The UC Transfer System

Hi, I have a question that I can’t find anywhere else, so I decided I’d ask it here. UCSD is my dream school (I live in San Diego), but I don’t have the grades to get in. I really would hate to go to a community college but I know that UCs let community college transfers really easily. I was wondering if it’s required to transfer from a community college or if I could do the same transfer program from another in-state school, like SDSU, USD, UCSC, or Cal Poly SLO.

Thanks in advance.

bump

From a California community college, you will know what courses will be counted as equivalent to UCSD courses via http://www.assist.org , and you have the option of fulfilling general education requirements for most UCs and CSUs with the IGETC pattern (though some majors or divisions at some UCs do not accept IGETC, or accept it for only part of their general education requirements).

I know I can do that through community college, but can I do it transfer from a different university with the same rules?

The California junior college system was established around 1915. Both Stanford and Cal helped design it, established a transfer path and over time thousands of California residents completed their last 2 years at UC’s. Even very talented students were able to complete their education at a much lower cost through that path. That means that you will know exactly which courses transfer, what GPA you will need, and a certain number of spots will be reserved every year for CC transfers.

That is not the case with other universities. Course equivalents are not always established, and you may not receive full credit (or any). In addition, you get thrown into the general transfer pool and the spots available will vary year to year. Transferring from the Cal State system, for example, is not encouraged.

Thanks for clearing that up. I want to do the transfer but where I live it’s shameful to go through the CC system…