The Official M10 2020 Freakout Thread

@schoolmom8, definitely call. You may get lucky.

But the reality is that this is the way some families “game” the system so steel yourself for bad news. Unfortunately, as parents, have the capacity to pay but only one of you is willing to do so (and both of you will have to do so.)

I am sorry you are in this bind. Perhaps your ex can be persuaded?

To @LeeLeeB and others who are hoping for Revisit Day experiences. Yes, some have been cancelled. But somewhere up-thread there was a comment about the purpose of Revisit and ultimately get your commitment to attend the school.

Please don’t expect too much on Revisit Day(s). Often, the staff is overwhelmed by having hundreds of people on campus, very tight schedules and hosting multiple events that sometimes run simultaneously. Here are some tips & advice based on our experiences:

• Don’t expect too much - manage your expectations
  • Do clarify what your goals and expectations are as parents, then have your student clarify their expectations and goals for Revisit. Try to be specific about the goals of attending Revisit for each school because it may be different or unique.
  • Do not expect that your AO/AC/AD will have time to talk with you or even recognize you (do not take it personally), because they will be super busy.
  • Do try to speak with other parents and students currently enrolled.
  • Do visit dorms and bathrooms
  • Do check out the after-school scene if possible. See how kids interact, group together, what activities they are engaged in, what is the vibe after school, where kids hang out, etc.
  • Remember that schools “prep” their students for Revisit - so they may be putting on happy faces or be extra friendly to each other (in public) and to you visiting families.
  • Do observe red flags - if particular groups of parents (eg alumni, legacy, donors) have certain designations on their name tags and/or are herded into the special receptions or get preferential treatment. At one school, it was like that opening frat scene from Animal House (dating myself). For us, we felt this was a turn-off and a possible harbinger of a select group making an elite school more “elite” for themselves.
  • Do have your “BS” radar on about BS.

Hi @schoolmom8 - I got an identical letter. We do love the school, so the email is mostly a pleasant surprise (one admit in the bag, takes some edge off this weekend.) But I was also curious why they sent it yesterday.

I doubt the needle can move very much unless you offer new information. New information includes any offer from another school! I was thinking to wait to call after the FA picture is more clear March 11.

The unsettling thing is if it is a portent of how other schools’ offers will go. We’ll find out soon enough. Good luck.

time for my final school interview before M10! At least i’ve interviewed with this school before, so i know what to expect…

@TheHappinessFund Good luck!!

@TheHappinessFund have you had your interview yet? If not, good luck!! If you have, I hope it went well :smiley:

I would definitely recommend calling to discuss, but I have a slightly different (more cynical?) take on the letter. Schools are acutely aware of their yield number - how many acceptances turn into matriculated students. I think the letter is at least in part an effort to gauge whether there’s any chance you’ll still come even without financial aid. If there’s no chance, then they may reconsider the admission since it would be “wasted” on someone who could not come. Brutal, but it happens at any school that is not need-blind.

I hope I’m wrong and that you’re able to persuade them to provide FA! Good luck.

What sort of relationship (if any) does your ex have with DD?
Is the ex currently abiding by a child support order?

I ask this because years ago, my bf in prep school had a not dissimilar situation, although as a day student. Her mother was able to argue a more favorable FA package by showing that Dad was… well, not a supportive father and a vindictive ex who had very little to do with his children, and had stuck Mom with the payments on his yacht.

I will say that this will be a recurrent topic for you. A young relative has had to worry every year of college, because her father simply send in the paperwork until August - and that’s considering that her stepdad was the one covering everything that was not covered by FA. (Even the most loving stepparent doesn’t want to pay $55K extra!)

Hi @Trebuchet - Just for clarity and an FYI - The only way that letter would be " one in the bag " or good news is if you can become full pay on the spot and attend that particular school - period .

If you receive financial aid from another school ( or schools ) on M10, that offer ( or those offers ) can’t be used as a bargaining chip or leverage for aid ( " New information includes any offer from another school! " ) with the school that you just received the letter from… because TBH the school that sent you the letter could care less what other schools offer .

Simply put: It’s a courtesy and they’re giving you a heads up. So if you’re unable to become FP or you don’t have a potential argument or new information for them to consider now like @schoolmom8 - it’s actually a rejection.

I would also encourage anyone who received a letter like this to call the school ASAP - like Monday - especially if they’re inviting you to call them. It’s the calm before the storm ( see deliberate timing ) and IDK about you, but if I had received this letter, I wouldn’t wait until after M10- especially if I wanted to demonstrate interest, make my case and have someone give me their full attention.

All the best and good luck!

did anyone else get acceptance packages from kent today?

@laxgirl88888 aah, did you? congratulations!

Hey! Exeter applicant here. I was looking at a few old threads for Exeter, and I saw that some people had gotten their decisions early? Just curious, any of u guys heard from exeter yet? Thank you!

I don’t think they will rescind the offer - but they definitely want you to start thinking about them.The overall idea is for you to start thinking about them before you even get offers from others.

@Trebuchet… I was thinking the same thing…no possibility of FA from all…I hope and pray I’m wrong…Good luck M10-let us know how you make out!!!

@laxgirl88888 DD got the kent box too and she is SO excited! (btw for anyone else waiting – it was sent regular first class mail so don’t worry if you haven’t gotten anything yet – mail can really vary).

Also I’ll add: Kent seems to still be holding revisit days, at least according to the package we got!

@Applicant7892 really? that seems so unlikely to me… I’m PEA and none of my classmates received their email any earlier than 6am on our M9 last year…

@schoolmom8 best of luck!! got my fingers crossed on your behalf!

@Calliemomofgirls so happy for you!!! congratulations!

@RedLioness I did! Thank you!!!

Hooray, @laxgirl88888 and @Calliemomofgirls on Kent. Nice to go into M10 with a good acceptance in hand!

I’m spending the last few days before M10 at my grandma’s place. I didn’t want to go, but now I feel so glad that I did. I was drawing some faces with some markers while watching Youtube. Later my grandma came over and she was so surprised about how well I drew. She went into a storytime about how when she was younger she always wanted to draw but never had the equipment and place to. (It was a war during that time) It really made me feel good because nobody in my family ever told me with sincerity that they liked what I drew, and she gave her genuine opinion on what she liked about it. Ughh grandma I love you