Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that BS/MD is advantageous despite MCAT requirement as other heavy Extracurriculars are not binding. You may do research/shadowing if you want, but no strict time requirement. This way you can get adequate time for studying to meet MCAT and GPA requirement.
For a regular pre med- meeting good extracurriculars that show you well on AMCAS application to get selected is stressful and can lead to lower GPA/MCAT etc.

This would be helpful in that regard to help the new BSMD students.

2 Likes

It is tough on the kids with a 6 year program. The first two years might be intense. Umkc does not have an McAT requirement.

1 Like

Oh! yeah - I didn’t remember previously that Howard is a 6 years program. Maybe that is why students find it so hard since they would need to take MCAT at the end of 1st year itself!

not to mention - It would be pretty daunting to take all MCAT required courses by the end of first year as well such as Organic Chemistry I & II including lab!

1 Like

@Aum2022 - You are right. GPA, MCAT, and EC requirement for regular route MD would be pretty difficult compared to BSMD. However, all BSMD programs are not equal. Some of these programs have difficult requirements compared to other BSMD requirements. So, need to see the fine print on graduating requirements before committing!

In any case, the regular route will be difficult since you will be competing with a larger crowd and there is no guarantee the adcom will even see your application. On the other hand, by its very nature, BSMD programs make the requirements easier than their regular route MD incoming class. Also, you have a semi-guaranteed seat in medical school - all students need to do is to meet all their graduating requirements.

For example, Brown BSMD students need 3.0 GPA to graduate to med school and there is no MCAT requirement.

Whereas the acceptance rate for Brown regular route MD is 2.13%

• Average total GPA = 3.83
  • Science GPA = 3.77
  • Average MCAT = 517
2 Likes

Univ of Arizona interviews came out

2 Likes

Did you get the interview? Can you please share more info ?

I agree partly with this. BS/MD acceptance rate is much lower (1-2%; many high achieving students are not selected) while traditional route is better (overall and not just Brown- I think 30-40% acceptance rate).
Just that the whole traditional process is a marathon and requires commitment and more stressful compared to those who already got into a BS/MD program (who also may have MCAT requirements). But not compared to getting into a BS/MD program so to speak.

1 Like

yes.

2 Likes

email says that they are sending invitations till march 5th.

Has anyone had NJMS interview after being forwarded from Rutgers?

My D also waiting but havent heard back, but her friend got interview request yesterday.

1 Like

Thanks for the update

2 Likes

508 is about 72-75 percentile.
For PMM students, it is easily doable
You have to prepare for it seriously.
Except for 1-2, practically all PMM students score >90 percentile.
One of my PMM students scored a 523.

2 Likes

I think you are comparing incorrect stats.

BS/MD - as a whole - the acceptance rate is about 15-20%.
About 5000-6000 unique students apply for about ~1000 seats (across all BS/MD programs).

Traditional route - as a whole - it is about 40%.
About 51,000 unique students apply for about ~21,000 seats.

However, at an individual BS/MD program level, the rate is about 0.5 to 3%.
For example, 3200 students applied to Case and only 15-20 will be accepted.

Similarly, at an individual medical school level, the rate during traditional route is about ~ 2.4%
Nearly 900,000 applications for ~21,000 seats.

So, at the individual school/program level, the competition is as intense in both the BS/MD and traditional route.

But, in the traditional route, you are competing with students from atleast 3 different years - current seniors, students with 1 gap year, students with 2 gaps years and non-traditional students.
Plus, if you are an ORM i.e. Asian American, you will be subjected to arbitrary policies like not more than x% of student body can be Asian American.

3 Likes

How long should the students prep for MCAT? What materials are popularly used? Are their any mock tests available for students?

does the limitation of asian students apply to BS MD programs as well?

1 Like

Thank you ! Any idea how many students applied to this program ?

1 Like

At a few programs.
Example: Brown - not more than 15-20% are Asians.

1 Like

I will send you a DM.

1 Like