The Good Wife of Bath - October CC Book Club Selection

We can start choosing our December book at any time!

I feel like I posted much less than usual for this round, but I’ve been really going through it at work all week. A new payroll program instituted by the higher-ups was an epic fail, and we’ve had meetings from dawn to dusk every day to try to fix what’s broke. So in answer to @ignatius’ question, “What are you reading in the interim?”…Instruction manuals!

2 Likes

I finished Lessons in Chemistry a bit ago; that’s one we talked about reading together. IMHO it was far from a perfect book, but it would give us plenty to discuss. Recommend!

Also read Elizabeth Strout’s Lucy by the Sea and found it deeply poignant. Recommend, but not as a book group choice, as there is much overlap with other books of hers, and will be best appreciated by Strout fans. (Yes, Olive is in there, briefly.)

Other recent reads (not necessarily recommendations):

• Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead, Emily Austin. Darkly humorous, mental illness, reminds me of a younger Eleanor Oliphant.
  • The One and Only Ivan, Katherine Applegate. For ages 9-12, about a gorilla, but plenty of insight into humans. Sweet and sad.
  • The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf. The classic! Ten minutes well spent.
  • One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson. More than I ever wanted to know about Charles Lindbergh, Babe Ruth, the development of movies/radio/advertising. Wonderfully digressive!
1 Like

I also recently finished Lessons in Chemistry and enjoyed it a lot, but I wouldn’t actually want to reread it unless it was paired with something else. My husband has spent his life in academia and I’ve met many women with the same complaints as the heroine.

I also read and enjoyed The Nature of Fragile things which we considered. It’s kind of a silly plot, but fun.

Mostly I’ve been reading The Expanse novels. While some are better than others, they are full of big ideas, appealing characters and a great story. If you like sci-fi at all, I highly recommend. Of course you have to be willing to read nine 500+ page books! (If that’s too much reading, the TV show is excellent, though they made some significant changes and don’t cover the last three books.

1 Like

Peyton Place?

One Summer: America 1927 appeals to me. Not only was my 95 year old Dad born that year … he was born the exact day that Lindbergh took off on his famous transatlantic flight. (The nurses wanted my grandmother to name him Lindbergh.)

1 Like

Glad he wasn’t named Lindbergh then, as the national hero took a dark turn toward Nazism later on in life. I had no idea about that before reading the book.

Also it amazed me that so many things we take for granted today were just in their infancy then. Even the technology for making movies “talk” was cutting edge. And the number of aviators who died trying to make the crossing that Lindbergh did! It really put me into the mindset of that era.

Bryson is a good storyteller.

3 Likes

I’m about to start reading https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Were-Briefly-Gorgeous-Novel/dp/0525562028 which I only picked up because his name appeared in a crossword puzzle, but all the comments on the blog that talks about the puzzle says he is worth reading. Might be worth considering for a new book

1 Like

I’m in a mild (as in not yet serious) reading slump. I’ll second @HImom’s suggestion Peyton Place because I know @VeryHappy really hoped for it to be discussed at some point.

As for what I’m reading (in bits and fits):

The Once and Future Witches: I’m bored but will force myself to finish by next Monday because … book club choice.

The Diana Chronicles - Bored but someone gave it to me. Not that I don’t like it but just way more information about Diana than I want (well … duh).

As you can tell, I’m in a mood.

Now for @Mary13 and @mathmom: Moira’s Pen: A Queen’s Thief Collection:

This collectible companion to the *New York Times*–bestselling Queen’s Thief series is ideal for longtime fans, as well as readers discovering Megan Whalen Turner’s epic and unforgettable world for the first time. The collection includes all of the author’s previously published short fiction set in the world of the Queen’s Thief, as well as never-before-published stories, vignettes and excerpts, poetry and rhymes, a guide to objects from museums around the world that inspired the author, and a very special recipe for almond cake.

The kings and queens of Eddis, Attolia, and Sounis all make unforgettable appearances, as do beloved and surprising characters from throughout the series and beyond. Meet Eugenides as a young boy in “Breia’s Earrings,” and Irene as a young princess in “The Princess and the Pastry Chef.”

The six novels in the acclaimed and bestselling Queen’s Thief series are rich with political machinations, divine intervention, dangerous journeys, battles lost and won, power, passion, and deception. This collectible volume features illustrations and decorations throughout, illustrated endpapers, a stunning full-color jacket with embossed foil and gold stamping, a cast list, maps, and an introduction by the author.

