Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Actually we went for a run, so we made it well past 25’. We enjoyed the view at Twin Peaks. Still no smell.

But people believe the Earth is flat too. So I’ll just laugh and move on.

5 Likes

I have not been there since the summer, but most of SF is still pretty delightful. There are areas that are dismal and these are a lot worse than 10 years ago, for example. But, it is still a wonderful city.

I never thought Musk would go through with the deal but was just looking for the ego gratification of being the center of things. My sense is that he is one of the best salesmen/fundraisers of all-time. Great a creating hype and then selling. He has also been great at getting engineers excited about a mission to put in inhuman efforts to get things done (internal salemanship). Unlike Solar City or Tesla or SpaceX, there is no great mission at Tesla and he has not been able to build the team of engineers to surmount the big goals. However, I don’t think the problem with Tesla has been engineering (thought it would be good if they did not have big hacker attacks that shared the identities of customers) but rather there seem to be two (at least) key issues: 1) how do you maintain useful conversation while suppressing misinformation and hate speech; and 2) what is the economic model that works.

1 Like

Do you mean “Twitter”? :slight_smile:

1 Like

He’s all in on the misinformation, though. And he’s brought back plenty of people who specialize in hate speech. So this one will be tough to accomplish.

5 Likes

Yes. Sorry. Twitter, not Tesla.

1 Like

Agree. I think that is a key strategic issue for Twitter that he is clearly addressing by enabling some forms of hate speech. Hard to see that his approach will be successful at maintaining useful conversation.

2 Likes

I used to moderate a little, community blog that we originally hoped could follow the “free speech” principle. We quickly learned that was impossible, and people were telling me that they stopped reading the blog because of all the garbage that was on it. People were accusing others publicly of criminal activity with no evidence; they were taking personal vendettas to the blog; we’d get evangelical stuff every hour - stuff like that.

Then I started to moderate, and found it’s a no-win situation. You’ll always have people angry at you for what you do and don’t block. I think Elon is learning that.

3 Likes

Things are going swimmingly at Musk’s twitter, as can be seen by the high quality advertisers . . .

4 Likes

New and improved verification immediately hacked. “Hacked” is really too strong of a word though - more like “proven not to be any different”.

Maybe the few (if any) people left on the verification team are too busy taking out the trash (literally) and cleaning the bathrooms.

2 Likes

Perkins sucks!! I hired them. Oops, that was my staff’s mistake. They are fired!

IMO, the above is a great endorsement for the law firm. :slight_smile:

https://www.reuters.com/legal/elon-musk-says-twitter-staff-error-led-hiring-perkins-coie-law-firm-2023-01-06/

3 Likes

Elon Musk reinstated the Twitter account of Michael Flynn. On January 6.

1 Like

OF COURSE HE DID…ON THAT DATE.

Ugh

1 Like

Twitter suspended the account Tuesday that the D.C.-area’s largest transit system uses to inform bus riders of delays, scheduling changes and other information without explanation to the transit agency.

Perhaps Musk is riding public transport in DC and doesn’t want anyone to know his possible whereabouts? Or maybe he is just encouraging those who use public transport to buy Teslas? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

A sign posted outside Twitter HQ:

1 Like

He suspended @metrobusinfo, and reinstated Ron Watkins.

He really is one of the worst.

10 Likes

Holy rhinestones on a rhino! This guy is a piece of work:

Ronald Watkins (born April 18, 1987) is an American conspiracy theorist and site administrator of the imageboard website 8kun (formerly known as 8chan).[3][4] He has played a major role in spreading the discredited far-right QAnon conspiracy theory,[5][6] and has promulgated conspiracy theories that widespread election fraud led to Joe Biden’s victory over Donald Trump in the 2020 U.S. presidential election.[5][7] He is the son of Jim Watkins, the owner and operator of 8kun.[8]

Numerous journalists and researchers believe that one or both of the Watkinses know the identity of, or are themselves, “Q”, the person or group of people behind QAnon.[9]

Watkins served as site administrator for 8kun from 2016 until he announced he had resigned in November 2020, though some have questioned the veracity of his resignation. Ron Watkins - Wikipedia

1 Like

What a load of BS!

2 Likes

Maybe Musk thinks public transportation is “woke” and we all know he wants to eliminate the woke virus.

1 Like

I was listening to local sports talk radio this AM and the show had a local 49ers beat writer on the show to talk about the game this Saturday. The 49ers beat writer had mentioned that he had tweeted out Saturday’s weather forecast and the various measures that the 49ers were taking to keep the field in good shape with all the rain we’re having here.

Anyway, the radio show’s host, who follows the 49ers beat writer on Tweeter, never even saw the beat writer’s tweet in his feed, but there were certainly lots of tweets (and ads) on other subjects not relevant to sports. So, for a couple minutes, the radio show’s host “raked” Musk “over the coals.”

4 Likes

Bidding is open!

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/want-a-giant-neon-twitter-bird-youll-have-to-bid-more-than-17000/