Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

$5 is a return off 10%. In the current situation that sounds great in the market.

1 Like

Well, not to me and I’m a tiny stockholder. There is risk, IMO. And also the stock could turn quick and be thinly traded also IMHO. Why? Well many people who owned Twitter don’t like Musk and they might not want to hold the stock ( so they are would be sellers). They are holding the stock hoping for the payoff ( like me). But any bad news could turn it quick.
10% is a good return! But not a great return, IMO for 6 months with inflation going nuts. And you still have to buy and sell it to get that return. You’re holding it til Oct. So not a day trade. That’s what I am thinking in terms of the stock. I’m comfortable holding 10K, but I wouldn’t hold 100K. Just too risky. I’d rather trade something that had a lot of volume and less risk. I’ll be happy if I make a decent profit ( about 20%) but I didn’t buy it for that reason.

Now I’m wondering if he’s just creating an elaborate excuse to unload his Tesla shares. :grinning:

3 Likes

This is what my husband has been telling me.

Bill Maher hits the nail on the head for why Twitter needs Musk. Bravo!!

1 Like

What did Bill Maher say??

Here a few lines from Maher:

“Has Twitter failed in setting itself up in the past as the judge of what can go out there? And I would say yes, you have. You failed when you threw the New York Post off of Twitter for talking about Hunter Biden’s emails. And it turned out that was a real story. You failed when you said we couldn’t read about whether COVID had come from a lab. You failed!”

“Twitter could be a place where you might see an opinion that you didn’t formally consider, and we need that desperately in America”

“I’d much rather have Elon Musk making the rules that a 23-year-old who can’t take the joke on Babylon Beeswax, or whatever the f— that is. I mean, this is a generation that doesn’t know what the word ‘violence’ means. They think ‘violence’ means ‘anything I don’t like.’ Their standard of free speech is ‘I’m uncomfortable.’ That’s not where the standard is, right?”

“Civics doesn’t exist anymore. They don’t know 
 ‘Free speech? What the f— does that mean? It hurt my feelings.’ That’s what matters to them. That’s what I worry about. I mean, I hear it all the time”

“I think that’s what Elon Musk wants to fix at Twitter”

11 Likes

So I say it might not happen and someone says take if with a grain of salt. Then I say will then you can make an easy 10% and all of a sudden there is risk.

Sorry, I’m not understanding your point. Can you rephrase it?

I’ve heard his name mentioned before, when he’s gotten into trouble, but I had to look up who Bill Maher was and why his opinion matters. :man_shrugging:

I said the deal might not happen. Someone asked for sources. I found one article that someone dismissed.

So I asked then why the stock wasn’t trading at purchase price. Then you said the deal was risky.

Seems like the same thing.

2 Likes

As expected, the deal is “temporarily on hold.” :wink:

1 Like

He agreed to pay $54/ share and last I saw it’s trading around $41-$42/share. I have my doubts about the deal closing, but it looks like a classic renegotiating ploy.

Exactly. If Elon walks, and pays the billion dollar breakup fee, the share price drops into the $30s. So, perhaps the Board might be happy with something in the high 40’s?

Sounds like the board misrepresented the number of bots in the original deal, so he’s holding their feet to the fire.

1 Like

This is a complete crock
 a pretext - he is grasping at straws to either walk away or to renegotiate the deal. Tesla stock is down in the dumps. That’s all to it. Oh, and to put out enough smoke to distract from the recent court developments

4 Likes

Surely Elon would be happier with a price of $42.69?

1 Like

The bots are a problem. If most conversations are with computer programs artificially manipulating content, instead of actual thinking people, that calls Twitter’s credibility into serious question. Plus, Twitter is not that big a company and they’re underwater financially. If Elon pulls out, their stock price goes off a cliff and they’re toast.

5 Likes

This information is specifically disclosed in Twitter’s SEC filings. For example, see page 5 on Twitter’s SEC Form 10-K filed with the SEC in February 2022. This is a publicly available document, and anyone can review it.

I would be very curious what information anyone has to call this number into question. This would be a normal question to ask during pre-closing due diligence, but I wonder why the deal would be “temporarily on hold.”

2 Likes

Speaking as a bot, I’m insulted. We think thru our computer programmers, who continually update and improve us. :grinning:

5 Likes