The tuition -> Why so much $$, so little in scholarship?

<p>So my D got into a few schools - her fav is CCPA but the price tag - yikes. And they gave very little in scholarship $$ compared to the others. Is that typical??? Why so pricy compare to some of the others? I think CCPA looks great, but it doesn’t have the same reputation as the other big ticket schools IMO. Am I right? I so want her to go but I’m having a hard time justifying the price. Anyone else in this boat? </p>

<p>I have found that the state schools have offered far less than the private schools. Is that not what you’re finding?</p>

<p>Totally found that to be true with the exception of this school. That’s what I can’t understand? D got lots of $$ at other schools… one offered her $30K but of course that’s not the school she wants. She wants this one… the one that costs much more and offered almost nothing. If the instructors are fabulous and it’s worth it… well then I guess it’s worth it? Or is it? </p>

<p>It’s a hard call. Our S wants to go there in the worst way and ultimately wants to live in Chicago. So it does make sense for him go to school there. But I know what you mean about cost…ouch. We’re trying to figure it out. It’s clear across the country so we have to add travel expenses as well. </p>

<p>I believe the issue is that there is much less money available for CCPA scholarships because of the mission of Roosevelt University in general. The philosophy of the school is to give an opportunity to lower income students from families who haven’t sent kids to college before to attend a 4 year, traditional school. Therefore merit and need-based money is used by more students in the non-performing arts than at other colleges. Talent awards are all that are available to CCPA kids, and those are smaller.</p>

<p>My D was offered significant merit money at other schools based on grades/SAT scores, but only a smaller talent award was offered by CCPA. Of course this is where she wanted to go! ;-)</p>

<p>I know that doesn’t help you financially, but maybe that will help you understand the reason behind it the lack of money offered.</p>

<p>And BTW, D loves CCPA. The quality of the teaching, the family-like, nurturing atmosphere, the curriculum, the opportunities available to theatre kids in Chicago both to see shows and internships, etc. and just the excitement of living there.</p>

<p>Makes sense, and good to know, thank so much! What I’m worried about is we have several children we have to put through college … CCPA’s price tag is more than my husband and I can agree to pay so D will have to take out loans. Once she graduates, she’s a starving artist. How the heck can she pay those back? I believe she has crazy talent and I want her to follow her dreams… but the practical side of me wants to say, wouldn’t you rather become a nurse? </p>

<p>Hey, I know! You are preachin’ to the choir here on the MT forum!</p>

<p>I do recommend talking to them about increasing your D’s award. It doesn’t hurt to ask!</p>

<p>austinmt, do you know if there is money available for work study? We’re hoping that might help a little. We were so impressed with the school, the faculty and the kids that we would love for S to have this opportunity. </p>

<p>Yes, if you qualify on your FAFSA form for work study, they have it at CCPA. My son has been working in the set construction shop both terms, pretty much maxing out his hours every week (up to 10). He is learning a lot about set design and construction and his boss there has become kind of a mentor. He is also covering most of his incidental expenses – books, make-up (for stage make-up class, I feel like I should specify), theater tickets, headshots and audition fees (for ITA combined auditions), the occasional pizza – out of his paycheck. We also found that the “additional expenses” outside of room, board and tuition are not as high as CCPA estimates. And one more thing, a lot of the kids move off-campus sophomore year, which can save a good bit of money. </p>

<p>We were exactly where you are last year, freaking out about money, but it’s working out, more or less, and the training and connections they get at CCPA are really something. </p>

<p>Thanks Jkelynh17! Very helpful. Is there anything your son doesn’t like the program? Any regrets? Does he mind that he’s missing out on a traditional “college” experience - football games, greek life etc. What my D wants most is to be challenged - she wants to get into a program where she is the worst - so she can grow and learn - has your son found the program challenging? </p>

<p>Does he live in Wabash? My D was told to pay the extra $$ to live in Wabash. And yes - I think moving off campus as a Sophomore is the way to go for sure. </p>

<p>I did mind, at first, that he was not in a traditional college program, but he is so happy, it’s hard to regret anything. He is very challenged in his acting/theater classes. He is, by nature, a hard worker, and he is working about as hard as he ever has. The general ed classes are a bit of a joke, but there are not very many of them. He does live in Wabash, and I’m glad he did that for his first year, because he’s made a lot of friends. You’re technically not supposed to be able to move off campus until you’re 21, but there are lots of ways to work around this. (your daughter will learn about this stuff from the older kids.) </p>

<p>Let see, minor quibbles…the food at Wabash is expensive and not good, he would like to find someone he could run with (theater kids are not generally that athletic, at least not in an endurance sports sense) and the weather, but this has been a really great year for him, and I wouldn’t change a thing. </p>

<p>Tell your S to keep running!!! One of my daughter’s friends is now working on Broadway - we recently met up with him in NYC and he said he’s so thankful he worked out all through college - doing all those shows every week is a test of endurance! Thanks for your help with CCPA - I’ll be so glad once a decision is made and we can move on … I thought the audition process would be the most stressful, but I think this time of indecision is the actually the worst! </p>

<p>Yes, I think he is running, but by himself. He just missed all-state in XC (and was state ranked in XC skiing), so he’s looking for someone who can run pretty fast (and he is NOT in the kind of shape he was in high school, but who is?). The money part is awful, I agree. It may seem like small potatoes, but you really should look for as many local/arts scholarships as you can find. Every bit helps. </p>

<p>Jkellynh17 - my daughter is a runner too; though won’t be as fast as your son. She runs hurdles and did steeplechase. Does the school have a gym where he could run on a treadmill in bad weather?</p>

<p>@BethsMom, yes there is a gym in Wabash, so they don’t even have to go outside. Also, in nice weather, the Lake Trail is beautiful and runs for at least 10 miles in both directions. Steeplechase, how cool. This is my first year not helping out with the middle school track program at our school, so I know hurdles, but we don’t have steeplechase. S did 300 hurdles for a little bit, but he was mostly a distance guy. </p>