The Latecomer - June CC Book Club Selection

Per by-laws rule #31 , established 14 ? Years ago, there’s no limit for book selections, for those with triplet siblings! You, Ignatius our real life latecomer🙂

So suggest away, @ignatius, I for one, would love to see your selections, and our fearless leader will quickly eliminate many, plus, she has some nifty tech app that analyzes the voting now! Can’t make this process too easy :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oh … I forgot about @Mary13’s new way of voting. Fun!

And I was wrong about the last four books being set in the U.S. North and South was set “across the pond.”

1 Like

I’ve read (and loved) “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow.” I’ve also read “The Marriage Portrait.” I liked it but others in my RL Book Club had a more “meh” reaction. (All of us agreed that “Hamnet” was better.)

I’m currently part way through “Demon Copperhead” for 2 RL Book Clubs.

2 Likes

Okay, at the moment we have:

1984 by George Orwell

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

True biz by Sara Novic

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

The Whalebone Theatre by Joanna Quinn

Age of Vice by Deepti Kapoor

Feel free to add or veto!

I was just perusing a list of the best book club books of the decade and ran into The Alice Network by Kate Quinn and it sounded intriguing.

In this enthralling novel from New York Times bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested in a classic, I’m planning on re-reading Wuthering Heights.

If you want to venture into weird sci-fi fantasy I’m about to start N.K. Jemisin’s The City We Became. I thought her Broken Earth trilogy was brilliant - especially the first book. Here’s a review: Review: 'The City We Became,' By NK Jemisin : NPR

Fifteen Dogs: An Apologue is a novel by Canadian writer André Alexis. I think this might have come up before. It looks weird but interesting.

If you’re looking to explore another continent Dance of the Jacaranda by Kenyan writer Peter Kimani might be worth trying. A Railroad Runs Through a Tale of Two Kenyas - The New York Times

I want to read Wuthering Heights but planned on suggesting it for the Oct. discussion :roll_eyes: And I’m interested in The City We Became for its step in a different direction this time. (I’ve wanted to read something by Jemisin.)

No problem with The Alice Network.

Adding Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford.

Also wanted to mention that I did listen/read The Latecomer but it was in early May while I was recovering from my eyelid/brow surgery and I kept nodding off. I really enjoyed my first audio book and think I liked hearing it better than I would have liked reading it. I got a strong sense of the personalities. I did like the first part better than the later parts, but honestly forgot most of the details. I did like the humor of exposing the drawbacks of certain kinds of education! I also laughed through the seder scene since it was so typical of college seders.

I mentioned this in the TV Binge thread, but I think I was getting a lot of crossover between these triplets and the Roy children in Succession.

2 Likes

I’ve read The Alice Network and thought it was very intriguing. Kate Quinn also wrote The Rose Code, which I thought was excellent and which I read because it was mentioned here on CC in the past, although I don’t know if it was a previous book club selection.

1 Like

13 books! :grinning: Time for vetoes. We have some work to do. If you feel “meh” about a book, say the word and it shall be stricken. No questions asked, no hard feelings!

1984 by George Orwell

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

True biz by Sara Novic

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

The City We Became by NK Jemisin

Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis

Dance of the Jacaranda by Peter Kimani

Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford

1 Like

Books I am not really interested in:

True biz
Fifteen Dogs (perhaps if it were Fifteen Cats)
Wuthering Heights (although I would watch the movie just to see young Lawrence Olivier again)

2 Likes

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow is off for me. It is too new so not in our library system.

I have read only twonof them. While I found Tge Marriage Portrait to be a fun read with a great ending, it doesn’t seem to me to have as many layers/themes as the ones that make good book group books.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, otoh, is quite rich that way.

I have not read the rest so that is my two cents/two books worth. And that is meant as input, not a vote!

Yes!!!

3 Likes

No vetoes.

My top picks in order.

The Dance of the Jacaranda by Peter Kimani
The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin
*Half Sick of Shadows’ by Laura Sebastian

1 Like

:rofl:

I’m removing the vetoes above, but I’d like to add Tomorrow, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow back to the list for October. By then, availability should be better. I’ll leave Wuthering Heights on for now. If it’s chosen, we’ll assign @Marilyn the task of comparing all the Heathcliffs.

1939 - Laurence Olivier

1970 - Timothy Dalton

1992 - Ralph Fiennes

1998 - Robert Cavanah

2009 - Thomas Hardy

2010 - James Howson

2 Likes

Here’s what we have so far. Any more vetoes? If not, I’ll have to do some semi-random editing to get it down to about five titles for our Ranked Choice Voting Game.

The City We Became by NK Jemisin

Dance of the Jakaranda by Peter Kimani

Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford

I’m not going to veto because I don’t know enough about these titles and while I will bow out for historical novels or sci-fi I will just jump in the months I’m interested.

But I DO want to say that I loved participating for the first time and I HOPE to get to experience more!

4 Likes

I just started the Jemisin and I’m not finding it as compelling as the Broken Earth trilogy. Probably not the best way to introduce the author!

It looks like Age of Vice came out in January so it may be hard to get. I would love to read it though!

1 Like

Thanks, @mathmom, that’s helpful and allows me to cut down the list to five titles.

I deleted The City We Became. I’ve never read any NK Jemisin, but I have The Fifth Season on my night stand and would rather start with that.

I deleted Age of Vice for the reason you mentioned. It’s not even in my library yet and both the hardcover and the kindle version are on the expensive side.

I deleted Light Perpetual because it imagines the lives that would have been for five children killed in a bombing – and that’s just too much loss, and hits too close to home (in the U.S.) for a summer read.

That leaves us with:

Dance of the Jakaranda by Peter Kimani

Don’t vote yet, let me set up the poll link. Be back shortly.

1 Like