The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

Has he looked at Hartt?

@SpartanDrew - here is a sort of recent acceptance thread that might give an idea of some dates:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19690248/#Comment_19690248

@NYCMusicDad Thatā€™s the way to start the acceptance season - go big or go home! Congrats!

@NYCMusicDad congrats!!!

@akapiratequeen We are in Oberlin now! Audition tomorrow. And my daughter who went into this thinking she would hate Oberlin is actually loving it. Problem is they are only taking 2 out of about 40 applicants

@GoForth thanks you. That takes some of the guess work out of it. Most are mid to end of March, but it looks like itā€™ll pretty much be April before we hear from Peabody

@SpartanDrew - thanks for the tip. Yes - we were pleasantly surprised with the new female jazz scholarship and she applied for it. I didnā€™t want to announce it to the world until her tape was inā€¦but itā€™s now done and dusted. I LOVE that Berklee is doing something for females in jazz - the are a definite minority and need support. Our daughter was one of the only females at Stanford Jazz Institute last summer and had her fair share of being propositioned. I suspect that some teen boys were away from home and decided they were going to go for it. They were very direct with our daughter who rebuffed them - but it did make her feel uncomfortable. I mentioned it to Stanford but didnā€™t make a huge deal about it but it did make me realize that it is a male dominated field.

tripletmama, this is a big problem that no one talks about ā€¦

@tripletmama Iā€™m so glad she applied for that one! Fingers crossed for her. My D asked at Frost how many female instrumentalists there were and they said ā€œoneā€. I think she asked a student she met at NEC and there were more but it was funny, he counted them all off by name. I imagine he couldnā€™t have done that with the guys. That new Berklee scholarship is great. I hope it draws more women into instrumental jazz although it didnā€™t say it was specifically for jazz, just music in general.

@tripletmama and @SpartanDrew you are both so right. There are very few female instruments jazz musicians in high school all county and all state levels, and even fewer in colleges. My three boys all played jazz (one for the high school all nationa jazzl) and although my daughter did, it was only for a few years (although relocating to place where there was no time in her schedule was a big part of it). My boys used to pretend to be chauvenistic and say ā€œgirls canā€™t play jazzā€ but from a serous perspective I have often wondered why it is such a male dominated part of music

And finally we are done!!! And personally I have finished 10 years of college music auditions. Lying on a hotel bed never felt so good!!!

NYsaxmom - Whew! You deserve a medal - no, make that a trophy - the heck with that - make it a month in Bora Bora in one of those over the water cabana huts.

Maybe if you write that book - you can make that happen. God knows there are so many music parents who need tips on how to survive. 10 years is a looooooooong time.

@tripletmama how did you know staying in one of those huts over water in Bora Bora was on my bucket list???

And I donā€™t know if any of your kids applied to NEC. I think their results are out. One of my daughterā€™s friends (used to be at her HS but went to Interlochen for senior year) was just accepted. Of course heā€™s an instrumentalist (oboe)

I donā€™t think NEC is out yet. At least not for jazz. They are typically one of the last schools to notify. We donā€™t expect to hear until the last week of March. If you look back over the past couple years on the acceptance threads youā€™ll see those dates.

Last year, NEC accepted my D on 4/1. But she was part of the dual degree program with Tufts (who accepted her on 3/31), so her NEC notification date may have been later than other studentsā€™ dates.

I guess itā€™s just the oboes that know

Congratulations FLClarinetMom (aka #NYsaxmom )and D on finishing audition season(s)!

To quote Irene Cara, What a Feeling!

Fingers crossed for March Madness, for everyone.

Is everybody done with auditions now?!? Hooray, you all made it! Every Thursday-Friday in March are best set aside for moderate drinking, plus portal and mailman watching. And Spring Breaksā€¦seriously? Is it necessary for each college to have a Spring Break (during a different week in March, no less)? Get ready for all the gear in the mail inside those big envelopes. Itā€™s such an exciting time! Hang on for the ride, guys!!! Iā€™m truly excited for all of you and your incredibly talented offspring.
PSA: you may have already noticed that many schools send out decisions via email or portal just before (or even after) their offices close on Fridays. Sometimes the Friday before breakā€¦

Oooooh do tell @dramasopranomom!!! Gear inside big envelopes??? I asked Karen Kerr where we could get a Frost school of music shirt and she kind of smiled and suggested that stuff would come to kids admitted or something to that affect. Anyway thatā€™s how I took it. Do you have scoop on notifications? D got a personal phone call from head of jazz studies at William Paterson last week. He called every kid that was admitted. What an awesome and classy touch. I have been ā€œportal watchingā€ like nobodies business. Itā€™s making me batty and itā€™s only March 4th! Aaaack!!!

On a lighter note, D is in Memphis barely sleeping this weekend on a reunion with her Grammy Camp band! What an absolutely awesome way to put a cherry on top of all of her auditions. They are literally sleeping in the studio all weekend long and up jamming and recording new music until the wee hours. Ahhh youth. I turn into a pumpkin long before midnight. The President of the Memphis chapter of the Grammy Foundation came by last night to meet them and talk to them. So cool. She is going to hate coming home on Monday and going back to the drudgery of high school. She is ready to get to college and be able to connect with musicians of this caliber on a daily basis, something that she has never had at her high school.

March Madness takes on a whole new meaning for parents of high school musician seniors as well as the seniors themselves. I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting for the news to arrive. Hopefully good news!