The University of Alabama Autism Spectrum Disorders College Transition and Support (UA-ACTS)

Does anyone have experience with the ACTS Program? S#2 has high function autism. He is very bright and will self advocate for anything academic but he really struggles socially. Our concern is he will go to his classes, do his work, and stay in his dorm room. The program sounds like exactly what he needs but we are concerned about sending him so far away from home and to such a large University.

1 Like

I hope someone chimes in with personal experience. Ive only heard good things from parents, but no personal experience.

@mom2collegekids thank you so much for responding! I hope someone else chimes in too. We are looking to plan a visit over our spring break at the end of March. I am going to try to see if we can arrange to meet with some current students involved in the program. It looks like the University has a full day program for prospective students on March 25th called “University Days”. I am wondering if might be too overwhelming for my son to go that day but it sounds like a great program. I think I will put a call into the UA-ACTS office and see if what advice they have about it.

Hi! I’m also looking for someone with personal experience with UA-ACTS!

Hi LaceyLou, We are going to visit Alabama for the University Day this Monday We decided the full day program was too much so we will participate until 1:30pm and then we will go meet with the head of UA-ACTS program at 2pm. I am hoping we also might have the opportunity to connect with s student in the program. If you have any specific questions let me know and I can ask her. This will be our third school visit to schools with strong social programs for students with autism so after our visit we should have a better idea of what would be the best fit.

2 Likes

Hello, It’s been a bit; but I was wondering what you thought of the ACTS program. Currently our daughter is looking at the ASPIRE program at SJU, the Raven’s Scholar Program at University of Idaho and the 4+1 Master’s program at St Mary’s College (with new mentorship program). Would love to learn more about where you visited. We live in Alaska…so anywhere is quite far. Thank you!

Hi Tustumena, I would be happy to connect with you to talk about the programs we looked at and our thoughts on the ACTS program. We had reservations about some of the program requirements being too much for our son. He is now a freshman at University of Denver and doing very well! The support program there is called LEP.

1 Like

Did you every find out more about University of Alabama program? I would love to find a summer program for my high school junior.