Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Thank you

no. last year they had 100 applicants according to their virtual event I attended

thanks

1 Like

are you from arizona or rural area? they said they have some preferences

oh ok. We are from bay area, CA.

I see your point. I guess it will be difficult from now on for those of us who didn’t get into any BS/MD
we only applied 6 programs, should have applied more widely.

Valid points
 but there is a “huge disadvantage” in BSMD if

• You are in West Coast or in other places other than East coast (particularly NJ,NY,PA)

In the case of traditional there are many more MD colleges (almost 2/3 in each state) so you got more opportunities (so does applications)

I also believe your # of unique students for BSMD about 5000 is “very less” (I knew in some BSMD letters they said they got more than 1000+ applications)

Short answer

BSMD: Less seat 
 lesser applications (related to traditional) 
 odds sound better (depends on location, race, gpa etc.,)
Traditional : More seat
 more applications (related to BSMD) 
 odds little bad (still depends on race, Gpa etc., but location/region is removed as you got more shots)

JMHO

I agree with you that the 5000-6000 total applicants is inaccurate. I attended the parent’s session for UMKC last week and they had a total of 1710 applicants for this cycle (Fall 2021)

The total applicants across all BSMD will be way way double if not triple that estimate

Some of the BSMD programs are IMO weed out also. Once you enter, there are many requirements including GPA, MCAT, EC and some with another applications and essays for med school. You really have to read program requirements
I guess when you Google, Collegevine gives the top BSMD programs too.
IMO, if you are certain about being a doctor, BSMD are more guaranteed and less stressful. But if you don’t get any BSMD, regular route works too.

2 Likes

Many people miss the other (important IMO) option .

That’s the EA (Early Assurance) 
 some of them fall under BSMD but many don’t (say like Loyola and many more) and it’s used interchangeably with traditional method.

Here you got an option to jump ahead of the line (like Disney line :)) on the 3rd year itself or even after the 4th year, you have “pre-reserved queue” i.e., jump ahead of normal candidates.

(Edited to add other point)

BTW all the programs “will weed out” by GPA, MCAT etc.,
All BSMD programs do have these requirements (some don’t have MCAT but GPA, requirements, volunteer, shadowing and many more are same)

There is no easy way to cut out 

I see that SUNY Upstate has an early assurance program. I understand that undergraduates from any university can apply? Why are they also asking for high school SAT/ACT after two years of UG ? does not make sense.

Many want to see 
 how you performed in the high school (maybe) with respect to where you are now.

It’s their rule and their game :slight_smile:

1 Like

One final point

One of my friend son
 .got into BSMD from PITT and after 4th year, he opted out and wrote MCAT to get into TUFFTs. (He felt he want to go somewhere else or maybe something else).

Received rejection from Oklahoma

1 Like

But isn’t Pitt a much better ranked school that Tufts? Was it because it was hard to maintain the required gpa at Pitt BSMD?

The BSMD journey is full of surprises. My D is wait-listed for Upstate, which at this point I don’t expect to hear from anyways and here we get a call from Syracuse saying that she received their full tuition Coronat scholarship. Same thing with VCU, got a Presidential scholarship on one hand and a reject from BSMD on other. If only the admits & scholarships came from the same place. :slight_smile:

To clarify, VCU was a reject even before an interview & Upstate was a waitlist before interview as well

As an adult I can say 
 it’s Kids :slight_smile: LOL

He had the GPA (If not he wouldn’t have been in Tuffs either) .
But seriously, no idea (maybe location or other things he didn’t like)

It’s just an example to show that “changes may happen” and there is “No Guarantee” in BSMD or traditional.

2 Likes

@Aum2022
In the traditional route: Before you test your 30-40% chances you need to know that a large percentage of pre-med students get dropped out, unfortunately. With respect to Doyen Rainey, only about 17% of US Freshmen pre-meds earn admission to med school. You need to be in the appx 17% lucky ones who survive traditional route premed dropouts before testing your 30-40% chances in the MD School admission. Your 30-40% chances arent’ flat across the board, as your chances vary by GPA and MCAT score and obviously ECs, LORs and gap year, etc. You may look at the AAMC data below. Weed out courses in the premed could dent the GPA, and many pre-meds “quit” when they get grades in required courses that are too low to have much chance for success. A majority of MD schools average the MCAT score, so even if you get an MCAT score of 520 in the second shot, and if your first shot score is on the low side, then your avg MCAT score fell in between. Besides all these, if you are motivated, committed to a physician career path, maintain a 3.8+ UG GPA, and target 515+ MCAT score, besides having ECs, internships, UG research experience, and strong LORs then the traditional path is there for you to explore. 95% of MD seats are filled through the traditional path. For 2018-2019, AAMC reports an average of 16 applications per applicant. Practically speaking, many known premed students have applied to at least 20-25. Good luck.

AAMC Data: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees to U.S. MD-Granting Medical Schools, 2019-2020 through 2021-2022 (aggregated)
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2021-11/2021_FACTS_Table_A-23.pdf

AAMC Data: MCAT Scores and GPAs for Applicants and Matriculants to U.S. MD-Granting Medical Schools by Race/Ethnicity, 2021-2022
https://www.aamc.org/media/6066/download

3 Likes

I see that even with the > 3.7 GPA and > 517 MCAT, acceptance rate is 83% (not all who fall into this range will make it). They can’t make it any harder to be physicians in US- no wonder there is physician shortage most seen in this corona epidemic