The Class of 2027 – Sharing, Venting, Discussing! MT

I have so many questions. How do I message you?

My daughter has such a similar list and journey.

PRESCREEN REJECTIONS:
Elon MT
UMich MT

PRESCREEN PASSES:
Carnegie Mellon- MT and Acting
CCM-MT and Acting
Ithaca College - Acting redirect
Point Park-Acting redirect (did not pursue)
Rider-MT
Syracuse MT and Acting
Boston Conservatory-MT
Otterbein MT
Emerson MT
Indiana MT
Pace MT
Molloy/Cap 21 MT
Shenandoah Acting redirect (did not pursue)

NO PRESCREEN REQUIRED:

Baldwin Wallace MT
NYU MT only
Montclair State MT

FINAL REJECTIONS:
Ithaca College Acting
CCM MT and Acting
Carnegie Mellon MT and Acting
BW MT
Montclair State MT (accepted for BA)
Molloy/Cap 21 MT

WAITLIST:

Emerson MT
Pace MT
Indiana MT
UNCG MT
BW Acting (turned it down)

FINAL ACCEPTANCES:

Oakland MT
Millikin MT
Ohio Northern MT
Boston Conservatory MT
Syracuse Actor Singer track
Rider University MT
Webster MT
Marymount Manhattan MT
Muhlenberg BA
Brandeis BA

FINAL DECISION:
Waitlists still pending, but strongly leaning towards Syracuse. Syracuse MT was strong first choice, but not positive about acting redirect

Oh yeah, still haven’t heard from Otterbein

1 Like

Definitely more mixed results here, but very happy with how things panned out!

PRESCREEN REJECTIONS:
Penn State MT
Ithaca MT
Syracuse MT
Point Park MT
Michigan MT
Otterbein MT
CCM MT
Elon MT
BOCO MT (was initial waitlisted for an audition)

PRESCREEN PASSES:
Emerson MT
Carnegie Mellon MT
Illinois Wesleyan MT
Millikin MT (withdrew in February)
Roosevelt CCPA MT
Pace MT
Rider MT
Oakland MT*
Cornish MT*
Missouri State MT*
Molloy/CAP 21 MT*
Nazareth MT*
Stephens MT*
LIU Post MT*
West Virginia MT*
Miami MT* (did not pursue)

*called back for these schools from Pittsburgh Unifieds, unsure which ones usually prescreen in a non-consortium setting

NO PRESCREEN REQUIRED:
Baldwin Wallace MT
Ball State MT
Marymount Manhattan MT
UArts MT
Montclair MT

FINAL REJECTIONS:
Baldwin Wallace MT
Ball State MT (accepted for BA)
Montclair (accepted for BA)
Illinois Wesleyan MT
Carnegie Mellon MT
Molloy/CAP 21 MT
Emerson MT
Roosevelt CCPA MT
Pace MT
Rider MT

WAITLIST:
Marymount Manhattan MT
Nazareth MT

FINAL ACCEPTANCES:
Cornish MT
Oakland MT
Stephens MT
West Virginia MT
LIU Post MT
UArts MT
Marymount Manhattan Acting

FINAL DECISION:
Still waiting on the results of a financial aid appeal, but hopefully UArts!!

2 Likes

Gap year student Final Stats. The program I used during my Gap year was non-profit so I had fee waivers for ALL schools and prescreens. Senior year I had 1/15 acceptances. Scroll for my final Stats this year!

