Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

I got another email from case saying there is an update but when log in, it’s still the same message of waitlisted.
Anybody else got an email again?

1 Like

thank you for saying this. A lot people on this thread (specifically one person who has been extremely active) disparage BS/DO programs without knowing anything about it or what osteopathic physicians actually do.

1 Like

This reminds me - Case Western’s number of applicants this year is 3200 with 70 invited to interview.

1 Like

Let’s hope for the best. God definitely has a plan for everyone.

1 Like

All colleges of osteopathic medicine that we’ve researched indicate OMM is about 200 hours

I’m concerned by the comment that MD’s “get more clinical training”. I don’t think that’s the case. I believe that the OMM is on top of the physician training an MD would get. At least that is how it is presented.

In our community, we have a lot of DO doctors and they range in a variety of specialities - they’re not restricted to family med or peds.

There is currently a bias, but our bet is that in 7-8 years that bias will slowly dissipate since residency programs have been combined.

1 Like

I think it all depends. I don’t think DO has any downside. I know a DO who is the pediatric head in a hospital and she has several MDs working for her. As for applying my daughter said that she will try BS/MD as direct program and if she did not get it, she will do undergrad and will apply to MD or DO based on her stats then.

5 Likes

MDs don’t necessarily get trained in OMM. They can either opt to take an elective during med school on OMM if their schools offer that. Or they can do an OMM fellowship program. I think it really depends on what specialty you want to pursue. Having knowledge about OMM can be really useful in a primary care setting but not in some other specialties. Nevertheless, it is a useful technique and you should pursue it if you see its potential in your future practice.

Let’s all relax and not take things personal about DO/MD.

Bill Gates was a dropout and successful businessperson than almost all MBAs from IVYs, so can a MD/DO be successful than others period.

Kids(People) have preference based on perception and their observation… that includes degrees, places (go read college forums on each college locations… there is opinion good/bad).

Have a good one

Sad to hear… again all is NOT over yet (Can’t comment on 8 colleges rejection without knowing details but it happens to best so don’t lose hope)

Still colleges are finalizing like HOFSRA, Drexel and few more… so hopefully get in.

Best

Where (BSMD and BSDO programs) did she apply? Why did she apply to only 8 programs? For example, was she interested only in certain locations or more prestigious programs?

Average BSMD applicant applies to 12-15 BSMD programs and another 5-6 UG colleges. With BSMD’s, it’s hard to predict which college will like your student’s profile.

BSMD programs are ultra-competitive. Stats are important however ECs and awards are also important. The admissions are pretty holistic. It is slightly possible that public university BSMD’s might be a little stats heavy (typically they do get lots of applicants for UG) however, this would not be the case with private colleges which are smaller.

In the end, she doesn’t need to compromise with BSDO. She has the option of taking the UG route and trying for MD again. Or try for Early assurance as a sophomore.

2 Likes

He will still get something good.

1 Like

@S2022Senior Are you still waiting for interviews/decisions for BSMD programs? May I know how many?
I concur with @Vicky2019. IMO, you should have applied for a dozen or more BSMDs no matter how stellar stats you have. That’s because of the unpredictive nature of BSMD programs. Did you get any competitive UG offers on hand or waiting for a few?
95% of MD seats are filled through the traditional path. Many committed individuals made it, but there are risks too. A large percentage of PreMeds drop out of the MD race because they lose interest, weed out courses (like Organic Chemistry and Bio-Chemistry), Lower GPA (couple C’s drags down their GPA), and so on. Overall many premeds drop out before even writing the MCAT exam. A recent study says only 17% of premeds made it to MD school. If you end up with UG GPA below 3.7 and MCAT below 510, then these stats complicates your entry chances into the MD school. Having UG GPA below 3.5 complicates the chances of DO school admission. I came to know strong LORs, ECs, hooks can pull up the lag in the GPA and MCAT, but not to a major extent.
IMO, HS GPA <> UG GPA (not equals) for most. If you are motivated, committed to a physician career path, maintain 3.8+ UG GPA and target 515+ MCAT score, besides having internships, UG research experience, and strong LORs then the traditional path is there for you to explore.
If you haven’t already checked NYIT BSDO match-list for the last 2-3 years, you better check before you commit. Ultimately, your child will be successful in whichever path she chooses.

2 Likes

@aepbj1 - with these stats, he is likely to get into one of the programs.
patience… You still have 6 more to go…
Even after applying to 15+ bsmd programs, students should feel happy with 1-3 admits to BSMD programs. All you need is admit into one!

Last year, a kid with a great profile like your kid was rejected from many BSMD programs and later got into case western or Brown PLME.

3 Likes

Hi, I was wondering where you found these statistics.

It was in the rejection letter from CWRU this year.

From over 3,200 highly qualified candidates, the committee could select only 70 finalists to be interviewed at the professional schools of Case Western Reserve University.

Ok thank you I did not see it on my letter from CWRU.

@aepbj1 I know these rejections are brutal. You have 6 more to go, hang on there till the end. All you need is one acceptance. Assuming that you will get an interview at least, you can prepare for an interview in advance. IMO, that’s the best you can do at this point of time. Good luck.

Sent you a DM

Yes, the 200 hours for OMM are usually on top of the regular medical training.

Does anyone get forwarded or not to njms from caldwell?