The Alice Network - August CC Book Club Selection

Yes, that would have been a better pairing. Quinn herself seemed more interested in the Eve chapters; she sort of phoned it in with Charlie. I agree with much of your analysis of the book, except that getting through it was never a struggle for me. The story moved quickly and was entertaining – and sent me off to find a lot of interesting historical material on the topic. I’m glad I read it.

3 Likes

My husband’s aunt experienced this also. However, someone in the small farming community evidently knew something because one of my husband’s older brothers once got taunted about it on the playground. Then years later my sister-in-law well-acquainted with gossip told me. I asked my husband (8-9 years younger than his brothers) and he had not a clue, but when he asked his brothers he was told of the rumors.

Anyway the adopted child (now a woman in her mid-60s) did a DNA search and used ancestry sites and connected the dots. She reached out a few years ago. She looked enough like her mother to be twins. Anyway her mother was by then deceased. I honestly don’t know how my husband’s aunt would have felt about her “shame” coming to light. However, the rest of the family couldn’t wait to meet the “unknown cousin” and her family, gave her pictures of her mom, etc.

4 Likes

In our family circle, it was perfectly fine and normal to have adoptions and we knew several people who adopted babies (and the adopted kids, of course). It’s sad there was such shame and blame and even more upsetting that the certain elements of society these days are bringing that back!

4 Likes

A couple more historical bits:

In the novel, Lili learns about the impending attack on Verdun, but the information is not believed by the French commander. This is true, per Louise de Bettignies’s bio. Louise de Bettignies - Wikipedia

I wonder if the French commander knew the source of the intelligence and that’s why it wasn’t believed – because it came from a woman. It would be a tragic irony if misogyny led to the death of 300,000 men.

And here’s the story of the liberation of Belsen, in which the fictional Finn took part. Warning: The photos and transcripts are hard to take: The Liberation Of Bergen-Belsen 15 April 1945 - The Holocaust | IWM

2 Likes

Back briefly in internet land. Amusingly I had never heard of a “Lagonda” before and just picked up a book where a character wishes he had the Lagonda. Sadly it’s by an author whose kids’ books I love, but the characters in this one (a mystery set in 1944 and 1984 England), but I just can’t take the references to one of the characters as “the darkie” and about how he can code switch from proper English to N-word speak. I think (I hope) he was just trying to be authentic to the characters, but you never know.

Everything you would ever want to know about the Lagonda: Lagonda Automobiles History from 1906 to 1940

Finn had a Lagonda LG6:Lagonda LG6 - Wikipedia

(By the way, to @csfmap’s point above, I used my Kindle search to see how many times “the Lagonda” was mentioned in the book: 85!)

Eve bought Finn a brand-new Bentley Mark VI. She must have invested her fake pension very wisely.

3 Likes

I am enjoying the discussion here. I don’t have much to contribute. I read the book too long ago to remember relevant details.

5 Likes

I don’t have a kindle, but I would love to know how many times “little problem” was used.

1 Like

a mere 41! :baby:

2 Likes

Thanks. I would have guessed more.

1 Like

If the “little problem” kept that lagonda, nice return on investment

@mathmom, who is the author?

We can start thinking about our next book (October) at any time!

1 Like

I looked at the books suggested at the end of June’s discussion and deleted those that were vetoed and The Alice Network, of course. I didn’t add anything to the list.

I just read Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and loved it BUT I bet it’s still going to be hard to get hands on from the library.

I vote for Tomorrow….

1 Like

I know The Whalebone Theatre was mentioned above as an excellent book, but coming straight from The Alice Network, I don’t think we want to read a 500 page novel about a woman who becomes a British spy in Nazi-occupied France. However, I’ll put it on my personal to-read list.

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Age of Vice by Deepti Kapoor

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Dance of the Jakaranda by Peter Kimani

Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford

1 Like

I vote for The Marriage Portrait.

2 Likes

I’ll post the link for ranked choice voting when we finalize the list. The floor is still open for additions or vetos!

Upon reflection, I’m also going to veto Light Perpetual – set in 1944 World War II London. I know it’s not about the war per se, but about the “what ifs” of lives lost – still, I think we might want to put ourselves in a different era for the next round.

If none of the remaining titles excite you, feel free to veto and/or throw out other suggestions! Anything catch your eye from the Best Books thread? We had good luck with The Latecomer.

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Age of Vice by Deepti Kapoor

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Dance of the Jakaranda by Peter Kimani

1 Like

I read Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and didn’t love it. It was okay. I do think this group would give it a good discussion.

1 Like