The Official 2018 Freakout Thread

Please keep in mind that schools admit more kids than they expect to enroll - they know that some will decide not to go. For example, a school that predicts a 70% yield for a 100 person class will admit about 142 (71 boys and 71 girls, most schools try to balance the M/F ratio).

As a result, the school probably won’t go to the boy’s waitlist unless those 21 extra boys decide not to go - or unless a really spikey kid declines and they need to replace that spike (think quarterback or similar).

Question— when people say “full FA” does it literally mean you pay nothing or that you pay very little in comparison to tuition? Just curious!

@SkysTheLimit2007 Depends. Some might be referring to paying very little, and others may be referring to paying nothing.

Actually full FA means full…

So if you have to pay just $500 then it isn’t classed as “full?” It’s an honest question!

@SkysTheLimit2007 I’d classify it as under $1,000 as full.

Thank you @snapchat!

I think of “full” aid as “fully” meeting the need, regardless of how big or small that need might be.

Did anyone receive packages from their accepted schools?

I just thought about it; the apartment we live in is full of boarding school grads and students.
Upstairs lives the siblings that go to Thacher (well graduating this year)
Downstairs lives the girl who goes to St. Andrews
Then the boy who goes to MIlton in the first floor and on the same floor is the kid that goes to NMH.

@TryHardForLife Yeah. For Woodberry I got my ‘black tie’ I cut during the first day of school.

@snapchat I’m surprised you haven’t pumped your neighbors for information! Which seem happiest, the Thacher kids or the St Andrew’s ones. Both schools have an aura of kindness and authenticity that we didn’t see everywhere… the cultures felt really similar even though the schools look so different (one full of boys in jackets and ties, the other full of casually-dressed kids off to clean up after their horse.)

@CaliMex You bet I did, but I like NE boarding schools better at the end. The Thacher boy brought us his pictures of his horse at Thacher. All of them are happy in their own ways :slight_smile:

Thanks @ HMom16. We know the chance is very low; but we don’t want to give up yet. If I have pay that much money for the school; at least it’s the one she really want. Otherwise; better off to stay at the public school since we in the best school district in town. The famous TJ ( Thomas Jefferson) HS is only 15 mins from my house.

@DCmom2018 Her situation is like me :confused:

DA was also my dream school :confused: I started thinking many things about it for the last couple of days :confused:
But, got rejected :confused:

I don’t know what’s wrong with me :confused: That school is too hard to get in :confused:

That’s the frustrated part. We don’t know what’s wrong with our applications. Khanshaheb, is ur SSAT score bad?

I got packages from SPS and Choate, but no where else. I bet it was the storm and I hope to get them today ;)) @TryHardForLife

@TryHardForLife I got a package from PEA, but I also live within a few towns of it.

My daughter has gotten into Emma Willard, Miss Porter’s, Madeira, Chatham Hall and Westover. Now comes the hard park to choose among these wonderful schools.

@TryHardForLife yeah, my PEA package was airmailed so I got that, but I’m waiting on my Episcopal package as well as lots of rejection letters, lol…