Thoughts on Cal Poly liberal arts programs?

From my impression of Cal Poly, the school is engineering/STEM oriented, with their whole Learn by Doing process and all. Does the appeal of the school extend well into the Liberal Arts programs as well? I can see the value of having the potential for research and hands-on capabilities in those kinds of programs as well, but I’m sure they’re very different than STEM majors. Are the liberal arts majors as well regarded as them? I’m specifically looking into Political Science. Thank you for your time!

My son is a senior English major at Cal Poly. I was an English major in college (Sonoma State '93) and I am currently a high school English teacher. I can say, without reservation, that Cal Poly has done an excellent job of educating my son both inside and outside of his major. His first roommate was a Political Science major and he has also enjoyed and appreciated his educational experience. Cal Poly graduates are highly regarded in my profession, for all degrees including Liberal Arts, because there is a deserved reputation of producing high quality, intelligent, well trained graduates.

There are benefits to studying Liberal Arts at STEM/Polytechnic universities. My son has access to minors that very few of his friends can even think about at larger, but more urban schools. He got interested in gardening (specifically growing SPICY peppers) during his freshman year and is now pursuing a Fruit Sciences minor. How many English majors get to drive a tractor for class work?

That’s really helpful, thank you!

My major is going to be Political Science, and I’m hoping to minor in something like Environmental Studies to give me a little breadth when applying for jobs or law school. Thanks again!

My daughter is an English major and she loves it. The learn by doing spreads to all majors. Her room mate is a Poly Sci major and has a great job downtown city hall.