The Official M10 2023 Freakout Thread

What do I say if I reach out to a coach about a sport? I play starter for my school’s varsity soccer, a member of my city’s A team, and middle school division 1 most valuable player (coach’s choice).

1 Like

My daughter is a runner, so she did an initial greeting, explained who she was/grade applying for/etc. Then, she laid out her best XC and track times in her various events and general awards/level of competition completed (Junior Olympic Nationals, etc). Then, she concluded with a few questions about the sport as it is run at that school - for her, how much mileage are runners doing per week, is there a summer training program in place, how are new students acclimated to the team, etc.

Editing to add: She heard back from almost every coach and they were all impressed/complimentary about her times and skill level and said they thought she would make an excellent addition to the teams. A few told her to keep in touch after she had submitted her applications.

2 Likes

It can’t hurt, and might help. They might want to see video of you playing, but if you don’t have any it’s not a big deal. Good luck!

The two posts above are great. I just want to add that videos will be very helpful if you can’t meet the coach in person. Soccer for example is very different from swimming. For swimming you can mention your best times, and for swimmers in the US the times are publicly available through USA swimming. For soccer or volleyball or other team events you have to show how good you are unless you are on the winning team of very high level tournaments. If you don’t have videos of matches, you can record practices and send it over to show your skills. I’m sure many players did during Covid when tournaments were canceled. We did.

You can make your YouTube link private. And only the coach can see.

My list is

Berkshire
Nmh
Proctor

2 Likes

Love seeing another Proctor applicant!

1 Like

Do the school also let you know if you are rejected
or only if you get in?
Thanks

2 Likes

im sure you get some kind of notification
i think some of those are seen through portal?
like there are some that just email acceptances but for the ones where you check your results via portal im sure they will show if its reject or waitlist or accepted

but i mean its still january!

Most schools send decisions via a portal, where you will open a letter telling you if you were admitted, waitlisted, or rejected.

WOOT! Daughter has submitted and finalized all pieces of all six applications! Interviews completed. Now we just wait until March!

Edited to add: spoke too soon! We just noticed the little text in the corner when you open up a school’s section in the SAO that has “special instructions”. One of her schools says that students must submit an attendance record with their transcripts. Sigh. At least we saw this before 1/15!

5 Likes

Yup. There are also some schools however which make the results very plainly clear in the subject of the email. Kind of like the old ‘fat envelope vs skinny envelope’ thing from back in the day.

i hope the schools i applied to are like that
heading of “congratulations” would be so nice

Okay. NOW everything is in! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Almost felt like those infomercials with the guy that says, “BUT WAIT…THERE’S MORE!” :melting_face: those “your application is submitted” screens are like hearing angels sing. Big sigh, it’s done!

Now we wait :sob:

3 Likes

Yes! That’s it exactly! Feels so good to just have her be able to put all that aside. Audition materials for the spring musical just came out yesterday as well, so now she gets to move on to rehearsing monologues and a song for her audition.

Congrats to your son on getting everything in!

2 Likes

do those appear only after your school sends last semester’s grades

Do what appear?

the your application is submitted
or your application is complete

When you get everything submitted your portal should say something like “your application has been submitted”, “your application is now completed”, things like that. I believe he even got email notifications from each school saying that everything is done and they have it all. You should be able to see your progress for any school through their portal, or Gateway and SAO. When you get everything turned in you should know.

Don’t the schools you are applying to have a portal with what materials are required for applying and what is submitted and what still needs to get there?

Nevermind you’re not understanding my question.
because some schools give me the, application submitted before I submit current grades, and some dont.

As for that last question the obvious answer is yes -_-

1 Like