Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Got into RIT/SUNY Upstate!

16 Likes

Hi all,
I was hoping I could ask someone with a more informed perspective to chance me on BS/MD programs. I’m a current junior.

Stats:
ACT: 34
GPA: 3.95 (UW), 4.56 (W) → (by the end of junior year)

• Bs in calc and bio junior yr first sem :expressionless:

Asian, Female

APs (by the end of junior year):
AP World - 4
AP Calc AB
AP Bio

Articulated Courses from College: AP Lang, AP Lit, APUSH, AP Gov/Econ, AP Statistics

Dual Enrollment: I’ll have around 65 units of community college courses done by the time I graduate and get an associate’s degree. Not all courses get articulated onto my high school transcript, however.

ECs:
Science Olympiad – since 9th grade
HOSA – since 9th grade
Tutored high school students – since 9th grade – 100 hrs

• Placed at the international level
    10th - Virtual Shadowing – 100 hrs
    10th - Founded a club (president) – donated over 100 items to local homeless shelters
    10th - Summer Internship (shadowing) at UCSF – 3 weeks
    11th - Currently working on an anesthetics review paper with a Stanford professor (most likely be published before college apps)
    11th - Volunteering at Sutter – will have around 100 hours
    11th - NTHS
    3 Leadership Positions at various clubs

Thank you!

Congratulations !! Can you share few details on when you were interviewed and when you got accepted, when do you have to confirm/enroll by?

I interviewed on January 10th, and I just received the phone call from the admissions director tonight! Everyone who gets accepted ends up getting a call, if I remember correctly.

I’m not sure about the enrollment/confirmation date yet, but it said in an email a few weeks ago that the decisions from that first interview date should be done by late-February and early-March.

3 Likes

Congratulations again !! Do you know any stats like how many they interviewed sofar ? How many do they accept? some of us are hold for comparision status and i think they will only call more people only if someone drops out

Congratulations!

Do you have any stats you can share?

Congratulations.
In the past Upstate has given 2 weeks to accept the offer.

What type of questions did the interviewers ask you for SUNY Upstate?

Congratulations!!

Already did my interview today. Sent while back in like Dec/Jan

2 Likes

You have a good competitive profile. However, BSMD admissions are ultra-competitive. So, strategy is very important when you apply to BSMD programs. With the right strategy, you will get into at least one BSMD program.

You should take the ACT again and aim for 36 or at least 35. Apply to 12-15 BSMD programs and another 4-6 UG. As you come up with your college list, do keep in mind what is important to you - merit scholarships, top schools.

Don’t decide on favorites while applying. Rarely do the students get into their favorite college but usually students are pleasantly surprised to find that the college they got into was a good/right fit for them!

2 Likes

There were about 30~ students interviewed on my date. Upstate has a lot of affiliated schools; if I remember correctly, most schools interview 10~ candidates for 5 slots, while a few (Syracuse and UAlbany I think) interview 15~ candidates for 10 slots.

I’m not sure exactly how many interview dates they have, but I wish you all the best of luck!

4 Likes

Congrats!

Agree with what @Vicky2019 said.

2 Bs may hurt for some programs. e.g., Pitt.
Make sure you maintain your As in this semester and your senior year.

Transcripts: Make sure both your Community College transcript and your high school transcript are sent at the time of application.

Hopefully, you will create your “magic” with your essays.
Apply broadly.

1 Like

Thank you. Which programs do you think I would have a chance at? This might be the wrong thread, but can you also recommend some undergrads?

Also, since the Bs were in AP classes, would getting 5s on the AP exams make up for this? (my teacher was absent for a big chunk of the semester)

1 Like

Congrats. We got the call from Dr.Ripa too. So excited!!!

4 Likes

Congrats. What is your feeder school?

Do we have to submit mid year to BU? Our is year report is delayed due to snow days