Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Just an FYI, a gym buddy of mine is interviewing with Uber right now and Uber will require him/her to come into the office (SF) on Tuesdays and Thursdays (2x/week). But it’s right next to the Chase Center, so that’s a great location. Otherwise, it’s WFH.

1 Like

it’s in the Tenderloin district of The City, and which has evolved into homeless encampments and an open drug market. No doubt many employees will feel unsafe returning to the office.

That said, my point was that Elon won’t have to pay severance if they quit voluntarily, and by requiring in office 5x week, many will self terminate.

2 Likes

I guess it really depends on what you do. Some jobs can be done best remotely. I’m thinking of someone I know who works with people across the world and the team is mainly spread across a couple of time zones. So being in the office won’t help.
I do agree that instantaneous communication and watercooler conversations can be helpful in person.
I’ve worked from home since 1997. And I love it. But it’s not for everyone.
And I think for people under 30, it’s better to work in an office where you can learn about the company and how things work.
When my husband used to work at one of the big tech firms he came into the office at first. No one was ever there. And in a global role it made zero sense. But for someone who is coding and might need perspective being in the office could help a lot.
The thing is, once you work from home, it’s hard to get people back into the office.

4 Likes

I’m willing to bet Elon will move Twitter to Austin.

1 Like

My law firm has been trying to hire a corporate atty for over a year. NONE of the candidates want to work in the office.

2 Likes

Personally I think hybrid is a great model. My son works in IT and goes into the office 3 days a week. Gives him the opportunity to meet and integrate with his team, and his managers, and provides the opportunity to build rapport with people who will be in charge of his possible promotions and personal development/mentoring/professional development. A good friend’s son works with data analytics at one of the big four and he has never been in the office. He doesn’t seem to mind it but he also has nothing to compare it to because his internship was cancelled due to COVID. At times it seems like a lonely existence.

Another interesting factor is the affect of the WFH explosion on the commercial real estate market. A large tech company in the same building as my H’s company hasn’t had employees in the office since Marchr 2020. They also merged with a local company adding more RE under lease and possibly an owned building. They’re looking to sublet their space for the remainder of their lease terms and possibly sell the building.

It’s definitely a new world out there!

1 Like

Definitely will move out of CA, and Austin is the betting favorite. All the more reason to get folks to voluntarily quit.

Yes, in Europe where there is limited housing the decrease in demand for office space is turning out to be a great thing. Corporate office space can be turned into housing for young people to work and live in the city. Most work from home and the building as easily converted.

3 Likes

Musk has said he wants to turn the HQ into housing for the homeless….

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Signed,
Longtime Austinite

3 Likes

It’s a done deal. Elon has closed, and the C-Suite has resigned (per their golden parachute agreements, I’m sure)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/27/twitter-elon-musk/

Thoughts, priceless. He fired the CEO, head of legal and head of something else. Bring back 1A and send these people packing. Great, and priceless.

2 Likes

As I am sure you are aware, the First Amendment does NOT apply to a non-government actor.

Have fun!

12 Likes

Twitter’s board was planning to make “drastic” cuts to staff and other services, including cutting roughly a quarter of the budget for third-party contractors who moderate content for the company, major cuts to infrastructure and data centers, and firing thousands of people to shave at least $700 million off labor costs, according to the interviews and documents. One of the leaders who signed off on the layoff notices was Edgett, who was fired Thursday.

Wonder how many employees Twitter’s board intended to fire versus Musk’s supposed 75%. Total current work force is ~7,500.

Good luck to Mr. Musk. Dealing with the public is a few orders of magnitude harder than building physical objects like cars or rockets.

4 Likes

He really didn’t fire the C-levels. In such arrangements, the top folks have a contract to stay until the deal is closed, but only until the deal is closed. So, their employment contract expires on the close of the deal, earning big bonuses. That said, sometimes the acquiring company may ask teh CFO to stay on for 30-60 days, but in this case, there is no need as Twitter has been in a holding pattern for months, so its not like there are any deals to be managed.

If I was elon, I’d sue the former Board members personally for the outrageous comp that they paid to the former GC.

3 Likes

Can he fire bots? I hope he leaves us bots alone.

4 Likes

twitter offices are in the tenderloin district???