Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Anyone heard from rems?

i thought your D got accepted into some BSMD program (apologize if i misspoke)

Either way 
 there is still some hope.

Good luck

@Aum2022
Yes, you need to relate that to the other AAMC data: Races and Ethnicity. MD Schools just can’t fill the class with all URMs or a majority of URMs. Your ECs, Internships, Research experience, LORs, Gap year, etc will also play a role in the interview and acceptance. IMO, states need to invest more in medical college education. TX MD school # of applicants on par with the number of instate seats in there, but not CA.

2 Likes

Re: BS/MD applicants

Assuming an average of 12 applications per student, we are looking at collectively 60,000 to 70,000 applications from about 5,000 - 6,000 students to those ~1,000 seats.

An individual college getting 1000 to 1700 or 3200 application are all in the same realm of possibility.

Excellent points.

I see a trend of more applications per student.
Also, if you are a CA undergrad, the average shoots up to ~28 applications/student.

Also, even after the weed-out classes, Ivies like Penn can only get ~76% of their (survived) students to ANY medical school and this includes students with gap years.

Someone letting go of Pitt to go to Tufts - That seems very strange.
Students from Ivies want to get into Pitt medicine.

Must have some other angle as well.

1 Like

Yes, you’re correct, we have a Penn-Jefferson admit. Definitely thankful for the one.

Maintaining 3.75 GPA at Pitt is not at all difficult.

3 Likes

Tufts has a great reputation too so again don’t know what his son thought process was, but he wanted to do it and did it.

Just want to show to the original post that there are no guarantees in BSMD and people opinion/preferences change.

2 Likes

msu d.o. omsp program admission decisions are out
did anyone get in?

So sorry for the rejection; hang in there and good luck with the rest of the schools you’re waiting on.

You are right. Various BSMD’s have different criteria that they look for in students. Moreover, diversity in terms of geography, race etc. also plays a part.
It is pretty common for students to get into atmost 2-3 bsmd programs and to be rejected by others even if they got interviewed by 4-6 programs.

1 Like

In the past, one of the girls I know moved from UAB’s EMSAP program to UMass (in-state). She was homesick and ended up with health-issues due to which she simply could not continue there. She ended up coming home in 4th year and attended classes remotely then She wrote MCAT and moved closer to home!
So, sometimes even a better MD school can’t hold students away from parents.

Our DS got it!!!

9 Likes

congrats!! my D got in too!

10 Likes

Awesome, congratulations!!

UCincinnati Interviews are ongoing.

@wriite21012, @Guard - Congratulations on admit to msu d.o. omsp program

1 Like

@wriite21012, @Guard - Congrats on admission

Just wondering with all the college decisions coming soon, can anyone attest whether a BSMD program is worth it over a prestigious ivy league undergrad?