Things Our Freshman Brought and Didn't Use - Male Edition

<p>We’ve been discussing our move out plan and what we are going to store vs. bring home. Thought it might be helpful for the new UA parents if we were to post a list of things we brought for our boys in the fall that were not needed/used this year:</p>

<p>Spare set of sheets
Bleach
Iron
Ironing Board
Clothes Steamer
Most cleaning products
Most every textbook (both semesters, everything needed is online)
“Do Not Disturb” door sign made for boy who swore he’d have female company this year</p>

<p>I’m sure we’ll add to this list next week. Sigh.</p>

<p>Comforter
Extra Blanket</p>

<p>Camera</p>

<p>Binoculars</p>

<p>Bucket</p>

<p>Ice trays</p>

<p>First aid kit</p>

<p>Over the counter medicines-like cough syrup, pepto bismol</p>

<p>"“Do Not Disturb” door sign made for boy who swore he’d have female company this year"</p>

<p>hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!</p>

<p>Waterproof backpack cover</p>

<p>Too funny! I can add, the fancy write-on white board/calendar with color-coded pen set…I fully expect it to still say October, as that was the last time I visited (and changed the month for him).</p>

<p>TOO TOO FUNNY! Can’t wait to be in T-Town next Friday!</p>

<p>clothes hangers.</p>

<p>…Febreze</p>

<p>Cookie sheet, spatula and hot pads. I was sure he would make cookies. Didn’t happen.</p>

<p>I’m hoping they’ve gotten some use since then, but earlier this year when Tuscaloosa was being deluged with rain, I asked D if her new rain boots were getting a workout. The answer: No, I haven’t worn them, but my shoes are getting really wet. Sigh.</p>

<p>So he doesn’t need the waterproof backpack cover? That seemed like it would be a good idea. What if they have their laptop with them and it starts to pour??</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure he won’t wear boots so I’m not worried about his feet. :)</p>

<p>Actually fabreeze was really really useful. First aid kits generally not needed - your floormates will have all the extra stuff you probably think you’ll need honestly. </p>

<p>As a college student, I think it would be helpful for parents to give them a budget and literally stick to just that. SO they can’t spend it on things they don’t need because you won’t be giving them more.</p>

<p>I also found online shopping helpful, I’d skype with my parents and we’d find deals, order them (FROM MY DORM so I can see what is actually needed) and not waste time at the Target lines.</p>

<p>^^ OH, they NEED all these things we mention…they just don’t use them! ;)</p>

<p>Of the items listed above, our son did use:
the first aid kit
over the counter medications
text books
write-on white board/calendar with color-coded pen set (at least last year, not sure this year)</p>

<p>Most of the other stuff above he didn’t have in the first place but I can say that he didn’t use any of the cleaning supplies that we left hiim, at least not that I could tell ;-). Still nice to have it there when we moved him out.</p>

<p>my son used first aid kit and OTC meds too. I was glad he was stocked up on thoses. Especialy cold and allergy meds.</p>

<p>I sent my son with a few plates, cups, silverware, and some paper plates thinking that if he cooked anything it would be in the microwave and that would be all he needed.</p>

<p>He got in a ‘baking mood’ mid-year and on his own, with his own money, went out and purchased baking supplies so he could bake brownies. He later purchased more baking supplies. Not certain what he decided to make then. </p>

<p>I’m sure he’s popular on his floor. :)</p>

<p>Re actually using hard textbooks, I think this is a personal thing, and also related to different classes. ALL math and eng’g coursework seemed to be handled perfectly online. We learned the hard way 1st semester (by spending lots of money ahead of time on hard textbooks, albeit at “bargain” prices from textbook.com and abebooks online), that he really needed to wait until the class started to order exactly what he needed. Some kids like to highlight the dickens out of books as they read, so they prefer a hard textbook. If you don’t have one of these kids (and who knows, because no one highlights textbooks in high school, right?), my + S’ advice would be to wait until the class starts before purchasing textbooks.</p>

<p>Yes they need it all, they just won’t admit it. I get a text now and again about how he needed some random thing, and the nearest store is not within walkig distance, but he looked in the stuff I packed and voila, sewing kit’s there! He told me recently on a suddenly sunny day up north they all headed to the pool when someone said hey, we don’t have any sunscreen! Then, they all turned to my DS and said, your mom probably packed you some right? Helicopter mom score! Haha</p>

<p>SalveMater! We are twin Maters! Sent my DD to be. Counselor at a Young Life camp in CO mountains with things like portable clothing lines and outlet multipliers…she grumbled. They saved the day! Now she doesn’t say a word.</p>

<p>But I get a warm Mater feeling!!!</p>

<p>Too right, he said no and it’s ok mom, to everything and now he’s grateful! In his psych class he said he read a study that showed that kids with helicopter parents do better in life, or something along the positivity range of events. I said ya think!?</p>