Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Is there a separate application for each feeder college to SUNY Upstate or does one application cover them all?

If applying to Yale or Princeton through single restricted early action, can you still apply to the Case Western and other colleges’ BS/MD Program that has early deadline?

Here’s what Princeton says (Application Dates & Deadlines | Princeton Admission):

"Princeton University’s single-choice early action program is a nonbinding process. If admitted, you have until May 1 to notify us about your decision to matriculate. If you apply single-choice early action, also known as restrictive early action, on Nov. 1, you may not apply to an early program at any other private college or university. However, please note the following:

• You may apply early to any public institution or service academy, as long as the decision is nonbinding.
  • You may apply early to any international institution, as long as the decision is nonbinding.
  • You may apply early to any college or university with a nonbinding rolling admission process."

So, yes you can. But if there is any BSMD that has any early action or early decision deadline, you may not apply that route (unless it’s a public nonbinding BSMD). “Early” action/decision is not the same as “applying regular decision early”

However, different universities may have different definitions. Please check out the policies of any university you plan REA’ing or ED’ing to. For example, a couple of years ago, UPENN allowed students to ED to their university and apply to other schools EA as well.

Yes. You can do one Ivy League type school and still apply to BS/MD programs since those programs have specific deadlines you must meet.

What you can’t do is ED to any other school or EA to private schools without applying to a specific special programs.

You can EA to public schools and an Ivy, even if there isn’t a special program.

So for example,
My kid applied to Stanford and all his BSMD programs, which most of the time have a much earlier deadline and some of them do require you apply under early action. He also applied early action to UVA and UNC. He couldn’t apply EA to Northeastern because he applied REA to Stanford.

For the SUNY Upstate BSMD programs, do you have the opportunity to interview with the SOM multiple times if you apply to multiple feeder schools?

Which of the feeder schools have the best merit scholarships? Like full tuition or full ride Presidential/Provost/Deans/etc.?

I know that each feeder school Upstate BSMD has different requirements. Are any of them better than the others?

Do any of the Upstate BSMDs have instate bias?

Also the program is called “Accelerated medical scholars or Upstate accelerated scholars” – does that mean that these programs are 7 years?

Thank you.

Thank you for your first-hand information.
So students can apply for YALE, PRINCETON or Stanford REA and simultaneously apply for BSMD through regular decision.
However, Harvard REA stated “If you apply to Harvard under our Restrictive Early Action program, you may also apply early to non-binding public or foreign colleges/universities (no Early Decision programs), but you may not apply early (in any form) to U.S. private” and " Some schools require you to apply prior to our REA decision release date (for example, applying by December 1) for scholarship consideration. You may do so only if the school is public or foreign and admission is not binding."
That means students cannot apply any BSMD having early deadline before Dec 15 if they apply for Harvard REA.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Is it not true that you can REA only one of HPYS(Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford)? Choose one of these as a REA and can apply EA to all public BSMDs. You may not EA or ED any private institution like Northeastern. There is no longer HPME at Northwestern. Applying regular decision early (RDs are non-binding anyway) to an institution is not equivalent to an EA, IMO.
If Harvard does not allow it, would you choose a BSMD or Harvard ?
It depends upon you, what are your chances of getting into Harvard ?
How badly you want a bird-at-hand choice(BSMD) ? One can always get into a medical school via regular route (only 5% of medical students are admitted via BSMD route).

Thank you for your reply. It makes a lot of sense.

For most of the top tier schools like HYPSM, REA isn’t so much a boost to applications as it is an early notification. It isn’t like ED at some privates.

My oldest applied ED at his reach because he was slightly above middle for their averages- ED is an admission strategy in that aspect. My youngest applied REA at Stanford to, in his words, see what happens with the total expectation of not getting in. It’s more like an early alert system if anything.

Quick question: could one realistically run a small business while attending a
bs/md program?

@youngthriver - IMO, usually the hours UG students spend attending lectures is far less compared to high school. Each student is different regarding how much time they spend on homework, study for tests etc. A typical student would still have some time for bunch of extra curricular activities like research/shadowing etc. If your business takes part time commitment (10-20 hrs), it may be doable during UG.

This is likely to change in MD portion since I have heard that MD is pretty fast paced as it is. Also, depending on your residency interest, you may need to spend time on research etc.

deleted.

@Superstar678 - 25 BSMD’s are too many. ideally you can be successful with 12-15 BSMDs. you need to think in terms of Quality vs. Quantity and shouldn’t sacrifice quality for quantity. With additional application, essays for the MD portion - it will be enough work as it is.

Try to reduce your list. Pick top 12-15 out of your list, do your best. If after completing all these, you feel you have energy to add a few more, add one by one.

@cheer2021 - There will a separate application for each feeder (and separate application fee) but when MD school selects for interview then there will be just one interview.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the advice! I’m currently in the process of cutting it down.

1 Like

Does anyone know when the NJIT, TCNJ, and the other NJMS feeders (aside from RU-NK since ik they already did theirs) are hosting their BSMD information sessions? If so, I would appreciate if you could send me the link. Thanks!

Also, does anyone know if BSMDs will look at shadowing from a private practice differently than shadowing done in a hospital setting? How willing are they to accept Virtual Shadowing relative to In-Person Shadowing granted COVID-19?

@LightMXD - COVID-19 has been around since the current batch was in their 10th, thru their 11th and has not gone away completely. So, we can safely expect most students to be in the same boat. IMO, the colleges will be considerate and accept Virtual Shadowing, volunteering and research (if anyone got a virtual opportunity)!

1 Like

No, it would be difficult with other medical related ECs, leadership/clubs activities and any research( highly recommended) during UG. You would need to maintain a high GPA as required by the BSMD program to matriculate to medical school. Medical school would be absolutely NO with fast paced blocks and the grading system.