Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

They had it a few months ago and I got the info to join through email and didnt have to sign up for an email list. Make sure to sign up for college notifs when you take the SAT and you should be fine honestly

I’m guessing you’re applying next year. Admission officers are well aware of the COVID Pandemic so don’t worry about whether they’ll accept this or not since they know that many resources are limited. For that reason, admission officers are even fine with stuff like virtual shadowing so there shouldn’t be much concern over what type of research is accepted.

1 Like

@LightMXD Thank you for your helpful replies! For research, we were just wondering during a normal year, if there would be a difference between the two.

I mean my son got into the program of your username and did wet lab type research. It was literally the only opportunity despite contacting a ton of people.

His medical volunteering was more patient focused.

I feel like Penn state this last year was crazy high. I want to say they expected a kid to be top 1%? Or something like that. Or maybe that was Pitt. One of the two

@Superstar678 @cheer2021

SUNY Upstate with all feeder schools has about 60 seats.
Purchase and University at Albany feeder schools have 10 seats each and rest of the feeder schools have 5.

Brooklyn has 15 seats
Sophie Davis is in single digits.

1 Like

Pitt wanted the students to be in the top 1%.
But Penn State was crazy last year.

@BrownPLME Please do not spread misinformation. All BSMD programs are unsafe since no one gives you a guaranteed admission to medical school but it is dependent on meeting additional requirements. It is your risk averse nature which uses such words like unsafe.
Are you afraid of an interview with medical school during UG? May be afraid of 3.6 GPA with no course grade less than B- in UG and a MCAT min 509 ( min 126 in each section ) at one of those mentioned by you ? May be you want to by pass MCAT altogether ?
It all depends upon your risk tolerance level. Find your risk tolerance level and choose accordingly. Some one who is risk averse may keep all his money in bank deposits ( yielding virtually pennies) while some one who has higher risk tolerance may want to invest in stocks for higher returns. This is not a financial advise.

@BrownPLME Your post is misleading and incorrect. FYI, Temple BSMD is a BSMD program as recognized by AMCAS when you fill in the AMCAS application. It is not an EAP. Every BS/MD candidate has to fill out an AMCAS application to matriculate into the medical school. You may be ignorant of this since you are just in HS.
FYI, AMCAS is similar to Common App for HS students when applying to colleges. It is known as American Medical College Admission Service. It has classifications of medical programs as regular and BSMD. Temple has both a regular and a BSMD program in AMCAS.
FYI, EAP stands for Early Access Program which are usually open to all UG students of a particular set of colleges. Some EAP may be open to all college students in US.
Please do not use words if you are not sure of their definitions.

1 Like

Do you have any stats on NJMS? Thanks!

NJMS

Approx 20-25 from TCNJ
~ 15-20 from NJIT
~ 15-20 from Rutgers-Newark
single digits from all other feeder schools

NOTE: These numbers vary as students decide on the feeder schools they accept to attend.

1 Like

Hi All - I have been reading the this forum for sometime. I must say, it is very informative with such a great community.

My daughter is a high school senior and is planning on applying for BS/MD program. Here are her stats + profile; does she have a chance? any advise will be much appreciated

GPA: 4.01 (UW); 5.6 (W)
SAT : 1530 (1570 superscore)
Class rank: School does not give rank but she is in the top 5% of her graduating class
APs 8 so far : in 6 APs she has a score of 5; and 2 a score of 4
She is taking 4 more APS in her senior year
ORM - Indian ; State: NJ

Medical ECs:

1. Shadowing for 50 hours
  2. Volunteering @ health care for 60 hours
  3. Clinical research for ~ 100 hours on Genetic sequencing
  4. Attended a MiniMedical program

Other EC:

1. Dancing and Music for 8+ years and performed at various charitable events
  2. Badminiton for 3 years

Leadership:

1. President of a Medical club
  2. Co-founder of Women in STEM club at her school
  3. Vice president of a Cultural diversity club and has been performing for all 4 years
  4. Member of honors societies

She is planning on applying to 6-7 BS/MD and a few BS/DO program and is very determined to pursue a physician career.

What are her chances of getting into a BS/MD program?

-deleted

Thank you! This was helpful. It definitely seems harder to get clinical research than wet lab research as a high school student.

@BrownPLME
Temple BSMD is NOT an EAP. Go find out the definition of EAP ? Stop spreading misinformation. By definition, any program which has pre-conditions attached prior to matriculation to the medical school is NOT guaranteed and hence all BSMD programs are unsafe. A simple logic. Rest is dependent on your risk profile and risk tolerance level.

1 Like

-deleted

Temple BSMD is NOT an EAP. Anyone else saying it otherwise does not make it an EAP. It is akin to spreading misinformation. AMCAS( American Medical College Admission Service ) recognizes Temple BSMD as a BSMD program. There is no higher authority than AMCAS ( it is a part of Association of American Medical Colleges) in medical school admissions.
If any doubt, contact AMCAS,
Association of American Medical Colleges 655 K St. NW, Suite 100. Washington, DC, 20001-2399. 202-828-0400. Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.

-deleted

For LECOM EAP are we allowed to send in the EAP application before undergraduate applications? For the schools I’m applying through I need my letters/transcripts to come in but my LECOM application is done.

Looks like @grtd2010 keeps editing his comments to remove the disrespectful attacks, so some of my comments’ contents may not make sense. But I appreciate the changes. Thank you :pray:

Let folks choose based on their risk tolerance level. Temple/Temple BSMD is not an EAP. They have a small 4-6 cohort joining every year. It has been reported that they had a stress interview in small group settings in past, not a typical BSMD medical school interview. Here is AMCAS contact to verify, Temple BSMD status.
Association of American Medical Colleges 655 K St. NW, Suite 100. Washington, DC, 20001-2399. 202-828-0400. Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.

P. S : All medical schools accredited by LCME prepare you as a MD. It makes no difference whether you went to Brown Medical school or Harvard Medical school, once you are a board certified MD. Ask those who practice medicine.