Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

has anyone applied rutgers bs/do? if so, what were ur stats?

Thank you. I did not find enough info on Seton Hall, but will check on FAU. Still waiting to hear form FAU, but there is no interview from Med school. Seton Hall looks at your app and accepts based on it

NOVA has a BS/DO program. A number of BS/DO students obtain scholarships.
It’s DO program is reputed with >97% residency match rates. There was a dip in residency match rates 3-4 years ago but it seems they have pulled that percent up.
Their COMLEX pass rates are around 90% - which is low for an established school.

NOVA also started an MD school couple of years ago and at that time the administration was distracted and not providing as much support to DO students. You may want to check if that has subsided.

The campus is beautiful and they boast some of the best student housing in the country.

Hope this helps.

(Disclaimer: Not against any college or individuals but just be aware IMO)

When we search for colleges, though your aim is to become a doctor, we all do need to look at an important point which is the “accreditation” and residency matches/opportunities. As many institutions (if they are in USA) are strictly monitored, it’s good to take a look at how new/old they are (lcme.org)

I have seen few articles on CNSU, Caribbean colleges (to name a few) that caused issues in those topics. (Google/Bing)

Finally, all the folks who have taken this much effort in HS will certainly find a way to succeed in their final goal to become a doctor, even if it’s in the “usual traditional route” than in one of the places.

Again JMHO, for what’s it worth

Good luck

Thank you, I found this helpful!!

1 Like

@NoviceDad, thanks for sharing your views. Nova is one of the few colleges that seem to offer both MD and DO. Good to know about their stats.

1 Like

How did the Interview go? What kind of questions asked?

How to prepare for 7yr medical school Interview? Any suggestions?

Sent a DM!

Thanks. How does Rowan BS/DO compare to other BS/DO programs?

can u please send me some suggestions also

Hello,

Could you guys help me get an idea of how I would look as a BAMD applicant?

Any advice is much appreciated as I am a first gen college student.

I am a junior from Illinois.
Applicant pool: Regional (Illinois)
Race: Indian
Family Income < 32K (Would this help me/Should I mention this in essays as my family is very financially disadvantaged?)

GPA:
Unweighted: 3.83 (Hopefully going to increase a bit more this semester and 1st semester senior year)
Weighted: 4.52
Not Ranked

ACT: 30
SAT: 1450 (Will increase, plan on taking it many more times and will study for it much more)

High School Activities, Organizations, and Clubs:
Math Team: 9, 10, 11 and present (Won multiple awards and competed for State)
Science Olympiad: 9, 10, 11 and present (On varsity and competed at high level competitions)
STEM Club: 9, 10, 11 and present (VP, and we create major projects for the community)
Interact Club: 9, 10, 11 and present (VP)
Reality Illinois: 9, 10, 11 and present (Consider it my most powerful activity/club. We advocate for smoke free parks, raising the smoking and vaping age. Spoken at multiple town halls w/ representatives present on these issues. We actually contributed in the raising of the age for Tobacco age (met with Governor Pritzker for our contributions)
Tutor low income, disadvantaged Middle Schoolers: 9, 10, 11 and present (Don’t know the exact hours, but 2 hours weekly)
ICNA Relief: 9, 10, 11 and present ( Volunteer at Mobile Clinics working alongside Physicians and/or Nurses conducting medical screenings for immigrant/low-income families. Take blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol, and lipid panel data)
American Red Cross (Blood Donor Ambassador): 10, 11 and present: Assist blood donors with check-in, answer donation questions, and assist with clerical tasks. Worked behind the scenes working on paperwork for blood drives and scheduling blood drives and donors
Computer Science Society: 9, 10, 11 and present
Medical Club: 9, 10, 11 and present (President)
Muslim Student Organization: 9, 10, 11 and present (President)
Volunteer at a Hospital: ≈ 200 hours (Just normal volunteering but its a very large hospital so a lot of work)
Teach Islamic Studies to 6-12 year old children at my local Mosque: 10, 11 and present (2 hours on Saturday and Sunday)
Fermilab Physics Program: 2 hour weekly lectures and Q&A’s for 12 Weeks from world renowned physicists

Summer Programs:

RUSH Medical Center Reach Program:
6 week Summer program (Anatomy classes and Medical lectures from physicians and professors

STAHR UMKC Program (online course due to Covid):
6 week program
Medical lectures and Q&A with various medical professionals

Research:
University of Chicago Research Assistant: 6-7 months (Did image analysis of mice aorta’s to determine heart disease medication proficiency with a U Chicago Researcher)

Extra:
Raised a couple of thousand dollars and about a couple hundreds of clothing/toiletries for disadvantaged families when Covid began.

Awards/Honors:
Spanish Honor Society: 10, 11 and present
Math Team Awards: Most regional awards

Thank you

Sent a DM to both of you, @saracollege and @pakoo

It depends. What program is it? Is it MMI? etc

You have a good profile. It seems you have not allowed your financial situation to impact your opportunities.

You need to up your SAT/ACT score.
Try to get SAT > 1550 or ACT > 34.

Also, try to get some shadowing experience.

Your financial situation comes into play for financial aid.
Based on FAFSA, colleges will learn about your disadvantaged situation.
I suggest you seriously explore Questbridge for your regular applications - that will help you save $$ for applications.
If you qualify for free or reduced school lunch, avail that and send that info to Common App - this will also help reduce or eliminate application fees.

Other notes: If your financial situation is temporary due to COVID, private colleges will want to know your family assets/ wealth.

1 Like

Rowan DO SOM is a reputed DO school with ~99% residency match.
Comlex pass rates are 95-97%

They have good rotation sites and has a supportive environment.

NOVA’s MD is a new program and does not offer BS/MD.
They have 50 seats and they are yet to graduate a batch.

1 Like

I just checked previous year’s forum and GWU said that they continue to send interview invites out until end of February and that they will tell you if you don’t receive an interview unlike BU who will just not contact you. so I think everyone still has hope

1 Like

Any tips for a bs/md MMI interview?

Thank you for the helpful info!