Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

That’s some pretty damning testimony from a former IT security manager. And to think, we were worried about censorship. It appears the danger was using them at all. Since Twitter isn’t exactly financially solvent, I’m betting they won’t survive this.

I found that piece of “surprise” news to be tired and sensationally presented. By most every news source I’ve seen/heard it on.

The big news that “one employee” can access (the testimony quoted “hijack” but that’s part of the sensationalism) congresspersons’ accounts is laughable. Employees at my energy provider can access my accounts, and even shut off my power if they choose. Employees at my medical provider can access my information and disseminate it in a million different ways. Employees at my financial institutions can access my information and use it in criminal ways. DUH!!! They shouldn’t, and if caught they would be punished … but of course employees at companies I do business with can access my accounts and information. That’s how customer service is provided.

I’ve worked for tech companies (and publishing companies, and service companies, and etc) before and many employees have access to customers’ information/accounts/etc. That’s how it goes.

IMO, this is no news presented as BIG NEWS. This is Elon’s attempt to hijack the news cycle to help him get out of an impulsive decision that will harm him financially. Don’t fall for it.

4 Likes

I found the employee access issue also interesting. I do think that many tech companies have issues transitioning from the startup position where everyone (small numbers) is on the same page and working to the same goals. Eventually, as these companies grow they need to evolve to a more mature internal security posture where not everyone has access to everything.

The problem is that many of todays employees think that any effort to limit access is a slap at transparency. Case in point - Google.

There is nothing magical about tech companies. Many “low-level” employees will have access to customers’ sensitive information. I remember when I was 20, one of my best childhood friends worked for a major hospital’s medical records department. He had access to every patient’s medical and financial information and he was among the lowest-paid employees at the hospital. Even some janitors and cafeteria workers made more money than he did.

Bank tellers can access your financial information. The child of a friend works for an investment company (think Scottrade or any company similar) makes less than $35K/yr and knows all the intimate details of people with 8-figure accounts. Compared to all that, what does it matter really that a customer service rep at a tech company can access my tweets?

This is not news.

1 Like

It is not new, however it’s becoming increasingly problematic for some companies. Many b2b companies are finding that their customers do not want their info shared broadly internally.

I think this is an issue too with hospitals and many other consumer companies. Just not a visible due to scope.

Tweets may seem innocuous, but in the hands of a decent ML expert all kinds of intelligence can be gleaned

1 Like

Twitter closed at $52/share today. Musk is now getting a deal. :smile:

Is there any explanation why, after dissing the company and getting sued, that Elon is again making the offer at his original price? I haven’t had time to read the news on this (fully appreciating that “Google is my friend” :grinning:).

Not so worried about bots anymore, I guess. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

And here is the answer from this article:

“The about-face comes just days before Musk was scheduled to be deposed by Twitter’s lawyers in the company’s lawsuit seeking to force the Tesla CEO to buy the company…
In the letter, Musk agreed to go through with the original deal as long as he received the financing he originally secured - and as long as the court adjourns Twitter’s case against him.”

He was about to get deposed. He has enough caveats that he can try to wiggle his away out of this again.

1 Like

I guess the SEC breathing down his neck had something to do with his decision… Musk’s potential testimony at the trial would have been ugly.

1 Like

Just what I thought. Can’t BS at a deposition
without consequences. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess one can plead the Fifth too!

I haven’t seen the analyst reports, but his condition of obtaining the same financing he “originally secured” is wide enough to drive a truck through, particularly given the market volatility since the first offer was made.

1 Like

He could probably get through a deposition by answering, “I don’t know,” “I can’t remember” and “I take the 5th.” :grin:

3 Likes

There’s also always “They’re out to get me!”

1 Like

But the real question is, can he take the 5th more than 440 times?

1 Like

That is a tall order for sure. I understand that would be 70 times/hour and is the current world, Olympic, and US record* .

(with a * for being wind-aided) :rofl:

Ha! I had to google that reference.

You know what “they say,” only the mob takes the 5th.

3 Likes

Well, all I can say is that, now that this sordid mess is behind Elon and he has again demonstrated his good faith intent by making this offer, he can now concentrate on his efforts to resolve the Russian invasion of Ukraine:

1 Like

He is going for the Nobel Peace Prize. :wink:

Good response by the Ukrainian ambassador, BTW. Using the language easily understood by Elon. :laughing:

1 Like

From the CNN article:

I’ll amend my previous thoughts on Musk’s deposition responses to also include “must have been a bot attack.” :smile:

4 Likes