Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Re: MSU DO

My son said it was a rapid fire question session. 15 minutes and they were done. This included their questions for him and his questions for them. He said the person talked really fast.

@Dad2013 - if you are denied for the BA/MD BU SMED program you will not be considered for regular admission.
You can find this in the below BU link -
https://www.bu.edu/admissions/apply/first-year/accelerated-medical-requirements
Check for the below sentence -
" Applicants to the Accelerated Program will be considered only for admission to this program."

2 Likes

Applied to seven BS/MD programs, rejected pre-interview from five of them (Tech, Case, Rice, GW, REMS). I donā€™t really see whatā€™s going wrong (1550 superscore, significant research and community service involvement, hundreds of hours shadowing/volunteering in hospital, etc got my essays reviewed) and Iā€™m feeling really scared/discouraged for the regular round schools. I have been admitted to safeties, including UT Austin. Any advice, since many of you have done this before?

which programs do you have left to hear from?

You applied to some of the hardest programs and at the end of the day it comes down to 80% luck/chance so you shouldnā€™t beat yourself up about it too much. Regular rounds are a LOT easier to get admission in and thatā€™s saying something since theyā€™re already notoriously hard, you got into UTA which is a fantastic school Iā€™m sure you have a bright future as a doctor ahead of you.

UT Austin is a great school especially if you were accepted into their college of honors program (CNS). They accept only 50 students out of 3,000 or more that applies to the program. You will get a good education there and will be able to pursue medical school afterwards. Donā€™t fell defeated. Remember it only takes one yes. Good luck!

1 Like

@haveaniceday624
This application cycle appears added a little extra wild spin when compared to past application cycles. @NoviceDad explained in the thread below.
Applying widely (a dozen plus) is a way to increase your acceptance chances. Applying to 7 programs only, narrows your acceptance chances further. You probably knew this before. Anyhow good luck with the rest of the 2 programs on your list.
You arenā€™t alone in the reject train, there were so many before and even now went through or going through this besides having stellar stats. Keep your traditional route open, the average traditional route applicant applies to nearly 25-30 medical schools. Try to maintain 3.8+ GPA and 515+ MCAT score to increase your chances in the traditional route, in the event you end up choosing that one. TX state medical school favors in-state students largely. If you want to become a physician, you can reach your goal one way or another, BSMD isnā€™t the only way.
You may want to look into @RiceBits Dā€™s success story in the traditional path.

1 Like

Wowā€¦ Donā€™t lose heart .

I am guessing you are from TX and you choose some of the toughest colleges that gets more applications to get in ( I would have chosen GA, AL)

You still have 2 colleges (donā€™t know where those are and good luck)

Here are suggestions

1. If nothing else , try Early assurances colleges so u still have option to get into MD at Sophomore year
  2. If u get good MCAT u can still go traditional

Donā€™t lose hopeā€¦ good luckā€¦

Now for the post analysis on what ā€œcould have or should haveā€ (no use but for other folks in future, IMO no offense intended)

With Superbowl weekā€¦and to use that as an analogy, we have to get into ā€œfield goal rangeā€ and then try for ā€œtouch downā€ (i.e. atleast get some safe colleges first and then try ā€œreachā€)

I would have done at least 5+ more colleges and spread them out

Again nothing is lostā€¦ good luck

1 Like

What is your gpa? What programs do you have left to hear from? Any hooks? Donā€™t give up hope! Your journey has only started and bs/mdā€™s are the extreme minority of kids who become doctors.

There is NOTHING wrong with you.
The BS/MD process is tough with a <3% chance of getting in.
A number of factors play a role in getting an interview.

@cheer2021 has referenced my previous post which shares some of these factors.

I also have a blog on my website which discusses a simple binomial probability model on the impact of the number of colleges a student applies to. The blog discusses just the mathematical probability and does not factor in any other variables. (I cannot share my website as per CC rules but a google search will hopefully take you there).

2 Likes

My D had her NJMS interview with Dr. Michael Leaā€¦ he was a tough interviewer. Has anyone had him?

NJMS has some tough interviewers from what I have heard.
Did they ask hard questions? Or what do you mean by tough?

He didnā€™t ask any of the expected questions such as: ā€œTell me about yourselfā€ or resume questions at all really, why NJMS, or medical ethicsā€¦ I donā€™t know too in detail, but my D says he asked very specific and difficult questions

Got an interview invite for Rowan BS/DO!

3 Likes

Congratulations on the Rowan BS/DO Interview. When did you get it? Was it an email?

Congratulations on the Rowan BS/DO Interview. When did you get it? Was it an email? Also is the interview for their Under grad or the DO medical school?

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. After getting rejected from Texas Tech BS/MD today and typing this message, I got a notification saying I was a semifinalist for the Notre Dame merit scholarships aka a likely letter! Iā€™m very excited for this and will try not to lose hope for my last two BS/MD schools. Most of the places I applied are for regular undergrad anyway and I know I only applied to the ā€œtopā€ BS/MDs so rejection is more likely than not.

9 Likes

What are the interview dates for upstate. Did anyone get a slot for March.

Thanks a lot.

This BU issue is really confusing and frustrating. My DD called and they said interviews were no longer being given out. So she switched to UG. Hoping that wasnā€™t a mistake.

2 Likes