Texas A&M University Class of 2026

Yup. That’s basically what I did for my daughter.

1 Like

@ChristiR93 you have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable on all things TAMU. I recall a thread on here regarding dual credit vs AP and to be careful about accepting AP but I think what was said about dual credit is that it’s automatically applied? I was reading up on the ETAM process and if DC automatically applies, does it hurt the auto admit process for ETAM? (from TAM:U website below):

Notice about Q-drops, credit by exam (AP, IB, CLEP) and dual credit

If you Q-drop a math or science course and choose to accept credit in its place:

• You will no longer be considered for automatic entry to your first choice major.
  • You may also unwittingly be jeopardizing your ETAM eligibility.

My question is should you advise your child against applying for DC? My son (review candidate) took AB Calculus as a junior and got a 5 on his AP exam. He’s taking BC Calculus this year and his teacher also teaches at the local community college and he would need to take a test to see if he can get DC for it (in addition to AP if he has a high score next May on exam). Should we not take this test for DC since it might jeopardize ETAM auto admit process should he get in? I was thinking he would be taking Math 151 and 152 for his first year but it looks like Calc BC possibly qualifies for both of those classes if you score a 4 or higher (we don’t plan on taking the AP credit). Any advice? Thank you so much.

1 Like

We have completed the Phase I housing application. Do we need to accept the admissions offer at this point (to get to NSC) if we are still considering other universities? Thanks.

Thank you. The app worked for us too!

1 Like

@Peruna1998 do NOT sign up for NSC, if you’re looking at other schools. NSC is committing to TAMU. Paying Housing deposit is just securing a dorm spot, down the road.

Let me see if I understand your question… So you can’t “take an exam” for dual credit. It is a college course. Exams, homework etc that is graded. Ap as you know is just an exam and credit assigned by a university based on exam score.

This is why dual credit is a given and not a choice. The q drop only applies to dual credit since Ap and ib aren’t college courses.

Does that make sense or did I misunderstand your question?

I think dual credit is great but grades do follow you. Maybe not the gpa but the grade does. Especially for ETaM.

Let me know if I misunderstood.

And I think it’s total preference on what your student does and finances etc when it comes to dual credit.

1 Like

Thanks. So, accepting the offer of admissions is committing to A&M? It’s different at other universities.

Signing up for NSC is saying you’re going to attend. It is not binding. Housing is a contract tho so if you don’t cancel by the deadline then yikes it’s steep.

Even registering for classes isn’t binding. There are zero contracts. It’s just customary that you wouldn’t go that far without having made a firm decision.

1 Like

Rooting for you!!! Let us know how it works out!!! Your stats are great! :smiley:

They actually answered my question…it’s not a glitch!!!

3 Likes

Yes! I just saw that as I finished scrolling! Congratulations!!! :muscle:

My daughter is thinking about applying to an A&M system school as a back up; will A&M College Station see this and take her application less seriously? She’s thinking about doing it now bc these smaller schools offer a lot of scholarships on a first come first serve basis; so it might be handy in case she should get PSA.

1 Like

No- that’s not the case. My sons friend was just admitted to A&M and the College of Engineering just this past Friday and was not an automatic. He has great stats but considered Holistic Review. Stay encouraged.
Also TEAB (Texas A&M Engineering At Blinn) is beyond impressive!! Students schedules are assigned to them (via a “track”as they consider students previous AP/ Dual credit hours) with A&M professors at both A&M and Rellis campus. Your students can also live on campus , be involved in orgs and tuition is much less.

@ChristiR93 Last year he took AP DC chemistry. his hs teacher was must have been accredited to teach the dual credit course and he got both dual credit as well as AP and it was automatic (we just needed to fill out some paperwork and get him a student ID at the local community college the high school submitted the remainder of the necessary paperwork. This year, my understanding is that for math, specifically Calc BC, his teacher also teaches at the local CC so this class could also qualify for DC if you take a placement test (the community college’s rules) so he is scheduled to take it this week but now I’m thinking maybe he shouldn’t because of how DC works (it’s not a choice to accept or not, it’s automatically transferred). We haven’t heard anything from TAMU yet but I’m just trying to plan ahead since I also read the DC credit thing is for all universities, not just TAMU. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for all your help.

@Texas231343 - That is so great they are showing that on AIS for homeschoolers now. Congratulations!!!

@ChristiR93 - Can you please explain further how DC grades affect ETAM? Do you mean in the calculation in the cumulative GPA?

DC can work differently at other universities. It always counts but some actually factor it into their gpa at the university. Can be good or bad.

So what grade would he get for DC if he didn’t do any work for it? Does a score of X give him an A and a score of x give him a B. I just don’t Understand how you can have credit twice for the same class. But that’s only because I haven’t seen it. Not that it can’t happen. Not questioning you, just trying to understand. I will say I don’t think it’s “fair” tho at first glance.

If you take DC courses the grades will
Factor into the students
Gpa as designated by ETaM required courses. So if a kid takes history as Dc it’s not a big deal for ETaM but if it’s something specific ETaM is based on, then not can matter.

Does that help?

I’m not the engineering guru. We used to have an amazing woman @Thelma2 who was a beast at answering these questions!!!

Dual credit grades do not play a role in ETAM. Courses counted in ETAM must be taken at tamu. A science waiver can be obtained if student has maxed out science requirement with AP/DC.

1 Like

Anybody see 6 tabs this morning? Nothing here :(.