The Tours, The Journey and the Decisions moving forward

A scenario that I have seen quite a few times has not been mentioned: talented kids sometimes just want to go out and do their gigs. It used to be a badge of honor to leave Berklee and staying meant you didn’t have enough talent to leave early. Clearly that has changed, but still, I do know a few kids who left so they could perform and not study and they felt ready.

Another scenario that is important to think about is uskookfish’s example above of the theater/music/art kid who is thinking about “real” employment. There should be no discouragement about school at any level because kids with bachelor’s in the arts have many options in and out of their discipline when they graduate. I know a trombone player who is working for Sesame Street as an executive at 30. Many examples. It is okay to do what you love in school for 4 years even if it is not leading to a definite career path. Things will work out.

ps a kid transferring from Tufts/NEC may want everything on one campus; but also if switching to composition, Oberlin represents a particular kind of atmosphere and aesthetic in that area.

@uskoolfish - That is quite a post. S and the family have talked about that topic before and have considered the slim lifestyle that may accompany music performance for a short or long while. I believe S is accepting of that scenario. I can see what you mean about the parallel lifestyle in college that can then take a sharp departure. Although, as compmom mentions, you are coming away with a Bx degree, too.

I tried to edit my original post earlier, but it didn’t take… I just want to add that I know that all of these kids are soooo talented that they have many, many other options, so I’m not afraid they are dropping out of college in the regular sense. I appreciate all of your input and agree with everything everyone has said. I thought this issue worth mentioning because honestly, it was not something I really thought of as a possibility at this point last year! A few thoughts:

*getting accepted is just the beginning.

freshman year is hard…the social adjustments are hard, academics can be surprisingly hard ( @bridgenail the sight singing!!)… and every single one of the young women I’m talking about HAD been to long summer festivals ( @NYCMusicDad, we invested in summer programs too, and for the same reasons, and I DO think it gives a preview of college intensity, etc). Obviously, everything *music is more intense!

*maybe the fact that many of these kids do have so many options is part of the reason they leave? ( @BassTheatreMom )

I just wanted to hear all your views about this, and in part remind us all that there are many different paths; a detour or change along the way, and failure (which is a normal part of life and art), are not a death knell. And in case anyone is wondering, my D is extremely happy and feels enormously fortunate to be right where she is, and so long as she can continue to make the cut, she’s staying where she is!

@vistajay That is one of our favorite shows! Waiting for the next season.

A few thoughts, as I sit here stewing waiting for financial aid packages…

My D did not audition for top conservatories. Her teacher, a working opera singer at a famous company, wanted her auditioning at Eastman. D said no - she wants to do things other than sing. She likes arranging music and playing a few band instruments, likes musical theater although her voice is meant for Mozart. She knew Eastman was not for her, even if she was lucky enough to get in. I wonder if the female singers switching programs are having a similar experience? Wanting to do something other than sing?

So here we are - D has been lucky enough to get accepted everywhere she auditioned, with good scholarship packages from the schools we have heard from - and I still wonder if she should have cast a wider net, aimed a little higher - but we are limited in what we can afford, she needs the scholarships.

Her second guessing started in December - maybe she should have auditioned for musical theater programs instead? (It was honestly too late) Big school or small school? BA or BM? This is a stressful time. We have scheduled an overnight at a top choice nearby, but it will not be an option without a big scholarship.

Any other suggestions for making the decision? D said today she can always transfer, but that limits the scholarship opportunities that she needs.

i think I need wine.

If she feels regrets about not having gone on the MT audition circuit, I suggest you peruse the thread in the MT forum with a similar title to this one.

Go with your gut is always a good guiding principle. Fit has many facets to it. But I’ve come to believe that if you’re lucky enough to have several acceptances, you’ve very likely got more than one option that would work out well. You’re going somewhere for four years, not getting married.

Forgot to add, D found out today she’s musically admitted to CMU, pending academic review, but based on my conversation with the admissions director, I think it’s remote she’d get dinged academically, so I’m putting it in the “in” column. Maybe if she goes there she can meet Connor Lamb.

The senior year questioning scenario I described is harsh, but very real. Our children think they know what their lives will be like, until they are actually living it. Pursuing their art will be a juggling act and include a lot of ups and downs. Many are undaunted and cannot see themselves doing anything else. Others need to re-group and take the skills they have learned and the talent they have to create a new path.

As parents, we have to leave these decisions to them. Often we might be as torn as our kids in terms of the right path. Give up music and theatre after all these years of preparation? Go for a “real job” because that’s what everyone else does?

In my D’s case, she decided senior year to pursue the business end of music and theatre. She wanted stability and wanted to be able to be financially independent. She didn’t want to be on the road. She didn’t want to constantly audition and not know where she’d be in 6 months. So she has worked in NYC in casting, talent management and for a top agency in their theatre department. She is now more focused on marketing and development and is back at NYU pursuing her MBA. She still sings–she’s back with her old voice teacher from NYU. She feels this is what she wants for now–but she still says she can see herself auditioning as a character actor when she is older and doesn’t have to rely on low-paying jobs to earn money.

