The Alice Network - August CC Book Club Selection

Only audio ebook available but the library system has 10 hard copies with nine holds. I’ll wait a bit before placing the hold; don’t think it will suddenly skyrocket in popularity!

Who knows…Maybe the CC Book Club has thousands of nationwide lurkers. :joy:

7 Likes

So what are reading in the interim?

My reading slump is over and I’ve hit the ground running. I am currently reading Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (fantasy).

I have 8-9 books coming in from the library.

Blackout - YA; six intertwining short stories; six authors.

The Ink Black Heart - Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling). Sixth in that series.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Brian Michael Bendis. Graphic novel.

The Woman Left Behind - Linda Howard. Booklist starred review: “… addictive suspense novel, featuring a heroine who doesn’t take guff from anyone, a testosterone-rich hero who still manages to be sensitive, and a sassy sense of wit, and you have the literary equivalent of pure gold.” Need I say more :blush:

Sing to It - Amy Hempel. Short stories. One of TIME’s 100 Best Books of the Year; one of NPR’s Best Books of 2019.

Independence - Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. CC Book Club. I read her One Amazing Thing and went to a discussion of it that she led. Book was good and she was great.

A Dangerous Business - Jane Smiley. A western/mystery.

The Angel of the Crows - Katherine Addison. Fantasy.

The Fishermen and the Dragon: Fear, Greed, and a Fight for Justice on the Gulf Coast - Kirk Wallace Johnson. Nonfiction. A IRL Book Club book, also the Gulf Coast Reads 2023 (one of those one book/one city picks, only “a citywide book club just wasn’t big enough for the greater Houston area.” Also how I happened to read One Amazing Thing by Professor Chitra Divakaruni author of the upcoming CC Book Club choice. That book was the Gulf Coast Reads 2010.)

The Marriage Portrait - Maggie O’Farrell. Placed a hold on it last night because I obviously don’t have enough to read.

Looks like a lot, I know. Well, it is a lot, I guess, but several of them should be short/easy enough to breeze though. Should be interesting.

4 Likes

I’m not 100% sure where I came across Independence but it might well have been Goodreads. It’s a new book, only out a few months, so that might be one reason there aren’t that many reviews on Amazon.

In the meantime I’m reading Passing by Nella Larsen, first published in 1929. It’s about an African-American woman who “passes” as white and her friend who does not – doesn’t want to, doesn’t try. It’s very short – only 134 pages – but quite interesting. The writing is a bit florid but the plot and the interior monologue of the main character (the woman who is not trying to pass) is fascinating. My sister recommended it to me – she and I swap recommendations often. I think between the two of us, we’re in five book clubs!

4 Likes

@VeryHappy, “Passing” sounds like “The Vanishing Half” by Brit Bennett. I read this for my Books on the Beach group 3 years ago. It’s about light skinned black twin sisters, one of whom passes for white. Very well written.

4 Likes

I plan to get my hands on a copy of The Hopkins Manuscript by R.C. Sherriff. A friend of mine just read it and highly recommended.

The novel was originally published in 1939 and has just been re-released. Those who know my fondness for apocalyptic literature (hi @ignatius :wave:) won’t be surprised at the content:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Manuscript-Novel-R-C-Sherriff/dp/1668003945/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1XTTXUVANPQKN&keywords=The+Hopkins+Manuscript&qid=1691721660&s=books&sprefix=the+hopkins+manuscript%2Cstripbooks%2C106&sr=1-1

2 Likes

I read The Vanishing Half. This is based on the same premise but it’s very different.

1 Like

I just finished The Last Heir to Blackwood Library by Hester Fox, which I found pretty disappointing. Premise was interesting, but the execution was dumb.

Then I read Salvage Right by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller which is the umptieth book in the Liaden Universe. A few of the more recent ones have been a bit boring, but I really enjoyed this one.

I also just finished Young Jane Young. I liked it a lot.

I’m currently reading Le Petit Prince in both French and Spanish as part of my effort to bolster my self taught Spanish. I read it in French in high school.

I am also currently reading Village in the Sky by Jack McDevitt. I’m finding the style really disturbing. I can’t quite put my finger on it. The sentences are too short? There aren’t enough adjectives? I haven’t read anything of his before, so I don’t know if it’s just this book or this author in general.

Finally I’m rereading Friday’s Child by Georgette Heyer because it came up when a friend and I were talking about whether we prefered the books with the young naive heroines (who often end up with disturbingly older men) or the ones with heroines who are “on the shelf” but find love after all. This is more the former, but the young man is also very immature. It’s kind of a sweet story. Like all Heyer’s book, much of the pleasure is the style and just being back in her version of Regency England.

2 Likes

I recently read Heyer’s Cotillion after you recommended it on an earlier thread. Delightful!

3 Likes

OMG … I just picked up my library books and The Ink Black Heart is 1000+ pages. WTH. I had no idea. :open_mouth:

Has anyone read it?

I started reading Georgette Heyer in college and I think I gathered every book over the years. I’ve reread them so many times, some much more than others.

Edit to add that part of the reason I like the Bridgerton tv shows so much is that they bring these books to life also. Same world.

These are some of my favorites because I really like the leading ladies.

2 Likes

Yes - I was equally shocked when they reading time estimate popped up on my Kindle. I liked it and didn’t find it to feel that long, as the story does kept moving.

I’ve always loved Georgette Heyer—she’s so engaging!

Once again I missed the voting (family visiting!). I love that you use the ranked choice voting now, @Mary13; we use it for our City elections. I would have voted for the winner, so I’m happy.

Right now I’m reading Properties of Thirst by Marianne Wiggins, and liking it a lot. Next up will be So Much Blue by Percival Everett for my other book group.

@jollymama: I hope you enjoy your return to the library! (I’m a librarian :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

The most interesting book I’ve read lately is The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma. Almost a modern-day Greek tragedy about four brothers growing up in Nigeria. Beautifully written but dark, dark, dark.

Thank you so much for the reply; it helps to know that you liked it.

I’m still reading Code Sapphire, about women spies but am pacing myself as I find the casual & horrendous cruelties inflicted in wars upsetting. The Maui tragedy makes it hard to continue reading right now.

It’s awful! The photos are heartbreaking. :cry:

October: Independence - October CC Book Club Selection

1 Like

Georgette Heyer was high school for me. I’ve never read the mysteries, but I’ve read all the others and own most of them. I keep thinking I own them all and then discover the one I want to read is missing.