The Official M10 2021 Freakout Thread

Congratulations!!! Did you see it on the portal? We don’t have anything yet.

Congratulations!!!

congrats!

We logged into the portal with the old email. It is on the right side.

But I am apparently a computer wiz because I have both Groton results AND a vaccine appointment.

3 Likes

lol too funny. Congratulations!!

I still can’t see anything for Groton… where to look?

We can’t either and we logged in again

Did you get merch yet?

Not from Groton.

WL Groton

I still can’t see anything…

For some reason, I still can’t see the link? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Me.

nice! congrats!!

same Groton waitlisted

1 Like

Ah yes, Wyoming Seminary. I’m so sorry I don’t know how I got the name wrong! I also for some reason completely skipped over the fact that it says seminary but thank you for confirming that it’s not an actual seminary. What did your cousins think? Did they enjoy their time there? I’ve done some research on it and it seems like a good school!

Hello freakouters. Congrats to everyone that got into one of these amazing schools. The fact everyone here is taking charge to optimize their education bodes extremely well for all aspects of life.

I hope I’m not blowing sunshine when I say to the completely waitlisted/rejected folks: it took us two years and I hope you try again. In particular, @nonbinarywood. My daughter had extremely similar numbers and experiences (music, CTY, deep foreign language loves, SSATs) as yours - down to the same single B on Algebra II. We felt exactly your pain and it @#$@ing stinks. We’ll never meet but I’m deeply rooting for you and will check back in a year with fingers crossed. In our second year, we applied to more schools, and in retrospect the slightly higher polish or demonstrated interest from doing it twice made a difference. She wound up at Hotchkiss, and got into some other great places. (There was still an annoying heap of repeat waitlisting from the we-loved-her-sooo-close-last-year-this-is-the-year-for-her wink wink AO goo dishers to go with the acceptances.)

She has had an amazing year despite the pandemic. The pain was worth it. Thank you Hotchkiss! In the end, maybe we just got lucky and all I’m writing is BS. (BTW they were a flat reject in the first try.) Having done one year at an underwhelming public high school maybe makes her appreciate it all the more.

Two observations now I feel confident in after a year at a school with friends elsewhere that I wish I knew before round one, and certainly before round two:

The paltry admission rates you’re seeing are not only ridiculously low as stated, but are in my mind inflated (!) Accounting for faculty children, alumni connections including older siblings, children of sitting US Senators, etc, the real admission rate for highly talented, good but unhooked CC denizens is substantially lower. These hooked-admitted kids aren’t slouches - they will succeed and contribute at these schools too. It’s not a cabal hostile to outsiders, but it is a thumb heavier on the scale than we appreciated. I’m really ballparking here and just choosing the last name I read but I don’t think Groton has really has 90 spots up for grabs in their class of '25. I think it’s probably more like 60. ~70k kids take the SSAT. So 2800+ of them are 96% or higher and they all got straight As with a B or two as well and a ton of them apply to Groton - who will tell as many of them as possible to apply despite vanishingly small chances. So slice from the public numbers accordingly. Go Wide in your apps!

Interviews & age: I don’t think the interviewers are just checking for mystical “fit” or some differentiating insight into the kids. I think that’s fatuous. How much can you tell in 30 minutes especially over Zoom, other than cull out obviously bad eggs? I think they’re checking for maturity alone, highly correlated to age. People re-applying should think about applying again for their 9th grade year. That extra year is an enormous cushion of prospective maturity, a safety net for the admissions offices. Many super bright SSAT smashers have been grade-accelerated or started school early. This is an enormous but often unspoken disadvantage. My daughter resisted applying as a 9th grader but if we knew now how freak’n good the school wound up being that would not have been as big of an issue. If you were on the younger side, strongly consider a repeat. There is no shame in it. St. Paul’s (to their credit) expressly said this and we ignored it. Groton hinted the same strongly. I don’t think they really consider you for two grades as one other peer school said they would.

I hope this encouragement is useful, and advice accurate. All of your assiduous dedication to this process by being on CC gives you your own legs up. I hope you exercise those legs again, good luck next year.

15 Likes

First time applying Bs, Groton waitlisted us… I feel like having a spot open up for 8th grade is nearly impossible…pretty upset…

1 Like

OH MY GOD I JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE PACKAGE FROM EXETER - it just makes everything more real!! There’s a signed letter, a handwritten card, STICKERS, a CAMPUS MAP, and a courses of instruction booklet for the 2021-22 year!! This is the happiest day of my life!

8 Likes

Hi. I am new here. My daughter got acceptance from George School which is good news. However, on the acceptance letter it says she was being accepted as a ‘Boarding Student’ but what we applied for was a ‘Day Student’. Do you have any advice on how to go about this with the school?
Thank you.

1 Like