The M10 Freak Out Thread Applicants 2015

Done with apps but now I’ve become obsesses with thinking and talking aboyt schools I can tell my friends are getting patient but I’m so scared

which schools did you apply to @boardingprep1213‌

The applications process has had me so stressed out! Well, at least it’s good practice for college applications…

@goldenfygg Same here (about the recommendations). One of my teachers actually finished the recommendation within two days. I was surprised because I thought it would take at least about a week, but I hope it was good!

The times on andoveraquatics.net seem really fast. Are those the ones for Varsity (I hope)? I can’t seem to find the ones for Junior Varsity but I think my times are probably around those ones.

@mathman1201: Don’t forget to add finals to that list, too! My stress is practically through the roof.

@thelittleswimmer Are you talking about finals in school? You have finals in January?

Does having off campus interviews work negatively against me? Do people that interview on campus have a better advantage?

Ummm…why isn’t it showing wether or not my teacher sent in the recs for Choate even though they did??? And I don’t know if my guidance counselor sent in my transcripts!!! WHATT DO I DO??? ~X(

@whimsicalwhims Call the Choate Admissions Office and ask if they received your teacher’s rec and ask them if any recommendations from your guidance counselor is in the database.

@mathman1201: I am interviewing off-campus too. A lot of the school websites say that they will consider both on-campus and off-campus equally, but on-campus might be better because you meet with the actual admissions officers and if your interviewer really likes you, they can help “pull for you” or be “on your side/an ally” in the admissions decision process. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/1386763-does-off-campus-interviews-hurt-your-application.html.

A quote from that thread: "Our son interviewed with an alum at a local Starbucks, and it was a wonderful, insightful exchange. If alum interviews didn’t carry any weight and were worthless to the school, why would they bother? The admissions office has enough to do without wasting everyone’s time. Schools realize that not every applicant can make it to campus, and they realize that they may be bypassing some stellar contributors by not making the effort to reach them in some alternate way, so they will Skype, phone, and use their alumni network to make sure everyone has an opportunity to interview.

Is it “better” to interview on campus? I would say yes, but not because I believe your admission chances are substantially better. There is no better way for YOU to get to know the school than to put your feet on the ground, talk to students, tour the facilities, talk to teachers/coaches, etc. Remember, the interview goes both ways. The school is trying to get a sense of you, and you are trying to get a sense of the school. There is no better way for you to do that than to be on campus.

Also, I dislike how CCers try to second-guess what is ultimately a very transparent process. There is nothing “magic” about the interview. Important, yes; magic, no. The school just wants to get a sense of how the real kid relates to the kid on paper, and they are very good at getting what they want through all the avenues they offer. I think too much is made of that dream connection with that one ad-com who will go to bat for a kid around the decision table and change a “no” to a “yes”. Does that happen? Sure. But kids are able to shine through any connection; all is not lost if you can’t make it to campus. I don’t want any student here to think that their application is second-rate due to a necessary off-campus interview (emphasis on “necessary”)."

Off-campus interviews are better in the way that you can talk freely with the alumni for as long as you want as opposed to the specific time limit for interviews on-campus since there are so many interviewing on-campus. I have also seen threads here where people mentioned that the alumni that interviewed with them liked them so much that they called the Dean of Admissions and talked to him personally, so it could go either way. As long as you had a good interview, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

@whimsicalwhims‌ don’t panic same thing for me here, I called the office an they don’t process everything until after the deadline. Check gochoate again on Feb 1 and call then if they still are not showing but I wouldn’t worry

Thanks guys :slight_smile: I just checked the Choate admission website, and saw that the recs have been delivered. It wasn’t just shown on the Gochoate website…

@thelittleswimmer - I’m presuming that these are varsity times, but I really don’t know. I’ve had a hard time finding swimming times for any of the schools my kid is applying to - this was much more than I could find anywhere else.

An alum emailed me a doc that contained what interviewers look for and I thought it was general knowledge so…

1. Please comment on the candidate’s ability to express and articulate his or her thoughts.
  1. Describe the student’s intellectual ability, motivation and interest in learning.
  2. Comment on the student’s originality and maturity of thought.
  3. Does the student have a special commitment to an extracurricular activity?
  4. Describe the student’s personal qualities, such as leadership ability, thoughtfulness, and maturity.
  5. Is there anything special about the candidate’s school situation or family background that we should know?

AAAArgh, I am so stressed, the teacers are piling on the homework and I have fiinals at the end of the month.
Sorry for ranting,but we are all in the same boat…

@boardingprep1213‌ Oh my, sorry for taking so long to reply, although I’m certain you forgot what you asked. In response to “Why not?” (about my mom not letting me apply to Deerfield), she said it was already a lot of work for one school. I’m not going to bad mouth my mom since she’s been so great throughout the entire process, but I was really disappointed.

@LondonLady‌ I’m applying to Exeter! (you asked Jan.4th)

Wow, I noticed a ton of stressed comments from yesterday about Jan.15th. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! :slight_smile: THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS ALMOST OVER!

After the deadlines it’s just going to be panicky M10 speculation.