Thinking About Transferring Back, Unsure

Hi everyone, I wanted some advice on something I’ve been thinking a lot about.

Out of high school, I went to University A and had a wonderful experience. I got the chance to visit there in high school (one of the professors invited me to campus after I reached out and drove me to the campus from my high school), and being the small college that it is, I connected with all the professors as a junior and they all really got to see my potential. From my first semester, I was working for my department as a student worker, invited to serve as president of an organization, got invited to a foreign language debate team, and served on a board. All of my professors knew me personally and one invited me to design and co-teach a foreign language class and a new professor invited me to conduct linguistics research after we discussed my research interests and professional plans.

However, during my year at university A, I realized that I wanted to pursue French education which was not available at there (I was pursuing Spanish education). So, I transferred to university B. My experience really has not been similar and nearly immediately I missed university A. From the start, it didn’t feel like “my school” as I always imagined myself graduating from university A. While I am pursuing the major I want, I don’t know the faculty as well nor do I feel like I’m getting to contribute as much to the program. Moreover, it felt like I was invited to participate in opportunities at university A but I’ve had to search these out at university B. Being a transfer student, I also didn’t have a lot of friends and every time I’ve returned to university A, I have reminisced and missed the experience. Recently, I’ve considered going back. However, I only have 3 more semesters to graduation at university B.

Though I’m getting to get the diploma I want, I’ve just not really enjoyed my year at university B. I’ve spent a great deal of time reflecting on the past and if I went back, I could finish out in four semesters.

But if you go back, you can’t study French - and I would think being able to study what you want trumps anything else.

But it’s also not good to be miserable.

What language will you do at school A? Just realize, school A has changed since you’ve left. You may not come back in the same spot.

I would study Spanish education: it is true that I wouldn’t have French there. I might be able to reclaim my spot in the honors program and design a major in French + Linguistics with my credits in those areas but am unsure. It wouldn’t give me the P-12 endorsement in French.

I have also considered that the university may be widely different from my freshman year, as many of the faculty that I knew have retired.

1 Like

Oh, I am so sorry your experience at University B hasn’t had the vibe of University A. Community really makes a difference!

That said, if you are sure you won’t be able to get your P-12 French endorsement at University A, then don’t transfer back. Being a French teacher really is different than being a Spanish teacher. I mean obviously some aspects are the same, but of all the French teachers I know personally, none of them would prefer to be Spanish teachers (and vice versa.)

In addition, since many of the faculty you knew during your time at University A have retired, it won’t be the same experience it was before.

So my advice is to stick with University B. Three more semesters will be over faster than you think. In the meantime, do your very best to create community and connections at University B.

When it comes time for you to have your career as a teacher, always keep in mind the differences you experienced at University A vs. University B and be the sort of teacher who creates an environment like University A for your students. Best wishes!

5 Likes

I think that biting the bullet and persevering through the next three semesters at University B is the way to go. If you can tough it out for a year and a half, I think it will be worth it – think of how long that French-related major will serve you in your professional life. It could really pay off for the next 40 years, and fund a nice retirement, if it leads to a career you love.

3 Likes