The Class of 2027 – Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

Point Park MT here, I love it and recommend, such a fantastic program. Have had so many opportunities already, amazing professors, and Pittsburgh is so fun. dm me if you have any specific questions!

1 Like

Hi, Have they provided you with you Financial Aid package? Maybe you will get more aid than expected. Also, start looking for grants and scholarships. It would be awesome to be able to attend NYU. Goodluck to you!!!

That’s kinda the problem. NYU was the only school that required the CSS profile, and we didn’t understand what it was. My dad assumed he made too much money, and I read that it was for financial need. So, I didn’t fill it out, which was a huge mistake, obviously. I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to afford the school anyway, and I’m pretty okay with Ohio!

Has anyone here committed to Syracuse for MT or Acting? My D recently committed.

haven’t committed, but am considering committing for mt! if you don’t mind my asking, what were the reasons your daughter chose Syracuse over other programs?

My D was deciding between Syracuse and Boco. She wanted more of a college feel instead of a conservatory. She wanted more diversity and didn’t want to be fully surrounded with kids in the arts.

2 Likes

I would look into ithaca too! It has such an amazing curriculum, and they have notable alum everywhere! It’s a very notable mt program :slight_smile:

FYI: MSU MT just announced that Josh Young is the new MT coordinator. Check him out. He’s amazing and will continue the excellence at MSU. They cross pollinate with the Acting BFAs so it’s important for acting & MT.

1 Like

I haven’t read through the entire thread, did Ithaca announce decisions?

1 Like

Just to add to that: He was previously head of MT at Oakland University. His wife is Emily Padgett, also a Broadway veteran.

I’m not sure who is taking his place at Oakland.

Mine just chose Syracuse over BOCO as well

3 Likes

We haven’t heard from them

1 Like

to all those trying to decide between programs, I highly recommend finding the senior showcases from last year and watching them! It has been very helpful on my end to get a sense of where I’d be after four years in a certain program, and has helped eliminate some options.

3 Likes

My DD is graduating from OCU this year and I would encourage you to look carefully at their social media…take note that it is the same small # of students that get the notable parts and that those kids likely did high school camp at OCU also. They are biased towards those with a pageant background. Senior showcase is audition based and highly biased towards those same pageant ladies and camp goers. Choose wisely. Its great training at OCU but it is a highly slanted program. My kiddo had a number of roles but there are a vast majority who had maybe one ensemble part on MainStage and nothing else. Really would not recommend.

2 Likes

I would suggest she take a few dance classes. Honestly if she doesn’t have a background in dance, the classes in university are not going to turn her into one. My kiddo went to OCU which has a top dance program and she did a ton of dance but she is now a good mover but no where near the level of the kids who have trained all their lives. I would just trust her decision and encourage her to keep moving with a dance class somewhere.

1 Like

This, I think, is a common problem in many of these BFA programs. On the one hand, you want them to get the best training and that includes actually performing. On the other hand, something to be said for being realistic regarding casting. Drives you crazy when you spend all this money and they don’t get cast.

What I’ve found to be refreshing in D’s program is lots of kids are doing their own thing outside of the program. She’s in NYC so that might be easier (or harder). More venues but way more competition. Occasionally you’ll see a kid performing in a cabaret or jazz club, dinner theater, etc. D produced and sang in a holiday concert at an art gallery, has been an extra on a popular cable show, etc. Lots of her friends are getting little nibbles here and there.

But the program show casting has been a challenge. She’s been called back for many leads or U/S of lead to not even make it in the ensemble. It’s like lead or nothing for her. Mostly nothing.

I keep on telling her to focus on the training. That’s what’s really important and that’s probably pretty good at most of these programs.

2 Likes

just committed to Northwestern for theatre with an MT certificate!

3 Likes

I applied to 22 schools, but 8 I applied to for film, but here are my MT results:

Prescreens:
Roosevelt - Pass
Temple - Pass
Point Park - Pass
Ithaca - Redirected to Theatre Studies
Emerson - Redirected to Theatre and Performance/Acting
Syracuse - Redirected to Acting
Pace - Rejected
Hartford - Rejected
PSU - Rejected
Howard - Rejected

No Prescreen:
Marymount
Wagner
NYU Tisch

Acceptances:
Marymount
Wagner
Emerson
Ithaca
Roosevelt
Point Park (Theatre Arts)
Pace (Switched major to film)
Howard (Switched major to film)
PSU (Switched major to film)
Hartford (Switched major to cinema)

Waitlist:
NYU (after an ED deferral)
Temple

Rejection:
Syracuse

Decision:
I’m so happy to say that I’ve committed to Marymount Manhattan College! I really fell in love with MMC at my audition and I’m so glad that it’s where I’m going to be spending the next 4 years. If I get off the waitlist at NYU that’ll definitely complicate things, but right now I’m happy that I’m going to be attending Marymount.

4 Likes

been a way for a bit, new format messed me up and I got distracted but daughter is finishing junior year at BW and similar experience as my old friend @rickle1 …hope all my old friends from MT class of '24 are well. Daughter just released her first single on all streaming service " little red car" download or stream it & help a college kid earn.00003 LOL

5 Likes

Update for those that are wondering about BW waitlist next year. The BW waitlist didn’t start to move until the end of April. I know of several boys that got off the waitlist, including my son. I am not sure about the girls. So they do eventually pull from the waitlist, but it was very much down to the wire with the May 1st deadline just a few days away.

1 Like