Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

More trouble…

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/13/tech/elon-musk-investigation-twitter/index.html

2 Likes

In response to Twitter’s Thursday filing, Alex Spiro, Musk’s attorney, said it was designed to distract from Twitter’s own legal problems, which arose after the company’s former head of security, Peiter “Mudge” Zatko, accused Twitter of long-ignored security vulnerabilities in a whistleblower disclosure.

“Twitter’s executives are under federal investigation,” Spiro said in a statement to CNN. “This misdirection was sent by Twitter to try and uncover which of their assorted misconduct they are under investigation for.”

What tangled webs they weave……

What else would the lawyers say? :laughing:

5 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/21/tech/twitter-stock-musk-deal/index.html

If there’s any stock that needs a review, it’s Twitter. I mean come on now.

3 Likes

So Musk is firing the twits…got it.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be necessarily a bad thing if Twitter disappears…

3 Likes

Sounds like it might be a “spooky” Halloween!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/elon-musk-pledges-to-close-twitter-acquisition-by-oct-28-deadline

I think what society needed after the pandemic was a detox from social media. I deleted Twitter several months ago…but Truth Social is boring as hell. I decided to take up playing the guitar instead. It’s a much more constructive hobby. They can’t censor what’s not there.

2 Likes

I’m dying to see if this goes through. I bought Twitter two days before Elon Musk first announced he’d buy the company. I was in at about 48. I bought because I believe in free speech and thought change might be coming. And I thought the upside was far higher than the 52 Musk agreed to purchase it. Held on through downslide ( I think it went to about 38), sold at about what I paid. But I’m happy that there is even a discussion going regarding twitter. For too long it has had serious issues.

I think the deal will go through. Some are desperate to stop it, as it’s a powerful tool for information sharing. But I think that if it doesn’t go through, it could fold. I also believe that lots of people will leave/ be fired. I doubt it’s the 75% to be fired that was reported. But I’d guess 20-30% would easily leave.

Hours to go. I’m out financially. But just so curious to see what the banking industry will do. Musk is powerful financially and the banks won’t want to lose out on the deal. At the same time, there are lots of things going on.
Supposed to close this Friday.

2 Likes

I bought it years ago at $19. I’m still kicking myself for not selling when it was over $70.

3 Likes

$50 is still way more than $19.

1 Like

Interesting to see if he takes the company private. You might get some buyout equity.

He’s definitely taking teh company private, hence the big total $44b purchase price. (Otherwise, Elon would just buy enough shares for controlling interest.)

Any shareholder after the close will be automatically cashed out for $54.20/sh, unless Elon can negotiate some sort of 11th hour discount.

Well, I already sold. And honestly, when companies are bought I’ve usually gotten a whole lot more than the stock price. If the price on the table had been $75 plus, I would have held on. So I wasn’t sad keeping it then selling it. Has been fun to watch though. The idea that there could be two sides of every issues shocks some people and awakened a dragon. Not done til the paperwork is fully completed but looks like it’s a go.

2 Likes

Just wow :joy:! Does partially explain why 1. twitter hasn’t been profitable and 2. Why employees are upset at a possible mass firing. Definitely not the office/work environment I experienced.

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status/1585395267552960512?s=61&t=wENSNWLQTlUPcNprnhxl6w

Elon doesn’t need to terminate all, just require them to come into the office 5 days a week. Many will quit on the spot.

6 Likes

That office is remarkable….if you refuse to work there you deserve to be fired.

4 Likes

Well even if you have a remarkable office to go to, working from home can’t be beat. No traffic, flexibility etc. I do agree that companies should be able to make people come to the office at least part of the time.
Many will leave.

I agree it doesn’t need to be 5 days a week. As a former full time office worker, I find it difficult to see how a company effectively and efficiently functions with 100% remote employees. Guess I’m showing my age but I learned so much by interacting with colleagues, especially at the beginning of my career, and often it was through attending unplanned meetings/conference calls and discussions of various issues over lunch and such. None of that happens when you’re working alone in your house.

3 Likes