PRESCREEN REJECTIONS
Elon university

PRESCREEN PASSES

Abilene Christian - MT
Alabama at Birmingham - MT
Austin Peay - MT
Belmont - MT
Boston Conservatory - MT
Brenau - MT
California State Fullerton - MT
Carnegie Mellon - MT
Central Oklahoma - MT
CCM - MT
Coast Carolina - MT
Emerson - MT
Florida State - MT
Florida Southern - MT
Illinois Wesleyan - MT
Indiana - MT
Institute of The Arts Barcelona - MT
Ithaca - MT
Long Island - MT
Millikin - MT
Molloy/CAP21 - MT
Montevallo - MT
Nebraska Wesleyan - MT
New Hampshire - MT
New World School of The Arts - MT
NYFA - MT
North Colorado - MT
Oakland - MT
Ohio Northern - MT
Oklahoma - MT
Penn State - MT
Point Park - MT
Rider - MT
Rockford - MT
Roosevelt - MT
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland - MT
Semo - MT
Syracuse - MT
UTA - MT
TCU - MT
Texas State - Acting
Texas Tech - MT
Umiami - MT
UNCG - MT
UNCSA - Acting
Ualabama - MT
UArts - MT
Valdosta State - MT
Western Connecticut - MT
Wisconsin Stevens Point - MT
Wright State - MT

DID NOT FOLLOW UP WITH CALLBACK
Coastal Carolina
California State Fullerton
UNCG
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
Institute of The arts barcelona
Florida southern
Belmont
New world school of the arts
Texas tech
Central oklahoma
Indiana
Boston conservatory
UNCSA
Viterbo
Texas State

REJECTED
Umiami
CCM
CMU
Oklahoma
Penn State
Montclair State

WAITLISTED
Ithaca
Ball State
Wisconsin Stevens Point

ACCEPTED
Long Island - MT
Oakland - MT
Ohio Northern - MT
Millikin - MT
UAlabama - MT
Northern Colorado - MT
Montevallo - MT
Alabama at Birmingham - MT
Valdosta State - MT
Brenau - MT
Texas State at Arlington - MT
Rockford - MT
New York Film Academy - MT
Uarts - MT
Nebraska Wesleyan - MT
New Hampshire - MT
Abilene Christian - MT
Austin Peay - MT
Western Connecticut State - MT
Molloy - MT
Syracuse - MT
Hartford - MT
Roosevelt - MT
Emerson - MT
Point Park - MT
Texas Christian - MT
Wright State - MT
Rider - MT
Florida State - MT

FINAL DECISION
Florida State!!! Go Noles!!

2 Likes

Looks like I can’t private message with you for some reason .

Bummer thanks for trying

Opinions on the following please!:

OCU BM MT
Point Park BFA MT
UAlabama BFA MT
Ithaca BFA MT
Otterbein BFA MT

Currently leaning towards Otterbein after a visit! That and Alabama are the most financially possible, and the staff at Otterbein are so caring and personable! I would love some opinions please!

2 Likes

My Daughter was waitlisted. We heard yesterday. Crossing our fingers she really likes Temple.

They sent me an email yesterday saying I got waitlisted too.

Decided I wanted to pursue a degree in acting later than most… Spent this year trying to figure out how to do this without any help. I didn’t do nearly as many schools are others, but here’s my list. This is a completely honest list, and I faced a lottttt of rejections. This is all acting!

Prescreen Passes:

CCM

Prescreen Rejections:

UF
FSU
DePaul
Umich (academic rejection)
SUNY

No Prescreens:

NYU
Webster
NIU
WVU
OU
GMU
UIC
UIUC
Shenandoah
Michigan State
Rutgers
Emerson

Rejected After Audition/Callback:

CCM
UIC
UIUC
Shenandoah
Emerson
Rutgers
Webster

Waitlists:

Michigan State

Acceptances:

NYU
GMU
OU
NIU
WVU

Decision: I’m going to be attending Ohio University in the fall! I know you would probably assume I’d be going to NYU, but the financial aid isn’t a thing, so I can’t go. Michigan State’s waitlist will take till the end of summer to hear back from…. So no. I’m pretty excited about OU! There’s not a lot of information about it, but I sat in on two classes, and it’s great!

