The Official M10 2020 Freakout Thread

I’ve only done one with a less-competitive school, and really, it wasn’t an interview. It was more like a conversation about the school and it was mostly me asking the questions, haha.

1. Dress shirt with jeans
  2. They didn’t;;;; ask;’;;;; questions??;;;; They only asked me to write a writing draft.
  3. An hour and a half.

I think there are several threads going on right now with what to wear and what ao’s ask.

In general you need to match the dress code or be slightly more dressed up than it.

Cute, casual dress + converse or ballet flats. Khakis and dress shirt. If it’s a more dressed up school then you need to match so jacket and tie.

Interview questions are everywhere on cc.

^ @SolarJ I bet you nailed it! AOs say that the most successful “interviews” are in fact conversations.

@one1ofeach would you say that the AO’s don’t like tight fitting clothing? i don’t mean leggings, but would they be fine with a tight fitting sweater?

@gardenstategal

Thanks for the encouragement! I do hope I do just as, if not better on my other interviews.

When in doubt, opt for the more conservative approach

@TheHappinessFund I agree, opt for slightly more conservative. Somewhat tight is fine but if the sweater came from Garage then it’s a no. My daughters dress was form fitting on top but not skin tight.

Even I wore an outfit I would not usually wear. It was just more “mom” than I usually go for. Again. Just a bit more conservative.

Hey all (:

I need to get a couple of practice books for the SSAT. I heard Cracking the SSAT & ISSEE by Princeton is good, but I wanted to know if there are any others that would be helpful too.

Also, I’m fine in my other subjects, except for math. I got a 34th percentile and if I can bring it up I can get a way higher score.

I wanted to get one practice book dedicated to math and one overall one. What practice books are good for math?

If you’re looking through any SSAT prep book, I would definitely check if they focus on drills or strategies. strategy books are more likely to guide you to the right path on test day

Oh also,

I have an interview with Hill in December and I was wondering if I could wear the same outfit I wore for the rest of my interviews.

It’s dress-casual, but Hill has a very formal dress code, so I’m not sure.

I have to get a new outfit anyways, but I was going to opt for something dress-casual again. Like a plain dress with a sweater or a wrap dress.

what specifically do you recommend?

I’ve seen so many mixed reviews and I don’t know what to get

@ens2006 I wore a dress tbh the ao really liked it tho

@Mercurrii was it like a formal dress? i just want to know if it’s okay to wear something more casual

The rule of thumb is that your interview outfit should, at a minimum, conform with the dress code.

Our DS used ISEE test prep online by Test innovators. It was a bit harder i think as he did much better on the real ISEE. They are bit pricey though.

I’m filling out my application bit by bit, but I’ve yet to show my parents the statement thing. What’s the purpose of the parent’s statement? Is it to show a side of the student at home?

@SolarJ , the parent statement can help AOs get a sense of who you are, but it also gives them a sense of your parents’ expectation for you and the school.

I remember having to write several “essays” so I think you may want to show your parents what they need to do sooner rather then later.

I found a book called cracking the SSAT by Mometrix. The Princeton version had bad reviews as did many others. I’ve never heard of this book but it was the first book I’ve seen so far with a bunch of really good reviews.

@ens2006 On the website, they only had ISEE books. Is this a new addition to their program?