The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

Ha ha @LurkerMTMom ! Who cares if you get accepted- just as long as you get the socks, LOL!

@LurkerMTMom Yay! Another success story (of sorts!) A lesson in never giving up hope - you never know when the socks meant for you are on their way!

Also, the news about FSU’s delayed email notification made me want to vomit. Choices or no, some of these rejections are so painful. We were holding out hope for a wait list since we stupidly assumed the emails went out on schedule. Anyone else feeling that pain this morning? I’m right there with you.

Fortunately, my D is blessed with some exciting BFA MT acceptances overall, and is just waiting on her 10 lotteries, but FSU was her top choice. (Well I guess it’s 8 lotteries now with FSU and CMU activity).

This process is so painful. Good vibes to everyone going through this!!! We need it!

@LurkerMTMom FSU was a top choice here too. A tough (assumed) no.

@NeensMom - good call on leaving room in the April trip, we did the same. 3 out of 4 of your schools still outstanding can be added as day visits if you get good news!

So glad you posted that @NYYFanNowMTdad - was so excited to see they have made a commitment with KChen (as the kids like to call her) for her to be there on a regular basis. Our D was one of the lucky 16 that got to perform with her a few years ago in her show on Broadway. What an experience! She is the real deal - so down to earth, so willing to share her knowledge, and a champion of the students and the school. OCU students will benefit greatly from having her present.
I’m also glad you mentioned OCUs omission from that top school list this year. I find it truly baffling. Our dance training is with the #1 dance school for theater in the country. Our vocal training is second to none. And we have fantastic acting training as well. (One of our OCU theater grads is currently the lead in the “Margaritaville” tour - so if you got accepted to the BFA Acting program instead of MT - it can still be a stepping stone for a career in musicals. ) For anyone interested, we do try to keep a decent list of where OCU grads are finding work – its’ on the OCU school thread if you click at the top. There is a common misperception that our claim to fame is those who graduated years ago (Kristin, Kelly O’Hara). And we certainly are thrilled to claim them. But if you look at that list, you will see our recent grads are doing quite well also. We have a '19 grad who is taking over the role of Karen in Mean Girls on March 10. We have a fellow in the cast of Beetlejuice. We have another recent grad currently playing Christine in Phantom of the Opera. A '17 grad in the national tour of Waitress. And so many more, those are just off the top of my head. All that to say, the program is producing working performers. So I think it is a program to consider when making your lists.

@BloomingGirl any thoughts or intel on FSU’s BA program with performance track? I know D’s heart is with a BFA but she loves FSU so much! How in the world do any of these kiddo’s make a final decision?

I am vibin’ with these guys…
https://youtu.be/dxlbeqeGkQ8

@LurkerMTMom Agreed… Painful indeed. Hang in there everyone! Sending Good Vibes to add to the Vibe Chain!

@LurkerMTMom My d will definitely consider attending FSU for something else if she doesn’t get in for the BFA. I’m not sure what steps we would have to take to apply for the BA, we will look into it once the official rejection comes. Hopefully someone else has more details.

@NYYFanNowMTdad
@vvnstar

Top 10 BM Music Theatre - OCU
https://www.onstageblog.com/onstage-blog-news/2018/9/3/the-top-10-bm-musical-theatre-programs-for-2018-19

Regarding Utah, I don’t know MUCH about the program, but have been researching like crazy since both of mine just got accepted. Here’s what I did find out.

If you read the bios of the faculty there, you will find that many of them have been on Broadway and in tours. Additionally, quite a few have been choreographers. There are 3-4 of them that have been in Phantom (including MT head Denny Berry who was original Dance Captain for Phantom on Broadway and then was responsible for “casting, coaching and setting twelve worldwide productions of Phantom, as well as the Las Vegas Spectacular and Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary at Royal Albert Hall.” (In addition to other projects, such as the 2000 broadway production of JCS). One of their voice teachers, Cristin Mortenson Tillinghast, played Christine for three years on tour in Phantom. Eric Sciotto has had a healthy Broadway performance career, including being one of the Shakespeares in the original “Something Rotten.” And he is also a choreographer/dancer. Then, I checked out their YouTube channel and watched some of their snippets. I was genuinely impressed – especially with the movement and dance exhibited. Have never seen a full production but what I did see looked good. I know dance is a huge consideration from the two kids I am working with (both movers who need more dance), so there you go…

Another thing that we were told at Unifieds (and I know this needs to be vetted but…), after your first year at Utah, you can change your residency to that state and get in-state tuition. Which is incredibly cheap. Cheaper than many states’ in-state tuition! But PLEASE someone verify this because it does sound too good to be true…LOL!

@NYYFanNowMTdad
@vvnstar

BIG 10 Most Represented on Broadway - OCU
(Mix of BM and BFA)
https://www.playbill.com/article/big-10-2019-the-10-most-represented-colleges-on-broadway

Thank u @onette. Very helpful

@BloomingGirl I so love your positive attitude and sense of humor! Sending positive vibes your way and to all the others waiting for good news on this board!

Random question if anyone can answer… For the Oklahoma City MT audition it says 3 songs. Does this mean full songs? Or 32 bars? Or what did everyone else do? Do they actually listen to all 3?

@sparklyunicorn36 , yes, they want full songs. I was skeptical that they would actually have the kids do the full songs, but in my D’s case they did. They did tell her to have 3, but they didn’t require her to do her classical song. HTH! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much @onette

I have been trying to quickly research and figure out how to visit (from Upstate NY). This is very helpful!!

We just got our 15th academic acceptance! I’m not even sure I’m counting correctly! Hahahahaha If I told anyone else they’d think we were NUTS.

@jaydee0712 I don’t know much, but my daughter has an acquaintance that attends Rockford. He is insanely talented, an all around nice guy, and seems to love the program. It also seems like he’s always performing somewhere so I feel like he’s receiving a lot of opportunities. Best of luck!