@cgmndt I was just looking yesterday to see if there was a thread on “how to make the choice when all the results come in”. Couldn’t find it. For us, like no doubt most of you, it will come down to $$$. But how much more is a “name” worth?? My daughter has a big scholarship to a great school but not as well known as some. But how much is it worth paying for a theoretically “better” music school?? I have read that relationship with the prof is most important for undergrad, and the “big name” is more important for grad school. But then I’ve also heard that is you go to a big name school you are more likely to get your break without grad school. So what is true??? Does anyone really know?
I have also been concerned about retention rate. And that fact that most money our kids get is linked to music, so a change in major or change in school means they lose that. And I speak from experience. I have 4 kids who went in as music majors but 2 switched.
I personally have no answers. I wish I did! Then I would know what to do for my daughter. For now, I am trying to be patient, but trying to keep the distractions going!
And on the Frost results theme… I don’t think they have sent out notifications yet. Firstly it’s their spring break this week. Secondly, my son went there and I seem to remember it was the third week of March when he found out. Thirdly, I am on a UM closed FB page, and there has been no murmurings there
Stay strong everyone!!! (As I laugh at myself, as I am far from strong!!!)

Hi my son has been accepted to U of Michigan and Berklee composition program. We are still waiting to hear from USC, Northwestern, Peabody, and NYU. He is leaning towards Michigan and USC. He is interested in composition of orchestra music and possibly one day movie scoring . He, however wants to continue to take saxophone classes and possible double major on Jazz studies while in music school, but his primary goal is composition. Any advise about which of these schools may be best for him? We are definitely very happy that he has been accepted to 2 very good programs.
Thanks

Check this out but I think there is automatic admission to USCs grad program in film scoring, which is top notch, for those doing undergrad composition there. All great schools! A lot of composition work is NOT orchestral of course: for one, it can be hard to get an orchestral work played.

@uskoolfish I think your daughter’s situation sounds fantastic. It seems as if she really got in touch with her wants and meshed them well with her talents. Brava! And she is continuing to develop her singing. After experiencing some twists, my D expressed “I have to follow the road as it unfolds in front of me; there is no one path”, and I think it’s true.

@uskoolfish - your daughter sounds very astute. She wanted stability and she’s going for it. I would think that staying in the music world feeds her soul while paying the bills. I’m hoping that our daughter begins to understand the reality of being on “tour” in June when she does it for two weeks with 4 kind of gruff and somewhat crude guys. I have a feeling she is in for rude awakening. So far, they have cancelled rehearsals twice without much notice which is driving her to distraction.

@Beta884 - such an amazing path that your son is going for! How did he get interested in movie scoring in high school? Our daughter’s dream school is Berklee but she hasn’t visited any schools yet (she’s only a junior in HS). Please keep us posted. Did your son go to the summer Berklee program? Our daughter is hoping to go this summer to kick the tires. I have no idea which school is best for composition - but I’m sure that the astute parents on this forum will give you some guidance. USC would seem to offer the best of all worlds. Our daughter is in LA right now and is loving the music scene. She actually got a fake ID just to go to the jazz clubs where her instructor plays. :slight_smile:

One question - you all seem to be very keen to get results from Frost (sorry they are making you wait…) It seems to be a parent favorite - why is that? (scholarships? instruction? A nice place to visit your student?)

In general the contemporary classical world is not at all focused on film scoring . And some programs on fiilm-scoring are for grads only (likeUSC) on the idea that undergrad is foundational . A high schooler who wants to do film scoring may also mature into a composer who does other things: electro acoustic work, installation work, many directions to go in. There is film scoring at Berklee but would add that the merger with Boston Conservatory may expand options for Berklee students as well. Northwestern has a progressive composition department. Assuming your son has listened to faculty works at all these schools. The dominant aesthetic may or may not be relevant to undergrad but it is worth listening.

In saner moments, D has said she can always switch from vocal performance to MT (Chenoweth, Audra McDonald) but it is much harder to go from MT to classical. I think a BM is vocal performance is a good fit for her, as do the professors she has sung for. Baldwin Wallace did NOT ask her to audition for musical theater as well as opera - that is probably a good indicator of her strengths. And how excited she was to receive a 9 min aria in voice lessons last week. Ultimately it is her decision, and she can change her mind.

If performing is not her future, and as parents of music majors we need to be realistic about the chances, she would be happy music directing musicals, arranging vocal and band charts, giving lessons, judging competitions, being a chorus-master - as long as it is music. Here’s hoping for some big scholarship envelopes soon

Well another week with no news… :-((

D received this email last night:

"I was informed that you will be receiving a good sized scholarship should you choose to study at CU. I can’t give you the details yet because I was asked by the Dean to not do so. You will be sent a letter in early April with all the details.

Please keep me posted as to what you are thinking after receiving our offer."

Trying not to read anything into it but frustrated that we have to wait almost 3 more weeks for a letter to come in the mail when they KNOW what they’re going to offer her now.

UGHHHH!!! Well at least you know a “good sized scholarship” is coming! I wish we had an email like that right now. But I feel your pain believe me. D knows she is getting some sort of scholarship from WP but so far nothing has shown up. Snail mail and email have been crickets all week.

@oboemom65 , congratulations to your D! This is an email I would definitely respond to, and in detail. I think they are fishing for how likely it is your D will attend, and perhaps where the financial situation with other offers stand; they clearly do not want her to commit elsewhere before she gets their offer. This may be one of those “if we offer your D the money and she doesn’t take it, we lose it” situations? I would proceed with these things in mind!

@SpartanDrew it’s still early for a Friday in March! Take heart, the day is young!!!