The Class of 2024 -- Sharing, venting, discussing! MT

The news so far from NJ is Montclair online for rest of the semester (excepting some studio or lab courses). Other non MT schools - Fairleigh Dickenson, Kean and NJIT all closed until further notice.

My school in upstate NY just announced online-only through March 30 and potentially beyond that. So this is definitely the way things are moving now.

Molloy/Cap21 is virtual classes only starting tomorrow until March 28. They will reassess along the way. Next week is their Spring Break.

I also wonder what this does to MT acceptance notifications? Are schools scrambling to get them all out, or will they delay them further?

I would guess admin work can be done virtually and there won’t be much of a delay in our timelines as we’re waiting for responses … faculty might be scrambling to make their courses online instead of classroom-based, but if I had to guess, the notification process won’t be too disrupted by this, if at all.

U Cincinnati is also going to remote instruction until April 13th. Not sure how that affects CCM but strong suspicion that our travel plans to see freshman showcase and kid in spring musical are going to be a bust.

Can one pay for ‘virtual learning’ with ‘virtual money?’

@Jpkcmo Yes. DS is upset. He says they don’t know whether it will affect Gentleman’s Guide yet

Throwing out an idea for those that are trying to figure out visits. I wonder if the school would do a FaceTime/Skype tour for you. Perhaps they can give a tour that way and then hand you off to watch a class from afar…pass you around to a couple of students, etc. Not as good as in person, but if you can’t travel in April (and assuming they’re back in session) it might be the best you can do.

@speezagmom I was just thinking – the college marketing departments should be working hard to get some “tour” and department videos out – especially for theatre students (since their typical acceptances run so late). It is in their best interest to try to attract the students they have accepted?? Some have almost nothing online! Some have a lot…so just saying…

I just learned that Crucible Cast Party (CCP) Instagram account has tours of quite a few school theatre depts from this year where the kids did takeovers, including CCM, Niagara, Rider, Arizona, OU, Elon, Temple, Western Connecticut, etc. It might be worth checking out if your school is on there. The instagram name is ccp.admins and these are in the “stories.” not posts.

I agree. My D is freaking out about this and I am too. She’s a gap year kid and has to be 100% sure of her decision since as far as I know the BFA credits don’t transfer and you have to start at year 1. Gen ed does transfer. This is crazy.

OK CC tribe, I think we are on the verge of making a final decision, even with having 4 schools still to hear from. If any of you have ANY information about the University of the Arts; why it would be a great choice, or why we should think twice, PLEASE share that info now! We are hoping to visit in a month but are also aware that there might be a school closure in the future, forcing my D to make a decision sight unseen. We need your personal experience (or the personal experiences of those you know and trust)!! THANK YOU!!

@NeensMom I only have secondhand information and not much at that but for what it’s worth I can tell you I know someone whose D is a sophomore MT there and they love it. I hear positive things from them whenever I see them. Best of luck making your decision!!

@NeensMom The dorms seem to be more spacious than others we’ve toured!

@NeensMom you don’t want to hear from the other four schools before making a decision? But i do understand that if your D knows that U of Arts is where her heart is at then she should be there. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what the others say, if you already know what you want! Congrats on finding your way towards a decision!

@tygerpig the schools we are waiting on are extreme reaches (Pace, BoCo, NYU, and Miami) and come with a host of issues including cost and not being true conservatory programs in close proximity to NYC. We won’t make an official commitment until all the results are in, but my D is very close to making the emotional commitment to UArts which is why I’m trying to gather any info I can present to her now to help her make an educated (not totally emotional) decision about their program.

@NeensMom…I’m curious about your comment that Pace, BOCO, NYU, and Miami are not “true conservatory programs.” BOCO is a stand alone conservatory, like UArts. NYU/Tisch offers conservatory training within a university setting. To my knowledge, so do Pace and UMiami’s BFA programs.

@NeensMom I would echo the wise comments of @soozievt and also say that after all the vagaries of this process, the students and parents are in the catbird seat once all the offers are on the table.

Would suggest you not give that up prematurely just because yesses came later than no’s and it was quite a relief to have a program recognize your DD’s gifts.

The validation creates a huge emotional response and bond. UArts will always be the first yes. Will they be the best yes? Can you wait another two weeks after years of preparation to find out?

Obviously I fall more on the analytical side, but this is for most families one of the most important decisions their kids will ever have. Does everyone pick door #1?

@NeensMom - At NYU the NSB studio is very selective - but they take a lot of people in Tisch all studios - so if you applied all studios I think she has a shot. They give no money, so people often come off the waitlist. The location is a 10 - great acting but I heard the dance is not good - they have new teachers all the time, and don’t level their dance classes properly. BOCO is selective but they take a big class - so she may get in?? There is no rush - mentally prepare for U Arts but I wouldn’t commit to anything until its all in - and NYU can go past May - the take A LOT off the waitlist - if you are willing to pay.