS first class getting all pieces by January will be about time now.

https://mays.tamu.edu/bba-business-honors/application-requirements/

1 Like

@FriscoDad it definitely isn’t too early to apply for Business Honors, if anything, it is a little late. Applicants really needed to check the box when they submitted A&M application. BH will start sending out invitations in early November (my ‘23 BH student got BH invitation packet Nov 4) and final invites go out end of January. It is highly selective and competitive, they are already working on their list. My student is a BH recruiter.
Every honors program at TAMU is slightly different in their process.

1 Like

I already clicked the box for business honors when I applied and I attached two letters of recommendation to my portal already…I’m not sure if I want to major in business anymore tho.

It was definitely not this stressful! I hand wrote my app and my dad faxed it from his office in 1989. I still have the original.

4 Likes

Same!!!

@robmom2 , so true. With all the college consultants in business that are helping students with essays and college applications for a fee, I wonder how do colleges look for those organic essays written by students with few grammatical , punctuation edits from a parent as oppose to written by professionals.

1 Like

I have helped so many students, from here, on their essays, and I totally agree with you. Compared to professional essays, I think colleges can tell the difference. I have the students write their essay and rough drafts until they think it’s good enough to turn in. Then I go through and revise so it’s more concise and some grammar checks. Totally not professional, more like a mom looking it over… lol

3 Likes