Already purchased - one for me and one for each of my daughters, both huge Megan Whalen Turner The Thief series fangirls.

3 Likes

What I am reading currently. I have been on a mystery story binge for the past 2 months. I am all caught up on the Sebastian St. Cyr books by C.S. Harris and currently bingeing on the Agatha Raisin series by M. C. Beaton. The trouble with reading a whole series in one go is that you see how formulaic they are but they are still good entertainment.

Finished The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley. Meh. I liked the previous book, The Guest List better.

Rereading The Silmarillion by Tolkien as a refresher while watching The Rings of Power on Amazon. Unfortunately, it isn’t proving to be as helpful with the characters as I hoped.

Have a few book holds that are available that I’m delaying getting because of my obsessive binge. I don’t like to have to wait to read the next in a series — bad habit! After this binge, I’ll be off mysteries and back on fantasy. I have that ready to go — A.J. Lancaster — as recommended by @mathmom.

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
Crying in HMart by Michelle Zauner
The Girl in his Shadow by Audrey Blake

I looked for The Nature of Fragile Things in my library but apparently they don’t have it.

I’ve never been able to read The Silmarilion, I think my younger son made off with it so it’s in Japan anyway. I have been skimming the appendices to TLOR though. I’m in the mood for more junky reading so maybe Peyton Place is a good choice!

I love the St. Cyr mysteries, but I am caught up. I’m guessing there won’t be a new one till next April.

1 Like

I want to read Lessons in Chemistry. I didn’t mention it as a possible choice because I thought maybe too many others may have already read it. However, I’m glad you mentioned it; possibly enough of us haven’t read it and the others may be happy to just glance through it again and join the discussion. November can be a busy month and sometimes it works well to have already read the book.

I veto The Girl in his Shadow. That one has “harrowing medical details” according to reviews. Umm - nope.

I’m in the queue for Lessons in Chemistry from my library. Hopefully it will come off hold in the next few weeks.

1 Like

@ignatius
Apologies, my post is written as if I’m suggesting those titles for the next book. Those are just the books that I have on hold at the library but keep extending till I finish the current series.

Although, I’m open to any of those being considered for the next book. I have no strong feelings for Peyton Place. I will probably join in but not too excited about it!

December is likely to be a month of chaos with home renovation projects, visitors and a family event so something easy and quick is best!

1 Like

I have Lessons in Chemistry on hold at library, after all the love shown for it on the “ best book I’ve read thread “ ………

1 Like

Great minds and all that. I too have Lessons in Chemistry on hold at the library. It seems that fewer have already read it than I thought.

Personally I should have no trouble getting it should it be the chosen book: I’m number four on the waiting list.

I do like the fact that I see the words “fast-paced” “humorous” “heartwarming” in various reviews. Whatever book gets chosen, we’ll be discussing in Dec. - leading into the holiday season (another reason to veto anything with “harrow medical details.” LOL)

I started to suggest Breathless: the scientific race to defeat a deadly virus but vetoed it myself because, really, who wants to read and then discuss the pandemic even if it is a National Book Award finalist.

2 Likes

It seems from the comments above, the main contenders are:

Peyton Place by Grace Metalious
Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

I just put Lessons in Chemistry on hold…but I’m #355 on the wait list. Yes, 355!

So…even though enthusiasm is mixed, I’m going to call it for Peyton Place. It’s a fun classic that’s easy to obtain, and it should provide plenty to discuss while not being a heavy read. Also, the book has been suggested over quite a few rounds, so let’s take the leap and do it!

The hardcover is on the shelf at my library, and maybe yours, too --but anyone can read it online for free: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20160613

“This book is in the public domain in Canada, and is made available to you DRM-free. You may do whatever you like with this book, but mostly we hope you will read it.” :grinning:

I hope so, too! I’ll start a new thread.

7 Likes

Sounds good to me. I hope that Lessons in Chemistry stays on the list!!!

3 Likes

Thanks, for swift decision, should be interesting selection! Easy reading, too.

2 Likes

@silverlady, Lessons in Chemistry will definitely stay on the list. The question is whether or not a lot of people will have already read it by the next round – those who have gotten off the waiting list anyway. We’ll see!

As for Peyton Place, maybe @VeryHappy will join us in December, since it was originally her suggestion.

2 Likes

Thanks for guiding us as always @Mary13! I’ve always been curious about but never read Peyton Place and think of it as somewhat of a period piece. It’s nice that it’s readily available for free as desired, plus a short and easy read.

2 Likes