The Alice Network - August CC Book Club Selection

@buenavista, thank you, yes I did! It is a new world in there since pre-pandemic. I used my account to put a hold on it before I went. The holds were on a special shelf just at the entrance. Checkout was automated – typing in my account number and scanning a bar code.

We are still hunkered down more than most, as my husband is severely immunocompromised, but this experience shows me there’s another place I can go without fear of catching something to pass on to him. Yay for libraries and librarians!!

4 Likes

I love libraries! My kids and H do as well. I’ve lately been browsing them for inexpensive Friends of the Library books to gift loved little ones when I give their folks a check for their birthdays, etc. This way, I can easily gift birthday child and any siblings appropriate books. The books are like $1 apiece or less and some in mint condition or only slight wear.

When my kids were very little (6ish and 8ish years old), my folks learned to their surprise my kids could happily amuse themselves until any place with books (library or bookstore) closed hours later. They still love libraries

3 Likes

A Facebook post about Christian Dior’s sister…reminded me of this book discussion

“ Catherine Dior (sister of Christian Dior) was born in 1917 in Granville. In 1941, she joined a resistance network to gather information on German troops and armaments.

She was arrested in July in Paris by the Gestapo, and was tortured for several days, without speaking.

Sent to Ravensbruck, with 1654 men and 543 women. She received the number 57813.

She was liberated in 1945 so physically changed her family had difficulty recognizing her .

In 1947 Christian Dior created his “ Miss Dior” for his sister.

She was awarded several medals of honour for her acts in the Resistance, most notably the Croix de Guerre, the King’s Medal for Courage in the Cause of Freedom, and the Legion of Honour.
Credit goes to the respective owners.
Follow Birds and Animals”

5 Likes

And from wiki……looks like Catherine, like Charlie, ended up near flower farms

“ After the end of the war, Dior spent the remainder of her life working with flowers: first as a flower trader in Paris, then as a flower farmer in Provence for the production of fragrance. She was close to her brother, the well-known couturier Christian Dior. Launched in 1947, the perfume Miss Dior is often said to have been named after her by Christian.[1] Catherine Dior helped preserve her brother’s legacy after his death in 1957, and she became the honorary president of the Christian-Dior Museum [fr] from 1999 until her death in 2008, aged 90.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.