5 Likes

Ok dramamama3, since I can’t sleep well lately, I’ll try to ask a couple of my questions here and hopefully not annoy anyone else. :sunglasses: My daughter decided to commit to Syracuse even though it was her only acting redirect. She gave up some great MT offers and it’s making me nervous that she’s going to call home regretting her decision. She refused to even apply acting anywhere else but insists Syracuse is different and the acting program is one of the best and can’t be passed up. How hard is it to take dance on the actor singer track and how necessary is it for a good career? I only hesitate bc she originally ruled out programs that didn’t have it daily and now it seems like she’s choosing one that will go entire semesters without it. Do students that want careers in the theater world really need dance heavy backgrounds or can they make it without if they are super strong in acting and singing? She has very little dance training. Should she reconsider programs like boco annd pace or will she get what she needs ant Syracuse? Any idea on actor singer track outcomes? I believe you have a junior on the track that was originally applying MT as well, right?. Happy with choice in retrospect? Thanks for any feedback and/or reassurance.

Hi. Congrats on the commit and welcome to the Orange family. My daughter grew up a MT kid but fell in love with the Acting program at Cuse and applied Ed for Acting . She did not apply for MT. She is not part of the actor singer track but still kept up with voice lessons . This track hasn’t been around for that long. I believe her freshman year was the first time it was offered. .lots of students take voice and dance classes and hasn’t been an issue. There are dance classes available for non drama kids as well up on the main campus. Acting majors and MT majors audition for the same shows and actors are cast in musicals and mt kids are cast in plays. The London study abroad at The Globe was incredible for her as a performer. She is confident with the all around training she has received thus far and wouldn’t have changed a thing.

2 Likes

Thanks, great answer! I’m going to try to stop stressing and overthinking and trust she knows what she wants. She’s super thrilled and ecstatic about it! Go Orange. :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 more questions. Do they bring in industry professionals for master classes and do acting majors participate? Also, would you say the drama community is like a family as a whole supporting one another or pretty spread out with small pockets of cohorts?

There are master classes with professionals that the whole drama dept can participate in. Freshman year they are divided into smaller core groups for the year. They are a close knit dept with no hierarchy among the majors. They take some classes with just others in the major and others with all drama majors. They get big sisters / big brothers as well when school starts . Freshman year is a non performance year so they develop close friendships with out the stress and competition of auditions .

1 Like

Congratulations on Ohio! My D was accepted to their MT track, but is probably going elsewhere. We know of others who have been accepted there in the past couple years, and Ohio seems to have a particularly strong acting program. Good decision for you not to get in huge debt attending NYU.

NYU has an extremly low yield due to cost. Each year we have seen more and more students accepted due to the cost and knowing many won’t take it. Also, every year they seem to be the last school or one of the very last schools to release decisions and we hear of so many students who had almost taken a gap year or were scrambling without offers and then get the NYU acceptance. I feel like their reputation is suffering due to this dynamic. The cost is just outrageous…

1 Like

Their reputation is suffering?! I don’t think so.
Overall NYU acceptance rate this year was 8%, their lowest ever. The audition- based programs have even lower acceptance rates.

3 Likes

For the school as a whole, yes.

How is NYU suffering if they have had their lowest rate of acceptance ever (8%)? That means more students are applying than ever. Last year, their yield rate was 40%, similar to Rice and Vanderbilt, highly selective colleges. BU, a very selective university (11% admit rate this year) has a yield rate of 24%. Emory University’s yield rate is 35%. USC’s (acceptance rate of 10%) has a yield rate of 41%.

In terms of the timing of their college admissions decision notification date in the RD round, it is similar to many other highly selective colleges, such as the Ivies, Georgetown, Stanford, Barnard, USC, UMichigan. My own child who applied to BFA programs in MT received her admissions notifications in the same time frame as her sibling who received hers from highly selective non-MT colleges.

Further, NYU has robust ED1 and ED2 rounds with tons of applicants willing to commit if accepted.

4 Likes