The Official M10 2021 Freakout Thread

Remember that the person who said this was their dad
they likely overestimated their kid’s ability
and there are probably parts of their application that are red flags

Also, what grade did he apply in?

He applied in 8th to be a 9th grader.

Groton is one of the hardest schools to get into - because of its small size. Any of the AOs will tell you they waitlist many kids who would thrive at Groton. There are too many kids and too few beds to sleep in. It has nothing to do with them not thinking a kid can thrive and everything to do with 20 kids who can thrive and 1 spot.

That’s why we tell kids and parents to cast a wide net because all schools fail to accept all the kids who will do well at their school.

5 Likes

I highly doubt this. Applications with red flags get rejected at schools with 12% admission rates, not waitlisted.

Please understand that kids who are capable and have great stats don’t get into their list of schools every single year. There just aren’t enough spots at the most popular schools.

5 Likes

Only 4 weeks left! It’s crazy how fast the time is going, but simultaneously, how slow it’s going

1 Like

yepp that pretty much sums it up

tomorrow’s the median day between january 15th and march 10th! we’re almost halfway there

1 Like

I keep imagining these different scenarios of how March 10th could turn out and I feel like I know I’ll get in at least one place but I can’t help but worry about how things might be if I don’t. I’ve been a lot more social these past few weeks and I’ve started to realize that I would probably be fine even if I don’t get in anywhere because I have a bunch of people that I know and love and support that I feel like even if I feel restricted and bored by the education (this is also probably enhanced by the fact that we’ve been virtual for a year now) I’ll be mostly okay. It’s also not that bad, so I always have the option to pursue things on my own, like I’ve done for the past three years.

Also I’m super tempted to just post a chance me just to see what other people think, but I feel like I already know what they would say and it would just be kinda pointless.

I’ve actually been working on starting a sustainable clothing shop just for fun while I wait for decisions. I learned to sew this past fall and I think selling things I make would be a fun way to learn new things and pass the time. What have you guys been doing?

I’ve been dancing, just like normal. I dance 20 hours a week, so that takes up a lot of time! I’ve also been volunteering a lot more. But I’ve also been watching a good amount of Netflix! Schitt’s Creek, Derry Girls, The Queen’s Gambit, and Gilmore Girls are my faves :stuck_out_tongue:

Oooooh nice!! Our family alternates between streaming platforms so we have Disney Plus at the moment but I love Gilmore Girls!! I’ve been wanting to watch the Queen’s Gambit too. I haven’t heard of Schitt’s Creek or Derry Girls though.

@ballet1210 Queen’s Gambit is sooooo good!

@mondaydevil I’ve been focusing more on school since the last week before application deadlines caused me to get slightly behind. I’m also reading much more, and watching some tv shows (currently mad men and Hell’s Kitchen lol). I opened an online store, so we’ll see how that goes, and am focusing on getting better at art. I’m also looking to start a bigger project of some sort, but I’m not sure what yet. I want to have something going on that will make me feel better/like I can actually accomplish stuff, before M10 so that if I’m rejected everywhere it won’t hurt as much. IDK if that makes many sense, but I want to have somewhere that I can focus my efforts/energy that’s fulfilling and can take my mind off things.

In terms of athletics, water polo and lacrosse were recently cleared to start, so hopefully those begin soon!

Oh yeah that definitely makes sense I get what you mean. Kinda like finding something to stabilize your self esteem or emotions or something like that. Either way, it makes sense!

What are you selling on your online store? What kind of art are you working on?

1 Like

I’m starting with Print on Demand, because there is a lot of info/tutorials on YouTube for that. I’m honestly not expecting great results, but it’s fun and a good experience. For art, I’m working on charcoal drawings. I’m decent at painting and love photography, but drawing is pretty new to me. I’ve tried pencil drawings, but I like using charcoal better because IMO it’s a more forgiving medium.
Your sustainable clothing shop sounds really cool! What platform are you using to sell things?

Oooh that’s awesome!

I’m planning on using Shopify, but I haven’t bought the domain or anything yet. I’m working on marketing and designing products before I buy the website to minimize the initial costs. I figured that if I figure out most of what I want to do, then quickly implement it to the website and launch, I’ll save some money? Rather than buying it and figuring it out on the way.

Yeah that sounds like a good strategy! Planning before you start is probably the best way to do it.

I’m starting on TeeSpring, because its free to use (no start up cost), but once I have things more figured out I am also planning on transferring over to Shopify. Shopify is subscription based (which you probably know), so I’m waiting until I’ve made enough on TeeSpring to cover Shopify costs for the first few months. I’m using an instagram account for marketing, because I think that’s the easiest way to reach people for free. I’m planning on starting an email list once I get things going a bit more. How are you marketing?

Oh nice! My school student council uses TeeSpring for our spirit wear so that’s pretty cool.

I’m using Instagram as well and probably TikTok too. I was thinking about starting a YouTube channel for behind the scenes and things like that but it’s really saturated, difficult to grow, and I didn’t think it would be worth the amount of time it takes to actually produce content (compared to Instagram and Tiktok, where a month worth of content can be made in a few hours)

I was thinking about making an email newsletter too but I think I would have to buy G suite or another email hosting service for that and I’m still trying to decide if I want to use it or not. Pro, it goes out to everyone who’s signed up, unlike social media posts, but con, it’s another cost and I feel like not as many people actually read promotional emails these days.

Yeah, I agree about YouTube. It’s hard to get in on a market that’s already really established/saturated and takes a lot of time. IMO TikTok and insta are better for promotional stuff.

These past few days, I’ve been doing my usual activities. I’ve pretty much been inundated with work this week, and things haven’t been going quite as well for reasons that I won’t share.

On the bright side though, I’ve been working on my skiing technique, and I’ve been improving :smiley:. I’ve also been working on violin and piano. My school has February Vacation, so I definitely look forward to that!

Skiing!!! That’s awesome!! Our school skiing program was closed this winter but that’s awesome that you’ve been working and improving! Are you just going on your own?

We have February Vacation toooo yayyy I can’t wait for it. Honestly school is really tedious and repetitive right now and I can’t wait until I can work on things I enjoy full time (even if it’s only for a week)

I’m going skiing for the first time next weekend! I’m so excited but we’ll see how this goes lol. Any advice for a first timer?? Also should I ski or snowboard? I feel like I’d be better at snowboarding because I can wakeboard, surf, skateboard, and ripstik lol.